• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping raw books via USPS in Gemini Mailers
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I'm new to selling comics and have half a dozen short boxes to start listing.  For some books, I'll be selling individually.  For cheaper items, I'll be making small lots.

Either way, I've gotten a bundle of Gemini II mailers.  Once I have the book(s) in the mailer, especially less expensive books, what's the best way to ship?  Simply put a label on the Gemini mailer?  Put the mailer in an envelope?  Put the mailer in a box?

For books or lots >$25, I plan to use Flat Rate (legal sized) Envelopes.  Seal the Gemini, slip it into the envelope...easy.

What about the cheaper books/lots?  Most people won't want to pay $9 shipping on items of that value...

Two quick caveats:

• I won't use Media Mail
  • I'm at the Post Office nearly every day (for other sales) already, so USPS is strongly preferred

On 10/6/2021 at 11:54 AM, Eric Perry said:

Simply put a label on the Gemini mailer?  Put the mailer in an envelope?  Put the mailer in a box?

The former can be dangerous because, well, USPS... As a customer, I have always received mailers - with some bubble wrap around it - within another box.

You may want to incorporate your shipping cost into the listing price.

I haven't been to the post office in a decade or two. Gemini is fine. In bubble mailer provides some weather protection. Inside a box for more expensive books probably good. 1 book and just Gemini is $4 something? Prices always rising. A mailer and 3 books sneaks in at under a pound I believe. But probably close to $6 so priority may be way to go. Get the day faster, and $100 of insurance that I have no idea if they would actually pay out if something happens. Should be able to ship up to 3 or 4 pounds for $9 or less. If heavier you can get around 10 pounds in flat rate for $16 ( probably more or soon will be) I used to put about 10 books in a box into a stretch out bubble flat rate for $5.95. Not sure what it cost now. Kids handle it all now. Prices seem to raise each year. Flat rate. Cubic. Regional. I know anything under 4 pounds can be shipped anywhere in the 48 for under $10 unless the prices have gone up in the last year. 

On 10/6/2021 at 11:54 AM, Eric Perry said:

I'm new to selling comics and have half a dozen short boxes to start listing.  For some books, I'll be selling individually.  For cheaper items, I'll be making small lots.

Either way, I've gotten a bundle of Gemini II mailers.  Once I have the book(s) in the mailer, especially less expensive books, what's the best way to ship?  Simply put a label on the Gemini mailer?  Put the mailer in an envelope?  Put the mailer in a box?

For books or lots >$25, I plan to use Flat Rate (legal sized) Envelopes.  Seal the Gemini, slip it into the envelope...easy.

What about the cheaper books/lots?  Most people won't want to pay $9 shipping on items of that value...

Two quick caveats:

• I won't use Media Mail
  • I'm at the Post Office nearly every day (for other sales) already, so USPS is strongly preferred

Ive been shipping comics by media mail for a few years now and never had a single problem. Im not sure why folks shy away from using the service.

With media mail, you can use heavy duty boxes and much more packing materials without it costing you a fortune.

Ive lost count of how many books Ive bought, that were shipped to me by Priority mail and ended up arriving damaged. 

Just dont send slabs by media mail.

On 10/8/2021 at 11:00 AM, lostboys said:
On 10/6/2021 at 8:54 AM, Eric Perry said:

Two quick caveats:

• I won't use Media Mail
Expand  

Ive been shipping comics by media mail for a few years now and never had a single problem. Im not sure why folks shy away from using the service.

With media mail, you can use heavy duty boxes and much more packing materials without it costing you a fortune.

Ive lost count of how many books Ive bought, that were shipped to me by Priority mail and ended up arriving damaged. 

Just dont send slabs by media mail.

I think many people are hesitant to send via media mail because they believe that (most) comics do not fall within the categories of items that are allowed to be shipped by media mail, and prefer not to break the rules, or risk penalty or inspection by the post office.  

I have no interest in the debate of what is technically 'media mail' or not (and I'm sure its been discussed in other threads), but I think that is the biggest reason it is not more commonly used (also its a bit slower, but too slow IMO).  

Edited by revat

On 10/8/2021 at 2:16 PM, revat said:

I think many people are hesitant to send via media mail because they believe that (most) comics do fall within the categories of items that are allowed to be shipped by media mail, and prefer not to break the rules, or risk penalty or inspection by the post office.  

I have no interest in the debate of what is technically 'media mail' or not (and I'm sure its been discussed in other threads), but I think that is the biggest reason it is not more commonly used (also its a bit slower, but too slow IMO).  

Comics do not qualify, this is fact.

