• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They got the color wrong
2 2

32 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2021 at 11:53 PM, Gaard said:

I'm losing that steel trap of a memory I once had, but I seem to recall a Daredevil cover with a skeleton on horseback. That was kinda cool, but the liberal use of the color pink on the cover sucked big time.

On 10/13/2021 at 12:36 AM, lizards2 said:

I always remembered saw that as purple..., I actually remembered the specific issue number!!!  Must stop giving those sports trivia guys carp...., :baiting: 

s-l1600.jpg

I recalled the issue number instantly because it’s describing the only one drawn by John Byrne in the Bronze Age run of the title.  Also the crossover issue with Byrne’s Ghost Rider 20. 

Also coincidental that we’re talking about the artist of that particular X-Men issue.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/12/2021 at 9:29 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I recalled the issue number instantly because it’s describing the only one drawn by John Byrne in the Bronze Age run of the title.  Also the crossover issue with Byrne’s Ghost Rider 20. 

Also coincidental that we’re talking about the artist of that particular X-Men issue.

Interesting - I couldn't tell you who drew or wrote any of it.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:03 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Looks good to me. The colors all compliment each other. The red cover above is just way to much red.

They do compliment each other, that's fair, but I feel like the green has the same effect as the red, and it stands out too much?

On 10/12/2021 at 9:26 PM, World Devourer said:

Hmmm...I think ruined buildings or a even a night sky would have been better. 

My point of contention is the childish caption.

"The End..."  would have encapsulated things perfectly.

I think this is pretty well bang on

Knowing nothing of color theory and as someone the US Government keeps insisting is partially color blind, I'm wondering if color schemes appeal to different ages?  Does what works on a Broadway poster geared to middle age adults also work on something targeting adolescent boys? Don't cars targeted to young men generally come in colors that Buick and Cadillac don't use?

On 10/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, kav said:

In the ASM 50 it would have been even better if parker was wearing purple instead of blue.  Purple can be either warm or cool depending on the surrounding colors.

Question though.. in this case isn’t the idea for Parker to stand out without being overly obvious?  I feel like purple would run the risk of blending in too much with the red and the image of Parker walking away from is not properly contrasted from Spiderman.  Also the blue in the suit is the same color as the spiderman costume which may have also been important to the image. 

On 10/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, Buzzetta said:

Question though.. in this case isn’t the idea for Parker to stand out without being overly obvious?  I feel like purple would run the risk of blending in too much with the red and the image of Parker walking away from is not properly contrasted from Spiderman.  Also the blue in the suit is the same color as the spiderman costume which may have also been important to the image. 

you can use a very blue purple.  that would accomplish it and still be a warm color.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:58 AM, shadroch said:

Knowing nothing of color theory and as someone the US Government keeps insisting is partially color blind, I'm wondering if color schemes appeal to different ages?  Does what works on a Broadway poster geared to middle age adults also work on something targeting adolescent boys? Don't cars targeted to young men generally come in colors that Buick and Cadillac don't use?

To some degree this is true but there are basics that appeal to all ages-thats why restaurants are usally earth tones and toothpaste is usually in a blue and white package.  But yes bright colors appeal to kids.