• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those 6 ft. Monster Posters From The ‘60s
1 1

54 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 10:39 PM, kav said:

I saw an episode where rick said he always wanted the polaris sub as a kid so i called eddie immediately.  he contacted pawn stars and they were excited.  I said either pawn stars or the smithsonian-thats where the sub belongs-the only one left of this cultural icon.

Oh wow, when you first mentioned it, I figured it could be a cringe moment where Rick shoots him down. This should be a cool outcome if he’s always wanted one... possible legit offer... wonder if your buddy would sell.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:45 PM, iggy said:

Oh wow, when you first mentioned it, I figured it could be a cringe moment where Rick shoots him down. This should be a cool outcome if he’s always wanted one... possible legit offer... wonder if your buddy would sell.

Rick would definitely not shoot him down.  This would be a very high dollar item.  Rare as audobon's book on birds-one copy.

Back then they would promise anything to seperate kids (and adults) from their money.  If they had thought of it they would have had an ad for solar and wind powered clothes dryer-what you recieve-a piece of string.
In one of jerzy kozinski's books he talked about a friend who made a fortune putting an ad in newspapers and maazines around the country for "three original ticklers".  what you recieved-3 feathers.

On 9/12/2021 at 11:52 PM, kav said:

Its not even something rick would need to sell-just owning it would bring a lot of attention.  

But it being “1 of a kind”, what would be the ballpark? He usually brings in one of his experts but with no previous sales to set a bar, there’s no way he doesn’t low ball the owner, who hopefully get’s at least close to what he’s asking. 🤞🏼

On 9/12/2021 at 9:02 PM, B2D327 said:

But it being “1 of a kind”, what would be the ballpark? He usually brings in one of his experts but with no previous sales to set a bar, there’s no way he doesn’t low ball the owner, who hopefully get’s at least close to what he’s asking. 🤞🏼

All you do is estimate-I wouldnt go lower than $20,000

On 9/12/2021 at 9:02 PM, B2D327 said:

He has the original large envelope it came in and everything.

On 9/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, kav said:

Back then they would promise anything to seperate kids (and adults) from their money.  If they had thought of it they would have had an ad for solar and wind powered clothes dryer-what you recieve-a piece of string.
In one of jerzy kozinski's books he talked about a friend who made a fortune putting an ad in newspapers and maazines around the country for "three original ticklers".  what you recieved-3 feathers.

Nowadays we have baldness cures and health and beauty product scam ads that promise the moon.  weight loss is huge.  "burn fat".  If some product could actually 'burn fat'-you would die.  the laws of thermodynamics would make sure of this.  

On 9/13/2021 at 12:07 AM, kav said:

He has the original large envelope it came in and everything.

Definitely adds a premium since it’s highly unlikely one as complete exists. Your friend may do better with an auction house where the boys with the big bucks would get into a bidding war over it just for bragging rights. I can think of quite a few big spenders in Rick’s age group that might want it a lot more than he does

On 9/12/2021 at 9:14 PM, B2D327 said:

Definitely adds a premium since it’s highly unlikely one as complete exists. Your friend may do better with an auction house where the boys with the big bucks would get into a bidding war over it just for bragging rights. I can think of quite a few big spenders in Rick’s age group that might want it a lot more than he does

part of the deal is he wants to draw attention to his website and book but yes.  There is only one pic on the entire internet of the polaris sub.  The only thing harder to find is a pic of the side zipper shirts that were common in the 80s-I have the only one.  I have never ever seen one of these shirts for sale anywhere.

Screenshot 2021-09-12 9.17.31 PM.png

I showed Kav this in a PM, it came to mind after all the talk about comic book novelties. I made this mural for my friend’s grunge era alternative rock bar in 1993. It’s 4 4x8 Masonite panels so 8x16 overall. It portrays a comic laid out flat... staples and all. It came back to me after the bar closed and I ended up selling it to another bar owning friend. It’s now hanging in the small concert area of his bar.

EF60BC83-79AF-46B3-B63D-A31C11AB6B42.jpeg

Edited by iggy

On 9/12/2021 at 11:14 PM, B2D327 said:

Hake’s comes to mind. They specialize in pop culture and PREMIUMS.

Edited by iggy