• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max. value per item question

6 posts in this topic

I would like to know how the max value per item works.  I submitted 20 books to CGC a few months back and some of those would be worth over $400 if graded 9.8.  However, the value of several of those were below $400 at the time of submission.  So, is the value based on when CGC receives it or once it is graded?  Also, it really is an estimation of value before submission, as a novice collector may not know if the grade of the raw comic is a 9.4 or 9.8.

I am a bit concerned that some of my books that only cost around $20 to submit back in April now could cost $75 each for grading.

• Administrator
On 9/20/2021 at 2:53 PM, jlouque said:

I would like to know how the max value per item works.  I submitted 20 books to CGC a few months back and some of those would be worth over $400 if graded 9.8.  However, the value of several of those were below $400 at the time of submission.  So, is the value based on when CGC receives it or once it is graded?  Also, it really is an estimation of value before submission, as a novice collector may not know if the grade of the raw comic is a 9.4 or 9.8.

I am a bit concerned that some of my books that only cost around $20 to submit back in April now could cost $75 each for grading.

Hello,

Thanks for your question. The value is for the book the way you submit them to us. So if the books are raw, then the raw value is what you would use to determine your value/grading tier. I hope this helps clear this up for you.

Thank you,

i saw an earlier reply from CGC that said the grader would compare the FMV when they graded the comic to what we put on it, well i know i put what i felt the FMV was on them before they got pressed, so would assume the grader is grading them after pressing them, which would change the grade for FMV.  Mine still in the pressing process, so i am waiting to see if i have to pay more for the pressed FMV that they will be evaluated at?  This site could enter much better info on procedures needed for us to look up.  Have comics getting signed also, have had to ask when the signing will be, since they are long past the date to be turned in, understand their responses i have read before, "not gauranteed, artist might push back date", well have the Courtesy to be transparent to us about the turnaround efforts being done and when, just the right thing to do and save them many calls and emails i am sure, 

Okay here is something I just heard recently that has to do with this. Guy posted that CGC just added $6000 to the value of a book and of course will change the grading level he is in and charge him accordingly. Okay he understands that but I believe he mailed his in under valued. Now I normally mail mine in at a much lower value because I believe most books will grade lower than 9.8. I wish they would grade 9.8 but the average for older books is not that high. 

I have mailed some books in and I have $400.00 but since I mailed the books in and they have been sitting there the values of said books have suddenly skyrocketed where now instead of being $5000 at 9.8 the books have gone up to $11,000 to $12,000 at 9.8 which means lower grades have also gone up. So how do you look at the values when books are just sitting there and the values are going up and down?

• Administrator

Good morning,

The value we ask you for is an insurance value, a number you would feel comfortable with in terms of a replacement value if your book was lost or damaged while with us. If you are unsure of the value or the value could fluctuate, we encourage you to be conservative as we do not reimburse you if you over-value your book. In the event that your book was grossly under-valued, we would contact you to bump the book to a higher grading tier and you would just pay the difference in the grading fees at that time.

Thank you,