• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I send in a graded book to an in-house signing?

11 posts in this topic

Okay, I’m still learning here, so yeah. I just checked my email and saw that Donny Cates is doing a signing. I own Venom 7 signed already by Clayton Crain. I’m still iffy if I want to send, it’s a 9.8 and it’s not the strongest grade either. 
My question is, can I send the slab in like that? And if so, CGC would crack it? And Cates would sign where ever he felt like on that day? 
Also, how does the grading work? Do they send in the paper part of the Elbe with the grade (label) and it’s the same grade or do they destroy it and completely re grade? 
thanks! 
-Clay 

0FE564CE-1E33-4549-8A68-76A3D8A826CD.jpeg

Edited by Clay Johnson

Send in the slab as is for the signing.  DO NOT crack it open as you will lose the yellow label for CC.  If you just send in the comic after opening it, the label after the DC signing will be yellow/green.

If you send in the slab,  it will get a new yellow label with both mentions of the signing on the label and if you want it be custom like it is now, you will need to re-select it and be charged extra again.

If you want DC's sig to be in specific location, send in a pre-made window set up so when they crack it, they will place it in the bag for you.  They will still place book in a bag if you do not provide one but then DC will sign wherever he wants.  Also, the grade back may not be a 9.8.  There is that risk as well.

HTH.

On 9/28/2021 at 8:23 PM, waynemel said:

Send in the slab as is for the signing.  DO NOT crack it open as you will lose the yellow label for CC.  If you just send in the comic after opening it, the label after the DC signing will be yellow/green.

If you send in the slab,  it will get a new yellow label with both mentions of the signing on the label and if you want it be custom like it is now, you will need to re-select it and be charged extra again.

If you want DC's sig to be in specific location, send in a pre-made window set up so when they crack it, they will place it in the bag for you.  They will still place book in a bag if you do not provide one but then DC will sign wherever he wants.  Also, the grade back may not be a 9.8.  There is that risk as well.

HTH.

, I have a tough choice to make. I like the 9.8 and it’s a scary risk for it to come back any lower. 

On 9/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, Clay Johnson said:

, I have a tough choice to make. I like the 9.8 and it’s a scary risk for it to come back any lower. 

Yah it’s a total regrade completely blind of whatever grade it was before.

if you think the weaknesses might be improved with a press you can consider that option as well, obviously that takes more time and money without guarantees results

For all my signature series submissions, I always choose the pressing option for the extra $20. It's helped bring up some comics submitted (TMNT #2 from 8.5 to 9.4 and Marvel Super Hero Secret Wars 8.5 to 9.6) and I've submitted two high grade books, New Mutants 18 for Sienkiewicz (9.8) and X-Men 4 for Jim Lee (9.6) and hope to get back the same or even potentially better after pressing. It is a gamble so you just need to prepare yourself for coming back 9.8 or potentially lower. 

• Administrator
On 9/29/2021 at 10:46 AM, Crack Addict said:

Does the CGC charge you to crack out a slab? I usually like to do it myself :)

Yes, you can submit a slabbed comics to a private signing and we do charge $5 to remove a comic from the slab.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:50 PM, rexinnih said:

For all my signature series submissions, I always choose the pressing option for the extra $20. It's helped bring up some comics submitted (TMNT #2 from 8.5 to 9.4 and Marvel Super Hero Secret Wars 8.5 to 9.6) and I've submitted two high grade books, New Mutants 18 for Sienkiewicz (9.8) and X-Men 4 for Jim Lee (9.6) and hope to get back the same or even potentially better after pressing. It is a gamble so you just need to prepare yourself for coming back 9.8 or potentially lower. 

I always press my books. Through CCS. Yeah if I didn’t press that Venom 7 I think it would have came back a 9.4 or 9.6. 
more a huge gamble because I have 9.6 books that are better condition than some 9.8s I own. 
*edit* 

woukd pressing it a second time deter it, no difference, or help it? 

Edited by Clay Johnson

On 9/29/2021 at 2:38 PM, Clay Johnson said:
On 9/29/2021 at 11:50 AM, rexinnih said:

I always press my books. Through CCS. Yeah if I didn’t press that Venom 7 I think it would have came back a 9.4 or 9.6. 
more a huge gamble because I have 9.6 books that are better condition than some 9.8s I own. 
*edit* 

woukd pressing it a second time deter it, no difference, or help it? 

it would be impossible to know for sure without being an expert and looking at your book directly, but generally a second press by an expert presser WON'T HURT the grade, but if was already soft grade and there were no improvements from the press then you might get unlucky and get a lower grade.

But GENERALLY, many people press their books after a signing to take care of any of the potentially 'rough handling' that may have occurred with the signers and handlers of the book in the signing process (in addition to potential damage from mailing, cracking the slab, putting the unslabbed in a sleeve, transporting the comic back to Cgc, etc), as there are plenty of opportunities for mild, reversible damage to occur, and the $20 (is that the price) is like an insurance against that.  Obviously not everyone presses, and obviously not every comic needs pressing, and not every pressing results in the grade you want.

good luck.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:29 PM, Clay Johnson said:

This is a giant issue that I'm contemplating right now.   I have a Wolverine Mini Series (SS Claremont)  that are in 9.8 - 9.6 that I would like to send out for Frank Milller's signature but I really don't want to lose the grade.

Has there been many issues with downgrades after repeat signature events?  

On 10/12/2021 at 9:34 AM, EmoJackson said:

This is a giant issue that I'm contemplating right now.   I have a Wolverine Mini Series (SS Claremont)  that are in 9.8 - 9.6 that I would like to send out for Frank Milller's signature but I really don't want to lose the grade.

Has there been many issues with downgrades after repeat signature events?  

Yes, there has been issues with downgrades. The risk exists.