• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you all store your art if you don't frame it?

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

If you don't frame your art, do you put it in a portfolio? Can I get mylites/mylars that big with boards? I've got art that I don't really want to get framed (the frame would be worth multiples of the page), but I want to preserve it properly. Thanks! - Keith (ultra-noobie in this area)

Hi Keith,

Bill Cole Enterprises has large art and modern art sized mylar sheets with backing boards. You might check with ComicSupply (one of the forumites here) to see if he carries them. I've always picked them up on site at the Chicago Con where Bill exhibits.

I've got my non-framed art in those, and then I got a large cardboard box portfolio to keep them in. Works great. With the art safely stowed in the mylars with a backing board, I can lay the box flat or stand it up, depending on my space limitations.

I've looked at a few art supply sites and although the sleeves are mylar, there is no indication that the boards are archival. Do you consider this to be less necessary on Original Art over (maybe) higher acidity in comic books?

If anyone has a great supplier, please post a link thumbsup2.gif

I think nothing beats Itoya portfolios books. I have found this site to have the best prices and selection for them. If there is one with better prices please let me know! wink.gif

www.misterart.com

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/2200/Itoya-Art-Profolio-Storage-Display-Book.htm

As far as mylar, try

http://www.egerber.com/default.asp

I buy both the Mylites and the thicker Mylar in the original art sizes and up.

Lambert

I think nothing beats Itoya portfolios books. I have found this site to have the best prices and selection for them. If there is one with better prices please let me know! wink.gif

www.misterart.com

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/2200/Itoya-Art-Profolio-Storage-Display-Book.htm

As far as mylar, try

http://www.egerber.com/default.asp

I buy both the Mylites and the thicker Mylar in the original art sizes and up.

Lambert

I ended up getting an Itoya portfolio - man - its absolutely amazing!

"I ended up getting an Itoya portfolio - man - its absolutely amazing!"

Yes, they are great! And if you have double page splashes, nothing beats having them in the big 18x24 size one and you can view them in full glory without taking them out of the sleeve and unfolding them.

Lately, I've started to put all my pieces in mylar or mylites and then putting them in the Itoyas. Even though Itoya markets them as 'archival' I personally find it doubtful given the material.

Lambert

www.misterart.com

For those prices you have to be a VIP member which will cost you $25 for the year.

For a few cents more without a membership, try Pearl Paint:

ITOYA on Pearl Paint

Lucky for me they are a few blocks away in NYC so no shipping fees to add smirk.gif

True but Pearl doesn't have the bigger sizes of 13x19 (which seem to be the most popular among comic art types) and 18x24. Granted the 14x17 is sufficient for 90% of original art. I stock up on that size at AC Moore, an arts and crafts chain store that every now and then have 40% or 50% coupons in the newspaper that I use for the 14x17. With the coupon, it's a lot less than Pearl, I think around 12 bucks or so.

Lambert

I don't secure them inside but they hardly move around at all. If you use the smaller 11x17 sizes or anything x17 then they fit, but very very tight and with the 11x17 some pages actually are slightly too large widthwise so they buckle slightly inside. Also some pages stick out slightly at the top which is only a mm here or there but that top edge will get frayed over time.

I've noticed that all Marvel or DC pages have slight variances in them and aren't all the same exact 11x17 size.

The 13x19 is the safe route and they fit inside very nicely. I love how they display the art.

The 18x24 should only be used for double page splashes and the like. For single page art, it would be ludicrous and yeah, your art will definitely slide around.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be a nice size for douple page splashes as they'd be around 17x22ish. That's the only use I can think of.

Hahaha! that's right! You should buy some just to fill out your Itoya! wink.gif Double page splashes or spreads fit so perfectly into the 18x24 it's almost as if the Itoya people planned it that way. I have about 10-12 of them so my book isn't close to being filled but it is very cool to open up the book and BAM! you get this humongous image of comic art!

Lambert