• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nintendo Sneak Preview - Printer's ink
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Just found out that I have one of these and that it's actually worth a bit of money.

It originally came in Comic Buyer's Guide, which many of you know was printed on newspaper stock. I'm guessing that's where the ink came from, rubbing off from the paper and onto the Preview.

I'm going to be getting this pressed, but what are the chances that the ink can be removed? And can that be done during a standard "press/clean"?

Thanks!

IMG_2256 2.JPG

IMG_2257.JPG

On 10/3/2021 at 3:41 PM, Qalyar said:

Those are almost certainly fingerprints rather than ink rub. How likely a dry clean is to ameliorate them is in some part based on what substance was involved; I'll let one of the experts weigh in about your odds of that.

Maybe both! Someone reading the CBG, getting ink on the fingers, and rubbing their fingers on the comic. I should check the interior

On 10/4/2021 at 7:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

@joeypost,  Dry cleaning won’t help fingerprints. Whatever you do, do not take an eraser to this. The oils may have already affected the underlying inks enough making some of the damage irreversible. 

On 10/4/2021 at 8:16 AM, joeypost said:
On 10/4/2021 at 5:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

@joeypost,  Dry cleaning won’t help fingerprints. Whatever you do, do not take an eraser to this. The oils may have already affected the underlying inks enough making some of the damage irreversible. 

Thanks for the responses, everyone. What would anyone suggest the next plan of action should be? Just get it pressed and sell it as-is? (or pressed and graded and just accept the inky grade)

On 10/4/2021 at 1:27 PM, Ablation Steve said:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. What would anyone suggest the next plan of action should be? Just get it pressed and sell it as-is? (or pressed and graded and just accept the inky grade)

Not sure what the graded value is, but I would see if it's worth getting both pressed and graded. I imagine the the ROI would be better.

On 10/4/2021 at 7:16 AM, joeypost said:
On 10/4/2021 at 4:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

This is a job for Absorene, don't you think?  There's no way to know for sure without trying it, but I would be willing to bet that Absorene would remove most or all of those fingerprint smudges without affecting the underlying inks.  

On 10/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, FFB said:

This is a job for Absorene, don't you think?  There's no way to know for sure without trying it, but I would be willing to bet that Absorene would remove most or all of those fingerprint smudges without affecting the underlying inks.  

It can’t hurt to try, right?

I've never had any comic professionally worked on, so if I'm looking for a cleaner to give it a go and a thorough press (it has pressure writing marks from when someone wrote a note on another piece of paper on top of it), I'm looking for suggestions on who to send it to. And knowing that a VG/FN went for $200, a FN/VF went for $540, a 9.0 CGC went for $1000, and a 9.8 CGC went for $8,000...what should I pay to get the grade bumps?

S

Absorbene can make a hell of a mess and you end up with pink mess on the cover, which you then need to clean off. Absorbene is made to lift dirt off of paper, which is why it's used more for cleaning old wallpaper than anything else. It's no more effective on ink than erasers. 

It's unlikely that the fingerprints/ink smudges can be cleaned off without removing some of the underlying yellow ink.  At least not by the cleaning methods pressing services use.  A restoration professional MIGHT be able to use a solvent and get it off. A few  possible issues with that:

1) Restoration costs FAR more than clean and press. You might not  end up netting any more money 
2) If CGC decides the book has been cleaned with solvents, you risk a conserved label when graded.

Just get the book pressed and graded and take what you get. It's basically found money, right? 

On 10/5/2021 at 8:48 PM, Tony S said:

Just get the book pressed and graded and take what you get. It's basically found money, right? 

An excellent point. I'm not new to comics, but very new to the idea of cleaning/pressing, so I was just seeing if there were any easy solutions out there.

It's still going to need a thorough press. Any suggestions? (again, very new to this!)

On 10/5/2021 at 12:55 PM, Ablation Steve said:

I've never had any comic professionally worked on, so if I'm looking for a cleaner to give it a go and a thorough press (it has pressure writing marks from when someone wrote a note on another piece of paper on top of it), I'm looking for suggestions on who to send it to. And knowing that a VG/FN went for $200, a FN/VF went for $540, a 9.0 CGC went for $1000, and a 9.8 CGC went for $8,000...what should I pay to get the grade bumps?

S

Joeypost does a good job.  (thumbsu