• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction -- Live bidding via email

5 posts in this topic

I'm interested in a few of the higher priced books from the signature heritage auction. I noticed these books also appear on the live auctions section of ebay. If I bid on this auctions via the live ebay feature, am I really bidding in real time against the people on the auction floor in Dallas?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

bhampel

I actually think you are. Last time, when i logged on via ebay, I got through to a page where the lots came and went in real time, and I got the impression you were bidding against the floor.

You have to be quick though, and have a sure trigger finger, otherwise you can bid on the wrong item. Which I did (a late HG Timely with Light Tan pages, which is something I avoid). Thankfully a floor bidder outbid me.

I'm interested in a few of the higher priced books from the signature heritage auction. I noticed these books also appear on the live auctions section of ebay. If I bid on this auctions via the live ebay feature, am I really bidding in real time against the people on the auction floor in Dallas?

Regards,

bhampel

Yes, but now you are paying a 20% Buyer's Premium (instead of the normal 15%).

Regards,

bhampel

Yes, but make sure you have a computer with a fast internet connection and zero lag time or you are certain to lose out on what you're trying to get. Like Andy said, you need a QUICK trigger finger and there is no time to wait and think about your bid.

Regards,

bhampel

For reference there generally is no crowd at the auctions. Back in the Sotheby

auctions (in the early 90's) there was a crowd of hundereds of people. With Heritage there is generally a handful of bidders with most of the competition. coming from phone bidders. For the past two years I've called Heritage and specified the lots I was interested in and would receive a callback when the floor was within 10 -15 lots of a book I was interested in. I liked this feature as I could make the decision on the spot whether I wished to raise my bid. I would only advise very disciplined, price sensitive buyers to use this method. The impulse buyers may later suffer from buyers regret.

Due to the ongoing CGC controversy I have decided to mostly sit out this auction. I am bidding for one book only.