I used to use media mail for raws and I was one of the unlucky ones whose package was inspected and deemed to not qualify. Real headache. Recipient gets notified to pick up the package at their local post office, then they get the choice to pay the difference in cost between media mail and priority mail, or have it returned. If returned you get to pay the difference. (At least this is my experience 5 years ago)  note: Prior to the incident I had shipped 100's of non-qualified media mail packages over a span of several years with zero issues.  It's a dice roll.

Edited by Fisionbomb
Wss

On 10/8/2021 at 2:16 PM, revat said:

I think many people are hesitant to send via media mail because they believe that (most) comics do not fall within the categories of items that are allowed to be shipped by media mail, and prefer not to break the rules, or risk penalty or inspection by the post office.  

I use media mail because Ebay and Amazon offer it. They dont have to. They can easily disable the option for comic book listings. Ebay doesnt offer the media mail option if you sell a pair of shoes so they shouldn't offer it if you're selling comic books.

I'm guessing it's some sort of silent agreement between the USPS and Ebay/Amazon. Maybe it's that Ebay mailing label that keeps my packages safe. Maybe the folks having their packages inspected are not using them. The USPS could shut it down if they wanted to.

Edited by lostboys

When I ship bagged and boarded comics, I always put the book(s) between two pieces of cardboard before I put into a Gemini mailer. I have not received any complaints about my shipping.

I am not brave enough to Flat Rate (legal sized envelopes) enclosed in two pieces of cardboard. I have received several books this way, and I have been lucky so far. However, I have seen enough pictures of mangled envelopes which have led to my decision of using only Gemini mailers.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:41 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Comics do not qualify, this is fact.

I used to use media mail for raws and I was one of the unlucky ones whose package was inspected and deemed to not qualify. Real headache. Recipient gets notified to pick up the package at their local post office, then they get the choice to pay the difference in cost between media mail and priority mail, or have it returned. If returned you get to pay the difference. (At least this is my experience 5 years ago)  note: Prior to the incident I had shipped 100's of non-qualified media mail packages over a span of several years with zero issues.  It's a dice roll.

It's an odd distinction they make.  Hard to understand why "advertising" published 60 years ago for a company that's been out of business for 30 years, or a product that hasn't been available since 1970 would count.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:29 AM, MattTheDuck said:

It's an odd distinction they make.  Hard to understand why "advertising" published 60 years ago for a company that's been out of business for 30 years, or a product that hasn't been available since 1970 would count.

Where does one draw the line?  Is the postal employee supposed to be able to date the books at a glance, or should they open the books so they can read the indica on the splash page. 

If I get a package that is media mail and it shouldn't be, I won't buy from that seller again. 

On 10/12/2021 at 2:47 PM, shadroch said:

...If I get a package that is media mail and it shouldn't be, I won't buy from that seller again. 

I appreciate that line of thinking.  Sellers who follow the rules, even though the "risk of being caught" by USPS is slim, are likely honest with other facets of their business.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

- C. S. Lewis

On 10/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, shadroch said:

Where does one draw the line?  Is the postal employee supposed to be able to date the books at a glance, or should they open the books so they can read the indica on the splash page. 

If I get a package that is media mail and it shouldn't be, I won't buy from that seller again. 

"If I were running the Post Office" I'd set a year - "anything published before 2000" or something like that can go Media Mail.  The purpose of these rules is to prevent someone from using a lower rate to mail advertising pieces for something they're trying to sell today.  I don't blame the PO for squeezing as much as possible out of mailers, especially those trying to sell something, but I try to broadly apply some common sense to things.  I know the Post Office doesn't operate on that basis so what I think doesn't matter much.

For single comics that are pricier (i.e. >$25), I will ship the book in a toploader inside of a Gemini Mailer. 

For Golden Age or books that are >$500, I will double-box.

Comic book lots - I have used Media Mail for the past 20+ years and have never had any problems. But for pricier comic book lots, considering how much of a beating Media Mail packages get, I will bite the bullet and use Priority Mail just to minimize the shipping time and risk.

Trade Paperbacks have no advertising and thus, I've also thought they qualify for Media Mail.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, Luuucky said:

That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No, I don't want to risk having my books pawed thru by someone inspecting them, I don't want to deal with the delay and frankly- if a seller takes shortcuts like that, what else might they do. 

On 10/12/2021 at 12:15 PM, Eric Perry said:

I appreciate that line of thinking.  Sellers who follow the rules, even though the "risk of being caught" by USPS is slim, are likely honest with other facets of their business.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.”

- C. S. Lewis

Egg Xactly.