• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Marvel Zombies series.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I don't know much about pricing or about a lot of the series, but I do know their first appearance is in Ultimate Fantastic Four 21-23. Those issues might cost a bit, but you can grab issue 20, which technically has a cameo at the very last panel, for cheap I'm sure. 

Oh, and issue 21 has a variant cover as well.

Edited by BuraddoRun
More info

On 9/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, lostboys said:

I don't own any but am interested in collecting them all. Can someone educate me on the series and how much it may cost me to build a complete collection in NM condition. Key variants or crossovers included please

Thanks I'm advance!

Hopefully I'm not going to miss anything. Odds that I missed a random store variant or something are middling-fair here.

• Ultimate Fantastic Four #21-23, #30-32. UFF 20 has a sort of cameo intro to the Zombies story at the very end, and sometimes gets listed with the others for that reason. Your mileage may vary.
    • #21 has a variant cover.
    • #30 has two variant covers, one by Arthur Suydam and a 1:30 retailer incentive by Greg Land.
    • #31 has a 1:15 variant cover by Suydam.
    • #32 has a variant cover by Suydam.
  • Black Panther (2005 series) #27-30.
  • Marvel Zombies (2005) #1-5
    • #1 went all the way to a fourth printing; all four have unique covers.
    • #3-5 all have unique second printing covers.
  • Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness (2007) #1-5
    • #1 has a second printing cover, and a 3000-copy Dynamic Forces variant.
    • #3 has a 3000-copy variant cover.
  • Marvel Zombies: Dead Days (2007) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies: The Book of Angels, Demons, and Various Monstrosities (2007) one-shot
  • Marvel Spotlight: Marvel Zombies (2007) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies 2 (2008) #1-5
  • Marvel Zombies 3 (2008) #1-4
    • #1 had a variant cover, plus a new cover for the 2nd printing
  • Marvel Zombies 4 (2009) #1-4
    • #1, 3, and 4 all have ratio retailer incentive variants (1:20 for #1, 1:10 for the other two).
  • Marvel Zombies Return (2009) #1-5
    • #1 has a 1:50 ratio variant plus a 2nd printing.
    • #2 and 3 both have second printing covers.
  • Marvel Spotlight: Marvel Zombies Return (2009) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies: Evil Evolution (2009) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies (Marvel's Greatest Comics) (2010) #1. Reprints MZ 1.
  • Marvel Zombies 5 #1-5 (2010)
    • #2, #3, and #5 all have ratio variants.
  • Marvel Zombies Supreme (2011) #1-5
    • #1 has a 1:25 incentive variant
  • Marvel Zombies: Christmas Carol (2011) #1-5. You may or may not view this as part of the Marvel Zombies line, although it does have the branding.
  • Marvel Zombies Destroy (2012) #1-5
  • Marvel Zombies Halloween (2012) one-shot
  • Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies (2015) #1-4
    • Hoo boy. #1 has a 1:15 incentive (Nathan Fox), a 1:25 incentive (Rock-He Kim), a mostly-white cover (Pat Broderick) that I believe was a different 1:15 incentive, a Skottie Young variant, and a blank cover.
    • #2 has a 1:10 incentive variant
    • #3 has a 1:25 incentive variant
  • True Believers: Marvel Zombies (2015) #1. Reprints MZ 1.
  • Marvel Zombies Resurrection (2019) one-shot. This said it's the first issue of a new series, but that didn't happen; see also the actual series of the same name below.
    • Um, good luck. Variant cover by Jung-Geun Yoon, variant cover by Nick Bradshaw, 1:50 incentive variant by Greg Land, 1:200 (!) incentive virgin of the Yoon cover, and a 1:500 (!!!!) incentive virgin of the Land cover. Also store variants: Comics Elite (regular and virgin), Scorpion Comics (regular and virgin), Unknown Comics (regular and virgin).
  • Marvel Zombies Resurrection (2020) #1-4
    • #1 has a ton. Logan Lubera, Rian Gonzales, Stephanie Hans, Greg Land, Mike Mayhew (regular and virgin), Peach Momoko, Patrick Zircher, Diamond Retailer Summit variant (which, unlike many of these, isn't rare). Also store exclusives: ComicXposure (normal, virgin), Unknown Comics (normal, green, sketch, virgin).
    • #2 has two variant covers (Greg Land, Damian Scott) plus a 1:100 incentive virgin variant of the standard Inhyuk Lee cover.
    • #3 has two variant covers (Philip Tan, Leinil Francis Yu) plus a 1:100 incentive virgin variant of the standard Inhyuk Lee cover.
    • #4 has two variant covers (Skan, Ivan Shavrin) plus a 1:100 incentive virgin variant of the standard Inhyuk Lee cover.
  • Marvel Tales: Original Marvel Zombies (2020) one-shot. This a 104 page book that reprints UFF 21-23 + MZ 1. Do you consider this a giant-sized reprint book or a thin TPB? Up to you!
    • There's a 1:50 incentive virgin cover.

