• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Greatest MCU Character In Guardians Holiday Special
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Marvel, Neil Gaiman Say Eff You To McFarlane, Bring SPAWN Character Into Marvel U

Marvel Comics has another event coming up, this time called Age of Ultron. I've enjoyed their recent event stories, so I'll likely give this one a shot. But I already know something about the end of the event, because Marvel has spoiled it in the press*. They're bringing a non-Marvel Universe character into the Marvel Universe.

The character is Angela, who Spawn readers might recognize. She's one of Spawn's enemies, a bounty hunter from Heaven who... okay, I'm already bored talking about her. The pertinent information is this: Neil Gaiman created the character in Spawn #9, and then he got into a big long legal battle with Todd McFarlane over who owned her. When Gaiman created Angela (and some other Spawn characters) he signed a deal giving McFarlane rights in exchange for McFarlane's ownership over the legendarily awesome and legally English superhero Miracleman (nee Marvelman). But it turned out that McFarlane misrepresented his stake in Miracleman, and the courts ruled in favor of Gaiman. 

According to Marvel, Neil Gaiman is going to be involved in writing comics that have Angela appearances, notably Guardians of the Galaxy #5. He's been deeply involved in the project to free Miracleman, going so far as to give all his profits from a Marvel What If? series, 1602, to a legal fund to clear up the MIracleman rights longterm. It's worth noting that Gaiman wrote Miracleman after Alan Moore left. 

Miracleman: that's a big deal. Angela: that's a kick-me sign on Todd McFarlane's back. Also, she's a character - an angel in a metal bikini. Absolute mess, if you ask me. 

On 10/4/2021 at 6:38 PM, AGGIEZ said:

I was under the impression she was off the table due to some legal issues....??

Now retconned as Thor’s sister.

The transitional mini-series was quite good.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/5/2021 at 6:23 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Wasn't Thors sister, Hela?

That's a myth, comic and film conflict which I thought Nick might've brought up.

In the myths and comics, Hel or Hela is Loki's daughter, in the film she's Odin's daughter, and so Thor's sister.

In the comics, Angela, or Aldrif, as she's renamed, is Odin's daughter, and Thor's sister.

So, Hela complicates the relationship already if Angela makes a sudden appearance in the next film as a long lost sibling.  

It's like a bad soap opera.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/5/2021 at 1:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:

That's a myth, comic and film conflict which I thought Nick might've brought up.

In the myths and comics, Hel or Hela is Loki's daughter, in the film she's Odin's daughter, and so Thor's sister.

In the comics, Angela, or Aldrif, as she's renamed, is Odin's daughter, and Thor's sister.

So, Hela complicates the relationship already if Angela makes a sudden appearance in the next film as a long lost sibling. 

All I know is that I fell in love with Cate Blanchett in that costume

On 10/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, SkyJuice said:

Who Is Adam Warlock? Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 Character Explained (screenrant.com)

So its confirmed Adam Warlock. I wonder if they will have Nova appearing too?

It's been rumored for so many years, you have to think Marvel Studios leadership must know there is a burning desire to see this happen. Sooner rather than later.

Who Is Adam Warlock? Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 Character Explained (screenrant.com)

You started this thread talking about the character who would appear in the Guardians Holiday Special. Adam Warlock is confirmed for Guardians 3. Different projects. (shrug)

Do folks realize that Nova was really introduced in GOTG? Glenn Close portrayed the Nova Prime and John C. Reilly portrayed Nova Corps member Rhomann Dey who is the character who passes on the Nova Prime title to Richard Ryder in the original comics story.

I guess the question is will Richard Ryder make a debut in the MCU? Maybe, but I don't see it happening. In this movie universe, why would a Xandarian pass on the Nova Prime title to an Earth man? It doesn't make sense. Carol Danvers and Peter Quill have got the Terran in space title covered. Having another would be redundant. If we see a Nova Corps member join the Guardians of the Galaxy or get his/her own Disney+ show, I don't think it will be Richard Ryder but instead be a Xandarian.

On 10/13/2021 at 9:22 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Carol Danvers and Peter Quill have got the Terran in space title covered. Having another would be redundant.

So if two characters had this background no other characters may follow the same path to indicate the stronger connection between Earth and the rest of the galaxy?

Interesting.