• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What If…A Comic Book Scenario
1 1

15 posts in this topic

A friend and I were discussing comics the other day. He is a firm believer in Xmen Annual 14 being Gambits first appearance, as nothing about his appearance in this issue is close to other definitions of cameo due to how often Gambit is seen. My friend also understands that Xmen 266 is a great cover (for Gambit fans anyway) but ultimately is a second appearance.

This got us onto the importance of a first appearance of any character and how if they also appear on the cover, the price of such a book is at a premium. 

All of this lead me to pose the following “what if” scenario pertaining to the history of comics. What if at the end of Amazing Fantasy 14, which is shown below, Stan had featured in the final four pages, a mini introduction to Spider-Man? It would clearly have given details about Peter, how he had powers and was Spider-Man, with plenty of images of him swinging around New York and even a couple of him battling thieves. Overall it would read like a short narrative and ends with “but how did Peter end up like this? Tune in next month for more exciting details about the amazing Spider-Man!”

So all that happens at the end of this book

A0317618-CCF9-4E3D-BBD0-45EA98EB47F1.thumb.jpeg.97d31be8aff3982a4993e6bd5e76057d.jpeg

And then this comes out next in all it’s glory

4D712E79-31E2-4DD5-A323-376189C4C148.thumb.jpeg.8c66a192c5b4afe64d967e00a65539ec.jpeg

Does this alteration in history automatically make AF14 the more valuable book? Certainly it would have much more value than it currently does but would the true first appearance of such an iconic figure in this way cause a reallllllly boring cover like AF14 to outpace AF15?

Spidey's intro is already a short story in an anthology series and it features Peter Parker/Spider-Man as the main character. The comparison is terrible and the scenario is ludicrous. Why not just use the obvious, high-profile, (and most importantly) real example: Wolverine?

Covers influence values, sometimes significantly, as do many other things. Most of the time, it's impossible to break down what percentage of value is due to any specific factor. Most of the biggest characters, especially heroes, debuted in their own story and were the cover feature even if it wasn't in their own title.

On 9/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Amazeron said:

Since Spidey’s a big character, his first appearance’s value would weigh on his first actual appearance. (Sort of like Ant-man’s first appearance being TA 27) Though a couple panel intro sounds more like an ad. I believe Detective Comics 26 had an ad for Batman, telling the reader to stay tuned for his appearance or something of that nature.

Detective #26 had a text mention only of Batman. Action #12 had the first (and as far as I know, the only) ad with a Batman image that predated Tec #27.

What if....Wolverine had a full panel at the end of an issue, with dialogue and a statement, announcing himself as 'Wolverine' (as well as Weapon X) and not considered his first appearance?!

P.S.  I have no skin in the game.  Just find it asinine 181 is still his 'first appearance'.

clean.jpg

Edited by Mercury Man

Most cameos are just advertising to sell the next issue. I would always ask the writer artist what inspired them in creating the character and how they decided how and when to introduce them. And the answer never was hey look at me, i am new and coming in the next book, can't tell you anything else because my creators have no idea what they are going to do with me. I want the first comic book appearance even if that book came out at a later date. 

I feel like this is a case where I would also personally still value and desire AF 15 more. Would it now be Spidey's first appearance? No. Would it be a much more interesting book to look at and display? For me yes. I would still eventually strive to get AF 14 but it would not be as crucial for me personally. 

I'm envisioning collectors the world over, proudly displaying their 3.0 CGC copies of Giant Boots!

Because, a first appearance is a first appearance is a first appearance.

I'm sure there are bunches of examples of comics where the 1st appearance cover is basically terrible, but that's the collectable one.  Probably multiple threads about that already.  

On 9/27/2021 at 1:03 PM, Axelrod said:

I'm envisioning collectors the world over, proudly displaying their 3.0 CGC copies of Giant Boots!

Because, a first appearance is a first appearance is a first appearance.

I'm sure there are bunches of examples of comics where the 1st appearance cover is basically terrible, but that's the collectable one.  Probably multiple threads about that already.  

There are, haha in terms of first appearance books with bad covers, lot of threads. But I feel this scenario would be unique in that the second appearance cover is so iconic. 

I think of Strange Tales #110 first Dr Strange. Not on cover but that book has value. However his first actual cover I don't think is for several issues later in 118? I think? Does that book mean it should outpace 110? I don't think so. But what if his second appearance was issue #111 and he was drawn full out on it, in full on Ditko art? Once can imagine that would have a TON of value....but could it outstrip the #110?

I just thought it facinating that a lot of people today seem to care most about showing their books and they like it when the character they love appears on the cover and are seemingly willing to pay a premium when that appearance coincides with a first appearance of any character. 

On 9/25/2021 at 11:36 PM, Mercury Man said:

What if....Wolverine had a full panel at the end of an issue, with dialogue and a statement, announcing himself as 'Wolverine' (as well as Weapon X) and not considered his first appearance?!

P.S.  I have no skin in the game.  Just find it asinine 181 is still his 'first appearance'.

What if the government was worried about the Hulk vs. Wendigo fight from the very beginning of Hulk #180 and issued an order for Weapon X to be deployed, building up the suspense to Weapon X's full arrival by the end of the issue?

On 9/25/2021 at 11:36 PM, Mercury Man said:

What if Hulk 180 had always been Wolverine's first (brief) appearance and Hulk 181 were his first full appearance? Wait... that's just reality, not a 'what if' scenario.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:28 PM, Lazyboy said:

What if Hulk 180 had always been Wolverine's first (brief) appearance and Hulk 181 were his first full appearance? Wait... that's just reality, not a 'what if' scenario.

Ah ha!  But you admit it's his first appearance.  CGC doesn't denote 'brief'  

winning.jpg

On 9/28/2021 at 9:40 PM, Mercury Man said:

Ah ha!  But you admit it's his first appearance.

Of course it is. (shrug) He's in the story, even if just barely.

On 9/28/2021 at 9:40 PM, Mercury Man said:

CGC doesn't denote 'brief' 

Yeah, they incorrectly use 'cameo' because they suck.