I didn't include Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth (or its variants or sequels), although Headpool is technically a Marvel Zombies spinoff character. If you're being really comprehensive, maybe also include Ultimate Civil War: Spider-Ham #1 (although that's technically a different Marvel Zombie universe than the "real" Marvel Zombie universe). There's also the Zombies Assemble and Zombies Assemble 2 minis, English adaptations of a manga story which is thematically similar, but also technically disjunct from the Marvel Zombies line.

If you're into really deep-dive variant collecting, an awful lot of these had newsstand distribution with distinguishable bar codes (I know the UFF issues do, Dead Days, and Christmas Carol; probably most of the rest up through 2011 or maybe 2012).

So, which books are the tough ones? All of the standard covers are reasonably obtained raw for a few dollars. UFF 21 is probably the most expensive of them, but even that's out there for under $20 for reasonably nice copies. CGC 9.8 books are a (zombie) horse of an entirely different color. UFF 21 and MZ 1 are crawling their way toward being $1000 books, if not there already, although some of that may be a bump from the What If... episode; we'll see if those prices stick (personally, I do not think that available supply is tight enough to warrant those values). As for the variants, well, most of them aren't too hard. This line has been really popular, so even the 1:50 incentives aren't too bad, at least raw. CGC 9.8 copies... well, it's finding some of them that's the challenge. Quite a few seem to go for the $50-100 "default" range for graded books that someone might, someday, buy. But not all of them.

Marvel Zombies Resurrection has the biggest exceptions to that. The two high-quantity incentive virgin variants of the 2019 book are very elusive (raw, graded, whatever), especially the 1:500. The 1:100 virgins from the 2020 title are a lot more widely available, but are running $50-100 raw, so there's that. Some of the store variants don't trade in high volumes, so are tougher to quantify.

On 9/18/2021 at 1:01 PM, Qalyar said:

Hopefully I'm not going to miss anything. Odds that I missed a random store variant or something are middling-fair here.

