• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isn't it time for CGC to stop calling books from 1975 Moderns?
4 4

53 posts in this topic

On 10/4/2021 at 5:43 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

It has already been mentioned.

Just go by size for each tier. 

They could really dumb it down and make it.

XS

S

M

L

XL

This would not work because for example some undergrounds printed in the silver age were the size of moderns.  Or smaller.  

On 10/6/2021 at 2:46 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I would vote no because 1975ish is arguably the time people started taking care of their books and hence easy to find high grades.2c

The prevalence of annual retentive's in the hobby, has thankfully been around since day 1 (thumbsu

When CGC started, they priced based on the amount of time it would take (on average) to grade the books.

If people are submitting lots of copies of books from grades 0.5 to 9.0 (Golden and Silver Age), it can take a while to count pages, add up defects, etc.

If people are submitting lots of copies of books from grades 9.4 to 9.8 (late-1970s to present), it can be quick to decide a grade and move on.

The question isn't what books are "modern", it's what ages are taking too long to grade at the fee being required. 

The reason they charge more for books of higher values is that they get submissions that are lower condition, taking more time to grade.

I wouldn't be surprised if they created a "quick grade" tier for books that are less than 15 years old, which are mostly 9.6 and 9.8 (and quick to do), and then create a new tier for 1975-to-More-than-15-Years-Old.

But if they can still get more 1975-present comics done quickly, there's nothing to change, unless you guys just want to start paying more for "older" books out of principle because they aren't "modern".

Edited by valiantman

On 10/5/2021 at 9:46 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I would vote no because 1975ish is arguably the time people started taking care of their books and hence easy to find high grades.2c

This.  I think the turning point to modern is the point at which a massive number of people wanted to collect them.  No matter how many years pass that turning point is fixed in history. I'm fine with it being called modern forever.