• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Horror Mag!

26 posts in this topic

Wow, Just to see this on the shelves was cool! From IDW comes a new horror mag (it's about time) that has some decent black & white stories in it. I don't know whether or not it was because it happened to be a dark and stormy October night here on the east coast when I read it but it sure fit the bill. Liked the stories and size, didn't like the $6.99 price!

960124-Doomed%231.jpg

The TOC had a nice retro look like the old Warren mags, nice touch that did not go unnoticed...

960124-Doomed%231FirstPage.jpg

589a8f656ab26_960124-Doomed1FirstPage.jpg.f10119fd22551f78c8e28f609ab6d31a.jpg

I've been fishing IDW comics out of the 50 cent bin over the last few months, trying to get some consecutive issues to read 'em

the magazine looks cool, but $6.99 does not! i understand that we're talking about 70 or so pages of comic entertainment, so it's really not out of wack with everything else, but....

Thanks for the welcome... I've actually been around for a bit, but I don't post much (obviously!)

I found DOOMED yesterday and opted for the other cover by Ashley Wood... a bit darker, though still not a great horror mag cover, IMHO. I really hate the concept of alternate covers... i.e. forced "collectible", but whatever.

Overall, I'm pleased with the mag! Wood's art on "Blood Son" was a bit sketchy, but nice overall. Being a Richard Matheson story helped...

"Cuts" was fun, but I hated the art. That's why I like the older mags... good art, not all style/ no substance. This artwork just looked busy to me.

Schow's "Blood Rape Of The Lust Ghouls" was a hoot... sex and gore and lotsa four letter words! Would you expect anything else form David J Schow? Eduardo Barreto's artwork is fine... closest thing to a match to the old Warren mags here!

I loved "Final Performance"! I'm a huge Bloch fan, and while I've read the story before, it's still a favorite! I didn't like Kristian Donaldson's art at first, while just flipping through the mag... too much like EXTREEEEEME Krigstein, but while reading the story, it really grew on me and I thought it worked well!

Overall, I really enjoyed DOOMED and feel it was worth the cover price! (Come on... don't you wish you could find Eerie Pubs, with their mucho-recycled contents, for $6.99??) I'll give Ms. Doomed and the gang another chance!

Wikipedia shot of Wood's DOOMED cover

HEY! I finally got a copy CHEAP thanks to fellow boardmember JeffB! Thanks! flowerred.gif

It's a good mag, but I don't think it's $6.99 good! crazy.gif

My basic first impressions:

Cover & overall production values: Top Notch.

Ms. Doomed intro: Feh.

"Blood Son:" I love Matheson, but this isn't one of his easiest stories to adapt. Ashley Wood art was hit or miss with some panels very good & others horribly sketchy.

"Cuts:" F. Paul Wilson adapts his own story, which was fun, but basically predictable. Really bad art by Ted McKeever.

"Blood Rape of the Lust Ghouls:" Probably not the best David J. Schow piece ever, but just entertaining enough. Decent art by Eduardo Barretto.

"Final Performance:" Robert Bloch yarn that was the best ( beating Matheson by a hair, IMO ) story of the issue. I'm not a fan of this block-face style of art by Kristian Donaldson, but it worked ok enough in this small of a dose.

I'm glad I didn't shell out full cover price for this one, but the mag certainly has future potential if story selection tightens & the art improves! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Begin sign-rantpost.gif

I was going to pick up issue # 4 today, I've bought the first 3 issues (both covers of each) and the # 4 now has a cover price of $9.99..........Come on IDW. If the interior art were exceptional I could justify it, but it's not.......so I won't be following the later issues. 893naughty-thumb.gif

End of sign-rantpost.gif

$9.99 = screwy.gif