• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those 6 ft. Monster Posters From The ‘60s
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 6:16 PM, iggy said:

I’ll bet that the production changed over the years, possibly to keep postage costs as low as possible. In the red box on the ad that Jayman posted it says expensive heavy varnished paper- that looks like the Dracula example. The Frankenstein- hard to really tell from the photo, but looks less varnished and possibly lighter weight paper. They may have switched to the cheap and lighter weight plastic years later...?

I'll ask my buddy he will know.  The guy who wrote that book and has the largest comic novelty collection in the world including the only polaris sub still in existence.  Many of his items were featured in Mail Order Mysteries.

On 9/12/2021 at 7:17 PM, Readcomix said:

They were pretty disappointing, with very dark green backgrounds, like a wet seaweed color. The skeleton looked cool but Frankenstein didn’t pop very much.

CPS should have been called for all the trauma those comic ads put kids thru.  This one got me.

Screenshot 2021-09-12 7.25.59 PM.png

Edited by kav

ok my buddy says the frankenstein is a british knock off not the original-worth maybe $150.  the dracula is the orig worth $500.

@iggy

Edited by kav

the second print posters were 7 foot.  these are 6 foot first print and knock off.

the 7 feet ones are worth about the same as the 6 feet.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:09 PM, iggy said:

Thanks for looking into that, great info! (thumbsu

he went honor house when they closed and got 11 frankensteins and 12 skeletons-the british one is likely from a warehouse find where 100 posters were discovered-there are over 1000 of these out there.  the original frankenstein is extremely rare.  he estimates there are less than 20 of the original frankensteins in existence.

i can give you his contact info if you are interested he knows everything about comic novelties.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:15 PM, iggy said:

Did he know about the plastic posters?

absolutely he knows everything.  he says he has never experienced paint loss.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:37 PM, iggy said:

I’d like to see a clip of that- maybe post a link here or otherwise tag me when that happens...

I saw an episode where rick said he always wanted the polaris sub as a kid so i called eddie immediately.  he contacted pawn stars and they were excited.  I said either pawn stars or the smithsonian-thats where the sub belongs-the only one left of this cultural icon.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, iggy said:

Not mine, someone posted this on Facebook from one of my groups:

F9BCE8EB-CEB7-4791-9907-9A288FAB4842.jpeg

The Dracula to the left is Real Lowell toy company out of Long Island NY. The one to the right is a latter Knock Off from Britain. The one to the right has bottom section where there is a dark line which is glued and has a cardboard across top and bottom. These were sold in Warren Magazines and came with little rubber toys. The Real original Dracula's partner looks better has a smaller head and is very detailed like his Dracula friend. You could see these two in the book mail order mysteries. These inside the book are all mine originals. Eddie from houseoftheunusual.com