• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peter Falk in Mad #160

24 posts in this topic

On 10/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, kav said:

Mort Drucker could capture any likeness.  This is not so easy.  We've all seen even good comic artists try and fail miserably.  Except Kneel Atoms-he was good too but Drucker even better.

I loved Aragones, Davis and Jaffee best.  My fav being Aragones who was a master at producing a funny gag with no words.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:26 PM, s-man said:

I loved Aragones, Davis and Jaffee best.  My fav being Aragones who was a master at producing a funny gag with no words.

yep.  gaines also said that aragones was so prolific he had to stop him from easily drawing the entire magazine every month.

When I had an article published in Mad in 1992 I spoke on the phone to Charlie Kadeau several times-I was so nervous I sounded like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  Not one of the usual gang of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons, just a regular insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  I got $400 a page for just the writing-3 or 4 times what the top writers and artists at DC and Marvel made at the time.  Staff artists and writers of Mad must have made at least double that.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, kav said:

william gaines was a genius.  when the comics code started, he merely converted the comic book into a magazine and continued selling.  Mad never had advertisements because gaines said how can we make fun of companies and do their ads?  he wanted carte blanche to mock.
When Mad started doing ads thats when the magazine was dead.

I loved MAD even more that comics as a kid. Not being published monthly seemed like an eternity. 

My parents were not fans. I could read most anything I wanted except for MAD. They thought it was stupid and subversive. I bought it anyway. I kept my MADs in a large locked wooden box in our treehouse. 

Good thing too. When my mom threw out all my comics, toys and cards, she missed the treehouse stash.

After I moved out they eventually sold our house. My last trip over there, I decided to go up in the treehouse and discovered my MAD collection along with some ECs my uncle game me and some “nudie” mags. 

As a kid, the treehouse was my secret hangout. In high school it was the best place to smoke some weed.