• Ultimate Fantastic Four #21-23, #30-32. UFF 20 has a sort of cameo intro to the Zombies story at the very end, and sometimes gets listed with the others for that reason. Your mileage may vary.
    • #21 has a variant cover.
    • #30 has two variant covers, one by Arthur Suydam and a 1:30 retailer incentive by Greg Land.
    • #31 has a 1:15 variant cover by Suydam.
    • #32 has a variant cover by Suydam.
  • Black Panther (2005 series) #27-30.
  • Marvel Zombies (2005) #1-5
    • #1 went all the way to a fourth printing; all four have unique covers.
    • #3-5 all have unique second printing covers.
  • Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness (2007) #1-5
    • #1 has a second printing cover, and a 3000-copy Dynamic Forces variant.
    • #3 has a 3000-copy variant cover.
  • Marvel Zombies: Dead Days (2007) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies: The Book of Angels, Demons, and Various Monstrosities (2007) one-shot
  • Marvel Spotlight: Marvel Zombies (2007) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies 2 (2008) #1-5
  • Marvel Zombies 3 (2008) #1-4
    • #1 had a variant cover, plus a new cover for the 2nd printing
  • Marvel Zombies 4 (2009) #1-4
    • #1, 3, and 4 all have ratio retailer incentive variants (1:20 for #1, 1:10 for the other two).
  • Marvel Zombies Return (2009) #1-5
    • #1 has a 1:50 ratio variant plus a 2nd printing.
    • #2 and 3 both have second printing covers.
  • Marvel Spotlight: Marvel Zombies Return (2009) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies: Evil Evolution (2009) one-shot
  • Marvel Zombies (Marvel's Greatest Comics) (2010) #1. Reprints MZ 1.
  • Marvel Zombies 5 #1-5 (2010)
    • #2, #3, and #5 all have ratio variants.
  • Marvel Zombies Supreme (2011) #1-5
    • #1 has a 1:25 incentive variant
  • Marvel Zombies: Christmas Carol (2011) #1-5. You may or may not view this as part of the Marvel Zombies line, although it does have the branding.
  • Marvel Zombies Destroy (2012) #1-5
  • Marvel Zombies Halloween (2012) one-shot
  • Age of Ultron vs. Marvel Zombies (2015) #1-4
    • Hoo boy. #1 has a 1:15 incentive (Nathan Fox), a 1:25 incentive (Rock-He Kim), a mostly-white cover (Pat Broderick) that I believe was a different 1:15 incentive, a Skottie Young variant, and a blank cover.
    • #2 has a 1:10 incentive variant
    • #3 has a 1:25 incentive variant
  • True Believers: Marvel Zombies (2015) #1. Reprints MZ 1.
  • Marvel Zombies Resurrection (2019) one-shot. This said it's the first issue of a new series, but that didn't happen; see also the actual series of the same name below.
    • Um, good luck. Variant cover by Jung-Geun Yoon, variant cover by Nick Bradshaw, 1:50 incentive variant by Greg Land, 1:200 (!) incentive virgin of the Yoon cover, and a 1:500 (!!!!) incentive virgin of the Land cover. Also store variants: Comics Elite (regular and virgin), Scorpion Comics (regular and virgin), Unknown Comics (regular and virgin).
  • Marvel Zombies Resurrection (2020) #1-4
    • #1 has a ton. Logan Lubera, Rian Gonzales, Stephanie Hans, Greg Land, Mike Mayhew (regular and virgin), Peach Momoko, Patrick Zircher, Diamond Retailer Summit variant (which, unlike many of these, isn't rare). Also store exclusives: ComicXposure (normal, virgin), Unknown Comics (normal, green, sketch, virgin).
    • #2 has two variant covers (Greg Land, Damian Scott) plus a 1:100 incentive virgin variant of the standard Inhyuk Lee cover.
    • #3 has two variant covers (Philip Tan, Leinil Francis Yu) plus a 1:100 incentive virgin variant of the standard Inhyuk Lee cover.
    • #4 has two variant covers (Skan, Ivan Shavrin) plus a 1:100 incentive virgin variant of the standard Inhyuk Lee cover.
  • Marvel Tales: Original Marvel Zombies (2020) one-shot. This a 104 page book that reprints UFF 21-23 + MZ 1. Do you consider this a giant-sized reprint book or a thin TPB? Up to you!
    • There's a 1:50 incentive virgin cover.

I didn't include Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth (or its variants or sequels), although Headpool is technically a Marvel Zombies spinoff character. If you're being really comprehensive, maybe also include Ultimate Civil War: Spider-Ham #1 (although that's technically a different Marvel Zombie universe than the "real" Marvel Zombie universe). There's also the Zombies Assemble and Zombies Assemble 2 minis, English adaptations of a manga story which is thematically similar, but also technically disjunct from the Marvel Zombies line.

If you're into really deep-dive variant collecting, an awful lot of these had newsstand distribution with distinguishable bar codes (I know the UFF issues do, Dead Days, and Christmas Carol; probably most of the rest up through 2011 or maybe 2012).

So, which books are the tough ones? All of the standard covers are reasonably obtained raw for a few dollars. UFF 21 is probably the most expensive of them, but even that's out there for under $20 for reasonably nice copies. CGC 9.8 books are a (zombie) horse of an entirely different color. UFF 21 and MZ 1 are crawling their way toward being $1000 books, if not there already, although some of that may be a bump from the What If... episode; we'll see if those prices stick (personally, I do not think that available supply is tight enough to warrant those values). As for the variants, well, most of them aren't too hard. This line has been really popular, so even the 1:50 incentives aren't too bad, at least raw. CGC 9.8 copies... well, it's finding some of them that's the challenge. Quite a few seem to go for the $50-100 "default" range for graded books that someone might, someday, buy. But not all of them.

Marvel Zombies Resurrection has the biggest exceptions to that. The two high-quantity incentive virgin variants of the 2019 book are very elusive (raw, graded, whatever), especially the 1:500. The 1:100 virgins from the 2020 title are a lot more widely available, but are running $50-100 raw, so there's that. Some of the store variants don't trade in high volumes, so are tougher to quantify.

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time!

This is awesome and I will save/use it.