• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey, slab crackers! At what price point does your book become too valuable to liberate from its plastic tomb?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I like to crack out my books, so I can read them and experience that nostalgia buzz from handling old comics. I've done so to all my slabs except one (a certain BA mega key...).

The other day I dropped quite a bit (for me, I know it's all relative) on another BA  key, and now I'm having second thoughts about cracking that one out.  On top of that, I already have the graphic novel reprint, so, I can read the story at any time.

Apparently I may have found the price point at which I won't free the book...

How about you all? When does the book's value supercede your lizard brain desire to enjoy it out of the slab?

Great question. I imagine everyone's answer will be different. I think most here are fine to leave their books slabbed, which is cool. But I agree with you -- I enjoy a book much more when it's cracked out and can be (carefully) handled, and that experience adds to the feeling that I actually own it.

I dither about cracking them too. I crack about half of my slabbed purchases and it's no big deal, but there's a few I wish I hadn't. I'd say, very loosely, north of $500 I start to get cold feet.

On 9/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, Turnando said:

If I owned slabs I'd buy nice reader copies for each and keep them in Mylar next to the slab.

Stare at the slab, open the Mylar, read...

Having one slabbed and one reader copy makes too much sense and has been ignored by slab haters since 2000. 

To quote them directly, "You can't read a comic in a slab - la-la-la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you."

On 9/24/2021 at 5:07 PM, valiantman said:

Having one slabbed and one reader copy makes too much sense and has been ignored by slab haters since 2000. 

To quote them directly, "You can't read a comic in a slab - la-la-la-la-la-I-can't-hear-you."

I don't have readers for every slab I own, but do for a lot

Why would you ever buy a slab with the intention of cracking it out?  Why don’t you just buy a nice unslabbed copy? Which is, incidentally, going to be a lot cheaper.

I just don’t understand some things.  

While I do love the feel and smell of old comics, if I've slabbed it or bought it slabbed, it will stay that way. I haven't gone the reader copy route but have bought many hardcover Marvel Masterpieces or omnibuses to read. To each their own and fully support whichever side of the slab argument you are on. 

I am more likely to crack out a low grade restored book or a Qualified Book.  If I go to sell them I can include the label, and honestly why would I lie and say a book was restored/qualified/married if it was not?  I have only done it a few times.  I have bought coverless or really beat up copies to read, or Masterworks, or Omnibuses, or even a digital copy.  One of the reasons I do like to have the raw copy is on the GA DC anthology books (Action, Adventure, More Fun, Detective, etc..) you can easily find the main story.  Every Batman story of the GA has probably been reprinted somewhere, but if you wanted to read the Wing Brady story (I did), good luck finding that one.  Just my 2c

On 9/24/2021 at 8:26 PM, valiantman said:

I can see the logic.  I don't do it, but I can see it.

Let's say you want a nice copy of an older comic (that's fairly valuable) and you want to ensure that it doesn't have restoration (according to CGC).

You'd buy a CGC graded universal copy, but your goal was to have the book in your hands, and in your "raw" collection, to read when you like, store in regular mylar, whatever.

Buying a nice unslabbed copy comes with the risk of restoration, particularly when a book is valuable enough to be "slab-worthy".  Unless you know the seller, there could be a reason it's not in a slab.

At its inception, I felt that CGC was designed to offer a professional impartial grade & Resto check.   The slab itself was to basically seal the book in carbonite, so that the grade would be preserved.  The owner could then sell that book, and the buyer would crack it out & add it to his ever growing raw collection(knowing the grade and resto status). 

Of course, the slab itself became the celebrity, and this age of encapsulation continues....

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 9/24/2021 at 11:04 AM, MisterX said:

When does the book's value supercede your lizard brain desire to enjoy it out of the slab?

I was going to answer this until I discovered it was all about racism and discrimination.  FlippingLizard.jpg