• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Sub Mariner #1 (1968)
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Just bought this book online. I'm still relatively new getting back into the hobby and I am far from confident in my current grading ability. I want the opinion of confident graders before I officially add this book to the PC and spend more money cleaning, pressing, and having the book graded by CGC. I tried to take generous amounts of pictures, but if more are needed, please let me know. Here is the photo album: https://imgur.com/gallery/b6AjGZK

The seller listed the book as a 7.0 with white pages with a "tight spine and nice corners". The bottom left corner concerns me with the split. Was this description accurate, or did I most likely overpay?

On 9/21/2021 at 9:53 PM, Hartie Spence said:

Which areas of the back would you like more detail on? Currently, pictures 6-10 in the album are the back cover.

I haven't used IMGUR for years.  It's better than I remembered.  Found scroll down to see more images.   The book looks 5.0 to 5.5 but the stain on the lower left corner on BC may bring it down to 4.5.

If you decide to use the pressing,  maybe it will stay within higher VG to lower FN range.

On 9/21/2021 at 9:59 PM, JollyComics said:

I haven't used IMGUR for years.  It's better than I remembered.  Found scroll down to see more images.   The book looks 5.0 to 5.5 but the stain on the lower left corner on BC may bring it down to 4.5.

If you decide to use the pressing,  maybe it will stay within higher VG to lower FN range.

Just to provide as much information as possible, I measured the spine tear on the bottom left corner and it is very close to a 1/4" tear. Going off of the heritage auction grading scale, that would put the book at a 6.0 absolute max score (unless I am mistaken). The spine split was not mentioned in the original listing, so it seems I definitely over paid.

On 9/21/2021 at 10:19 PM, 10centcomics said:

I think without the small spine split it could be a 7.0. I think I'd knock it down to 6.0 with the spine split. (I don't see the stain the previous poster pointed out)

They might have been referring to that mark next to the bottom staple? I'm hoping some of the smudges would clear up if the book is cleaned well. I was hoping it would not be lower than a 6.0, but I'm still a little disappointed it is not the 7.0 I thought it would be when I purchased it.

Do the pages appear white to you, or is that an off white? I don't own an owl card that I've heard people talk about.

I'd be a little annoyed if a seller described a book with "nice corners" but there was a spine split at one of those corners.

Hard for me to judge page quality from photos as lighting can make a big difference. From the pics it appears they are off-white. 

The minor dirt smudges near the staples should easily come off with dry cleaning. 

I also don’t see the stain a previous poster mention. I mean that back bottom left corner appears to just be a shadow from the picture. If there is a stain, I agree with the 4.5-5.0 assessment and applaud the eagle eye.

However if no stain, the spine split is the biggest flaw here. Keeps it from a 7.0. This a 6.0 is where I am falling, worst case 5.5 if CGC hammers that split and 6.5 at best if they feeling lovey dovey.

And if you paid full on 7.0 price for it I would be tempted to return. If you got a decent deal well then it’s up to you if you are happy with it. 

On 9/22/2021 at 8:09 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I also don’t see the stain a previous poster mention. I mean that back bottom left corner appears to just be a shadow from the picture. If there is a stain, I agree with the 4.5-5.0 assessment and applaud the eagle eye.

However if no stain, the spine split is the biggest flaw here. Keeps it from a 7.0. This a 6.0 is where I am falling, worst case 5.5 if CGC hammers that split and 6.5 at best if they feeling lovey dovey.

And if you paid full on 7.0 price for it I would be tempted to return. If you got a decent deal well then it’s up to you if you are happy with it. 

Thanks for the input. I think the bottom left back corner is just a shadow. I might check again to be sure once I’m home later today.

On 9/22/2021 at 9:00 AM, Hartie Spence said:

Thanks for the input. I think the bottom left back corner is just a shadow. I might check again to be sure once I’m home later today.

Despite no stain, it may be above 5.5.  I sounded like little hassle but be conservative with the grade. You can compare this copy to other copies on eBay and other venues.  Just remind that Sub-Mariner will be in MCU movie soon.  We had Aquaman in movies and now it's overdue for Sub-Mariner's debut.