• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRENDEL on NETFLIX!
2 2

21 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix has given an eight-episode series order to Grendel, a series based on the masked vigilante from Matt Wagner’s popular, award-winning Dark Horse comic book series, with Abubakr Ali (Power Book II: Ghost, Katy Keene) set to star in the titular role. With Ali’s casting, he becomes the first Arab Muslim male actor to portray a series lead in a comic book adaptation. The series, written and executive produced by Resident Evil and Supernatural alum Andrew Dabb, comes out of Netflix’s first look deal with Dark Horse Entertainment.

Also joining the cast are Jaime Ray Newman (Dopesick, The Time Traveler’s Wife), Julian Black Antelope (The Flash, Debris), Madeline Zima (Californication, Hacks), Kevin Corrigan (Scenes from an Empty Church, The Get Down), Emma Ho (Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, The Expanse), Erik Palladino (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Watchmen), Brittany Allen (What Keeps You Alive)and Andy Mientus (The Flash, Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings). Read more about their characters below.

Well that's a welcome surprise. The one thing I had hoped was that due to all the MCU popularity we would start to see companies mine other non-marvel/dc properties, and hitting up Dark Horse is a dream for me. Let's hope this does well and even gives us some glimpses of Grendel Prime :D (which actually had a new modern comics series recently)

On 9/14/2021 at 4:20 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Well that's a welcome surprise. The one thing I had hoped was that due to all the MCU popularity we would start to see companies mine other non-marvel/dc properties, and hitting up Dark Horse is a dream for me. Let's hope this does well and even gives us some glimpses of Grendel Prime :D (which actually had a new modern comics series recently)

One of my Copper Age favorites!

While speaking exclusively with Screen Rant to discuss his role in Prey, Julian Black Antelope opened up about Netflix's upcoming Grendel TV show. Though keeping mum on a timeline for its arrival, Antelope teased that comic book fans will be very pleased with how the project adapts the source material. See what Antelope shared below:

"It blew me away, Matt Wagner's comic has been around since I think the early '80s, 1982-83, somewhere in there. It's come out with so many different versions of Grendel, different iterations of it over the years, and it's got this fan base that I wasn't even aware existed. I don't want to say too much about this right now, but I can say if you're a Grendel comic fan out there and you're familiar with the comic, you will not be disappointed in the series at all. And if you are not a Grendel fan and this is a first-time thing for you, I guarantee you that if you watch it, you will not be disappointed at all. It's got everything, I feel very blessed to be part of the project. That's what I can say. I don't want to talk too much about it, I don't know what I'm allowed to say and what I'm not. [Chuckles]"

On 9/14/2021 at 1:54 PM, APDallas said:

Just read that Netflix ordered a 8 episode series based on Matt Wagner's GRENDEL. Better pull out those Comico Primers #2 in 5...4...3...2...

Better put away those Comico Primers and hope no one else decides to pick up an effort that apparently was such a steaming pile that Netflix said "yeah, we ain't going even upload those completed episode files to our servers" :headpat:

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/29/2022 at 4:47 PM, MAR1979 said:

Better put away those Comico Primers and hope no one else decides to pick up an effort that apparently was such a steaming pile that Netflix said "yeah, we ain't going even upload those completed episode files to our servers" :headpat:

I don't think that was the necessarily the case but rather the name associated with it. Keep in mind the failure that is Resident Evil is very fresh in the publics minds, and it was a very big failure for them, so putting more money towards ANY project by Andrew Dabb is going to be at a disadvantage (no matter how it turns out, good or bad, many will now think 'Grendel? From the guy who made Resident Evil on Netflix - no thanks, pass).

Better to cut their losses now with only filming complete (lots of cost left to even finish these, from editing to effects) and let someone else release it (that way Netflix can only benefit. If someone else releases it and it is crappy they are vindicated in cancelling it and look smart in saving the money, if on the other hand it ends up being good they can still claim credit as all the casting, writing, and filming was by them and people will still associate Netflix in some way with it)

Grendel has long been a favorite. I am hopeful we see a finished product somewhere. For some reason as soon as I saw this guy I think his body shape screams Grendel, not in every photo but in this one and a few others. this guy in the suit holding the staff would look fantastic, like the statue I think

netflix-grendel-comic-book-series-abubak

Julian Black Antelope is a solid 'background' actor.

Needed a better actor to carry a whole show, a recurring mistake in the comic book TV / Movie world atm.