• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Payette

24 posts in this topic

Anyone deal with him before? How is his grading? We have emailed back and forth a few times on a book he has, and he seems like a nice guy, but it never hurts to ask. I am mostly concerned on how accurate he is. Thanks!

Anyone deal with him before? How is his grading? We have emailed back and forth a few times on a book he has, and he seems like a nice guy, but it never hurts to ask. I am mostly concerned on how accurate he is. Thanks!

I'll give him a high recommendation. He doesn't often get his due, but the guy is top notch.

Andy, Jim is one of the old school guys (in a good way) who's been in this hobby forever. He deals primarily in mid-to-low grade GA and SA. He's been an Overstreet advisor for as long as I can remember (I know, I know), if that means anything to you. I have dealt with him at least five times with no problems.

Joe

I have never bought from Jim myself, but have heard from several folks I trust that he's a good guy to work with and that his grades are generally accurate. have taken a gander at his inventory and considered some things; I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up buying from him myself at some point.

I've only had one purchase from Payette. A Swamp Thing #20 and #21. Both were advertised as NM/MT. Neither was even close. I sent the #20 back.

From what I've heard around here he is a solid grader, so I may buy from him again. But NOT HG. He has a wide array of GA/SA comics in his inventory.

Jim Payette is an honest guy, and a tight grader, but Norrin may be correct about his high grade grading. I've only purchased low to mid grade gold from him, and those books were always accurately graded.

I've bought a golden age books from Jim over the years. Whether low, mid or high grade I have always found his grading to be excellent. I don't think he deals a lot in modern books, so I can't say how his grading is on those.

One of my friends orders from his catalog pretty regularly, and I marvel over what he sells as "fair". Sometimes I think he calls 'em "fair", prices 'em at "good" and calls it even. At the low end he really seems to sell nice books.

I've had some nice books come from him, and always heard positive things spoken. But as for pre-code prices in his current inventory... well, a little rich IMO.

I've not checked his current prices so cannot attest to the precode $$$. I was just expressing my experiences with him.

You know, it is a sad thing. Precode horror is still overpriced in many areas. It is why I tend to buy them in large lots (well, if you consider 30 or so LARGE) lots live and in person at cons. I just walk around until I find someone like Basement or SoCal that has the goods at a reasonable price and start building stacks. Gets a nice discount and get nice books and no worries.

(I have no idea why I posted most of this except for the wine!)

Povertyrow, you drunkard! wink.gif

I was hesitant to post anything that could be construed as a negative about Mr. Payette, since in my experience and from everything I've heard, he's as straight a shooter as they come. But in light of some of the GA discussions about precode book prices, etc. I decided I'd post that... just that IMO some of his prices (not all) seem high compared to the current trends.

I do concur that picking up nice precode at a show is a nice way to do it whenever possible! Several times I've gotten a nice book from Richard Evans of Bedrock City that way, as well as others.

Now - finish up that bottle.

Now - finish up that bottle.

The bottle is no more. An inexpensive Bordeaux.

But in light of some of the GA discussions about precode book prices, etc. I decided I'd post that... just that IMO some of his prices (not all) seem high compared to the current trends.

Actually I am glad you did. It is always interesting to a precode collector to see what the dealers are asking, especially someone like Jim. As I HAVE been pretty vocal the past year or so about ridiculous precode horror prices, I will find Jim's listings interesting. So off to his web site (well, after I cook some pasta and dress it with a most amazing homemade marinara sauce made from picked off the vine from my best friend's garden in the Sonoma Valley and then eat same).

Actually, will probably be tomorrow! grin.gifhi.gif