• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Spangled Comics 1

22 posts in this topic

Does anyone think this book is undervalued or may see long term appreciation? Has several 1st appearances but not sure they will ever be “popular”. I love the cover and the book but don’t want to spend big money on a book while everything else 💰💰📈.

thanks!!

I would agree. Buy it if you like it but don’t expect it to rise a whole lot in value. Even #7 is pretty weak. 

Personally, I like the Robin run starting with #65. Lots of Batman appearances. I also like the backup features like Tomahawk, Capt. Compass, Robotman and others. All enjoyable reads if I can find them cheap. 

I’m still waiting for Worlds Finest and Comic Cavalcade to come out of their slumber. In the meantime, I’m scooping up the bargain copies when they present themselves. 

I think the weak covers hurt them a lot. 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:26 AM, Robot Man said:

I would agree. Buy it if you like it but don’t expect it to rise a whole lot in value. Even #7 is pretty weak. 

Personally, I like the Robin run starting with #65. Lots of Batman appearances. I also like the backup features like Tomahawk, Capt. Compass, Robotman and others. All enjoyable reads if I can find them cheap. 

I’m still waiting for Worlds Finest and Comic Cavalcade to come out of their slumber. In the meantime, I’m scooping up the bargain copies when they present themselves. 

I think the weak covers hurt them a lot. 

Prices on those later Star Spangled issues with Robin and Tomahawk have really moved in the last ten years; bargains no longer.

Comic Cavalcade has been a sleeper since the seventies; covers are really bad on that series.

On 9/14/2021 at 10:46 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Prices on those later Star Spangled issues with Robin and Tomahawk have really moved in the last ten years; bargains no longer.

Comic Cavalcade has been a sleeper since the seventies; covers are really bad on that series.

Yeah especially ones with Batman on the cover. Luckily, I bagged those early. They really are good reads cover to cover. 

I would disagree on the Cavalcade covers. Lots of holiday ones which as you folks know I have a soft spot for. The issue with Solomon Grundy is a tough and pricy one. 

Edited by Robot Man

Here's a screen grab of the first 29 covers from GCD. I'd agree the Christmas / Holiday covers are pretty fun but beyond that they don't do much for me. The last issue I owned was number 11 which may be one of the worse!! Most of these don't show up too often; it's a great concept for a book though with three of All American's top headliners inside.

image.thumb.png.6fb159c7714482e7e1dab7bcd6e2584a.png

On 9/14/2021 at 10:46 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The Promise books set records, except that SS 65 was a little lower than I thought. 

On 9/14/2021 at 12:39 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Here's a screen grab of the first 29 covers from GCD. I'd agree the Christmas / Holiday covers are pretty fun but beyond that they don't do much for me. The last issue I owned was number 11 which may be one of the worse!! Most of these don't show up too often; it's a great concept for a book though with three of All American's top headliners inside.

image.thumb.png.6fb159c7714482e7e1dab7bcd6e2584a.png

I like #1 a whole lot but after that I agree nothing special…

68E9AE9C-2666-494F-B985-E57796078815.jpeg.7070e1a26da33dfa6256dc7105894dc9.jpeg

D42410D2-4ACF-42CF-8D01-EDA9A15DFD61.jpeg.b8f01755cd6c29f51ae1346d1f547034.jpeg

Perhaps Pre-Simon and Kirby books are not exciting, it was a collection of "also-rans," but if there are Meskin Vigilante stories the early books might be good buys.  Superman, Batman and World's Finest also had lame covers, particularly after 1943-4. 

As far as later issues, Star Spangled #19 is one of the greatest covers of the Golden Age. Though not usually mentioned in surveys I've seen.

RCO001_1471425624.jpg

On 9/16/2021 at 5:29 AM, GLD said:

Perhaps Pre-Simon and Kirby books are not exciting, it was a collection of "also-rans," but if there are Meskin Vigilante stories the early books might be good buys.  Superman, Batman and World's Finest also had lame covers, particularly after 1943-4. 

As far as later issues, Star Spangled #19 is one of the greatest covers of the Golden Age. Though not usually mentioned in surveys I've seen.

RCO001_1471425624.jpg

Wow that is a beauty; I  never noticed that before. Price just went up $1K due to your post!!

On 9/16/2021 at 3:33 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow that is a beauty; I  never noticed that before. Price just went up $1K due to your post!!

Ha! Good thing I bought low, time to unload. Now to talk down pre-Robin Detectives and get in cheap.  I'm glad you like it, the cover captivated my imagination like few others did, It took along time for me to find one. Pre-internet.

Edited by GLD

On 9/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, Robot Man said:

Yeah, that #19 IS quite the cover. There are actually quite a few nice covers in the run. And, they span the ever changing popular characters of the time. 

comstarspangled28.jpg

comstarspangled74.jpg

comstarspangled79.jpg

comstarspangled92.jpg

comstarspangled116.jpg

comstarspangled122.jpg

comstarspangled130.jpg

Ray Storch up in the Bay Area got me buying those Star Spangled with the Tomahawk in them at Wonder Con when it was still at the Moscone Center. He had boxes; as usual I should have bought more!

I love Ray. He always had the coolest stuff buried in those boxes. He has always had a great eye and did not steer you wrong. 

I don’t read a lot of Westerns but Tomahawk has always been my favorite. I love American history and find the Revolutionary war facinating probably because of my US history teacher Mr Meadows in high school. I used to cut some classes :devil: but never missed his. Over the years, I’ve made a lot of money because of him. 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:35 PM, Robot Man said:

I love Ray. He always had the coolest stuff buried in those boxes. He has always had a great eye and did not steer you wrong. 

I don’t read a lot of Westerns but Tomahawk has always been my favorite. I love American history and find the Revolutionary war facinating probably because of my US history teacher Mr Meadows in high school. I used to cut some classes :devil: but never missed his. Over the years, I’ve made a lot of money because of him. 

I was disappointed last month as I didn't see him at the Berkeley Con; I thought he would be there. The first time I met him he told me he picked up a lot of material up in Oregon years ago to fill those boxes. It was a real treasure hunt for me as those obscure fifties DC's are really fun books.

I grew up on the Battle of Monmouth field of action; next to a pond that would have been a water source for the British who had camped out just down the road. They burned down my ancestor's home as they were patriots; the real stories of this war are gruesome and brutal nothing like in the history books. When I read how they mounted Tory heads on pikes on the way into town you start to get sense of how bad it must have been. And reprisals went on for many years after the war ended with the property of Tories being taken by Patriots.

Check out the television series Washington's Spies; you'd enjoy it I think.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs