• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 121
3 3

13 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Last one today, but looking at getting this graded as well and would like any feedback on the potential grade. The back cover has a small crease in the corner, so i will have this "pressed" and hopefully it comes out. Also, i think the cover is a bit "dirty" on the right hand side?  I dont have another copy to compare it to, but its pretty nice overall. 

Any thoughts...? 

thanks again in advance!

xmen 121 cover.jpg

xmen 121 top right.jpg

xmen 121 bottom right.jpg

xmen 121 bottom left.jpg

xmen 121 top left.jpg

xmen 121 back.jpg

xmen 121 cover.jpg

Edited by Philiboy

Considering the minor surface wear and the 1" fold, I'd call it an 8.0. You should look into testing out a white eraser on that back cover to see if the dirt can dryclean out.

Uncanny X-Men #121 is a tricky one to grade because of the white cover. I found a CGC 8.0 copy that looks very clean and without much cover defect just from glancing at it... thought it was a 9.0 for sure... but I bought the Grader's Notes and apparently there were tiny color-breaking spine ticks along the spine that are very hard to see without a loupe. I did end up cracking mine out of the slab and just enjoy it as a reader copy.

The main defect is that fold in the back. If it doesn't complete press out, and if it still breaks color, a 1" crease wouldn't clear an 8.0 grade.

Looking at the shadowing on the crease, how there are shadows along two sides of the ridge... I think it could be difficult to take out.

It's still a gorgeous book. Nicely centered and with great colors.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:22 PM, gumption said:

The main defect is that fold in the back. If it doesn't complete press out, and if it still breaks color, a 1" crease wouldn't clear an 8.0 grade.

Looking at the shadowing on the crease, how there are shadows along two sides of the ridge... I think it could be difficult to take out.

It's still a gorgeous book. Nicely centered and with great colors.

Agreed.. 8 - 8.5 IMO