• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signing by Jim Lee
2 2

30 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2021 at 1:46 AM, Andrew Mata said:

Question then…why doesn’t CGC provide us with this information either via email or website? Is it really too much of a professional courtesy to ask for this? Because of your customer’s willingness to pay for your products is the reason CGC has been able to expand their business….wouldn’t you agree?

I'm not saying they shouldn't have better communication, they should.  And when you're filling out the submission form they should definitely have something that CLEARLY states that specific date may not have been set yet, and that it can be anytime in the next X number of months.  And people should ask for those things, if they don't already exist (it may exist in the fine print, who reads that?).

BUT if your question is "Why don't they post when the signing will be?", I'd play a bit of devil's advocate with yourself.  Because off the top of my head if  they posted it and it got delayed for any number of reasons (including that artists are not necessarily reliable about business stuff), you might end up with hundreds/thousands of people calling/emailing you about delays and reschedules and refunds, etc, instead of the 'dozens' or so now.  And it doesn't seem like they're hurting for customers, in fact they seem to be at max capacity on submissions anyway.  Why worry about losing demand in the short term when you can't keep up with demand anyways?

There's also the question of "Why can't they schedule it farther ahead of time specifically?"  Well CGC probably won't say it, but the amount of time needed is almost certainly dependent on how many submissions there are, but CGC can't know (and therefore can't specifically schedule) until they've processed all the books, and the amount of time it takes to process all the submissions depends on how much people send in, which they can't know ahead of time.   It's a huge difference in scheduling two full days of Jim Lee's time compared to 4 hours of Robert Downey Jr.'s time compared to half an hour of Todd McFarlane's time, etc, and in some cases there's more than one creator involved, etc.  

I totally understand what you’re saying. My thought process is, and this is more of an opinion than a concern at this point, is that it would be nice for CGC to post the following on their Web Site. “Due to. ..……..  the previously scheduled signing with the following Artist has been postponed, CGC will provide an update when one is available”

I really dont mind waiting…its the lack of communication and the wondering of whats going on with my Submission that kicks my OCD into over drive lol

Thanks for providing your perspective it was greatly appreciated!

On 10/7/2021 at 9:59 AM, revat said:

I'm not saying they shouldn't have better communication, they should.  And when you're filling out the submission form they should definitely have something that CLEARLY states that specific date may not have been set yet, and that it can be anytime in the next X number of months.  And people should ask for those things, if they don't already exist (it may exist in the fine print, who reads that?).

BUT if your question is "Why don't they post when the signing will be?", I'd play a bit of devil's advocate with yourself.  Because off the top of my head if  they posted it and it got delayed for any number of reasons (including that artists are not necessarily reliable about business stuff), you might end up with hundreds/thousands of people calling/emailing you about delays and reschedules and refunds, etc, instead of the 'dozens' or so now.  And it doesn't seem like they're hurting for customers, in fact they seem to be at max capacity on submissions anyway.  Why worry about losing demand in the short term when you can't keep up with demand anyways?

There's also the question of "Why can't they schedule it farther ahead of time specifically?"  Well CGC probably won't say it, but the amount of time needed is almost certainly dependent on how many submissions there are, but CGC can't know (and therefore can't specifically schedule) until they've processed all the books, and the amount of time it takes to process all the submissions depends on how much people send in, which they can't know ahead of time.   It's a huge difference in scheduling two full days of Jim Lee's time compared to 4 hours of Robert Downey Jr.'s time compared to half an hour of Todd McFarlane's time, etc, and in some cases there's more than one creator involved, etc.  

Clearly CGC didn't have this locked down, but decided to advertise this signing, and take our money. There is zero problems scheduling anything, you just find when Jim and company can commit 2-3 days, and you schedule it, and stay in communication with them, so that if adjustments have to be made, you can communicate them, and keep the customer base informed, and happy.