• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Babylon 5 reboot from JMS

24 posts in this topic

First four seasons were amazing (esp. 2-4).  I do wonder about the reboot concept though.  I assume he wouldn't just tell the exact same story again.  Because, like, where would the excitement be for that?  But if he were to change it up, why characterize it a "reboot" at all, as opposed to calling it something new?  Just name recognition?  

The worst would be (I think) if he tried to do something similar but not exact, and then just filled it up with easter eggs calling back to the original show, and have it where almost like the entire point would be making people notice where things are different now. Sort of like what Star Trek Into Darkness did with the Kahn storyline.  Ugh.  

I say this recognizing that Disney is currently making bank with remakes that do essentially tell the exact same story over and over and over again.  So what do I know.  Probably different for a TV series than a movie though.   

Needs to be aimed at Adults and not an under 13's woke fest.  Yes Y-The Last Man, I'm looking at you.

It was a great show - new actors, better SFX and a decent budget - what's not to like if its done with respect to the original storylines. Plus the odd cameo from surviving actors.

I'm in!

On 9/27/2021 at 4:50 PM, Axelrod said:

I say this recognizing that Disney is currently making bank with remakes that do essentially tell the exact same story over and over and over again.  So what do I know.  Probably different for a TV series than a movie though.   

That's what is crazy.

You have Disney taking old animated movies and making them live and moviegoers throw money at the studio. Another studio even thought of doing that and the same Disney hardcores scream CAN'T HOLLYWOOD FIND NEW MATERIAL?!

Fun times. :insane:

On 9/28/2021 at 12:51 AM, Bosco685 said:

That's what is crazy.

You have Disney taking old animated movies and making them live and moviegoers throw money at the studio. Another studio even thought of doing that and the same Disney hardcores scream CAN'T HOLLYWOOD FIND NEW MATERIAL?!

Fun times. :insane:

I remember Frank Miller saying this very same thing nearly 30 years ago - and that was why Hollywood was looking at comic books... for stories & characters.

I think this is the #1 reason why Disney bought Marvel. Just a 70 year treasure trove of stories already written & storyboarded & waiting to be seen by the masses.
Computer technology caught up and made it financially feasible for the stories to be brought to the big or small screen and look 'real.'

On 9/27/2021 at 7:24 PM, Beige said:

Needs to be aimed at Adults and not an under 13's woke fest.  Yes Y-The Last Man, I'm looking at you.

It was a great show - new actors, better SFX and a decent budget - what's not to like if its done with respect to the original storylines. Plus the odd cameo from surviving actors.

I'm in!

B5 was such a gem.

JMS had a great storyline that really tied so many things together from beginning to end.
Peter Jurasik was awesome. Jerry Doyle was great. Adreas Katsulas, Mira Furlan, Stephen Furst, and Walter Koenig was such an evil bastich!
Bruce Boxleitner was always a bit flat for me - but he was enjoyable in his role too.

The political intrigue was fantastic & a bit of a precursor to the Battlestar Galactica reboot & even GoT to some degree (with politics driving so many things).

On 9/28/2021 at 11:18 AM, HighVoltage said:

I remember Frank Miller saying this very same thing nearly 30 years ago - and that was why Hollywood was looking at comic books... for stories & characters.

I think this is the #1 reason why Disney bought Marvel. Just a 70 year treasure trove of stories already written & storyboarded & waiting to be seen by the masses.
Computer technology caught up and made it financially feasible for the stories to be brought to the big or small screen and look 'real.'

Even early on when Disney Animation produced Big Hero 6 based on a short comic story it was telling how deep they could dig and find gold.

No need to keep revisiting old movie content. Though since consumers keep shelling out funds for these live films, Disney will keep making them.

Sounds like this is still a long way from actually happening, though.  It's currently "in development," and J. Michael is currently writing the pilot episode for the proposed series, which has yet to actually be picked up.

J. Michael Straczynski Explains Why Babylon 5 Had to Be Rebooted

Straczynski stressed that the new series being a reboot was a vital choice he wanted to make. Part of the decision was simple: a lot has happened in the world, in television, and in Straczynski’s career since Babylon 5 first aired, and the writer relished the challenge of bringing all those changing circumstances and his own growth as a writer to the beloved series.

“Heraclitus wrote ‘You cannot step in the same river twice, for the river has changed, and you have changed.’ In the years since B5, I’ve done a ton of other TV shows and movies, adding an equal number of tools to my toolbox, all of which I can bring to bear on one singular question,” Stracynzski tweeted. “If I were creating Babylon 5 today, for the first time, knowing what I now know as a writer, what would it look like? How would it use all the storytelling tools and technological resources available in 2021 that were not on hand then?”

But another appeal the writer found in specifically telling a new iteration of Babylon 5 for the 21st century is to build on what the original show already pioneered. At the time it aired, Babylon 5's five-year overarching plot, laid out from the get-go, was unprecedented as a style of long-form television storytelling. Now, in the age of mega franchises dominating TV—perhaps inspired by the likes of Babylon 5's initial approach—it’s normal. Not only that, the series’ dark sci-fi storytelling commenting on the state of the world in the mid-’90s needs to evolve, Straczynski argued, so that a new Babylon 5 could be more than just relevant to our current time, but try to imagine a future beyond it as well. “How can it be used to reflect the world in which we live, and the questions we are asking and confronting every day?” Straczynski continued. “Fans regularly point out how prescient the show was and is of our current world; it would be fun to take a shot at looking further down the road.”

A “Babylon 5” animated movie is in the works from original series creator J. Michael Straczynski.

“BABYLON 5 ANIMATED MOVIE [sic] coming from Warner Bros. Animation & WB Home Entertainment!” Straczynski announced via Twitter. “Classic B5: raucous, heartfelt, nonstop, a ton of fun through time and space & a love letter to the fans. Movie title, release date and other details coming one week from today.”

Straczynski further said that the film is “already finished and in the can” and that “it feels the most B5-ish of anything we’ve done since the original show.”

The original “Babylon 5” was produced by Warner Bros. Television. The series ran in syndication and on TNT for five seasons, 110 episodes, and seven TV movies, including the 1993 pilot film. The show is considered one of the best sci-fi series ever made by many critics and won numerous awards throughout its run, including two Hugo Awards and a Saturn Award.