• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper 9.2 Grail: is 9.4 possible
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Asking for assistance as I'm torn on this issue (... no pun intended).  I have in my possession a 9.2 TMNT #1 and I was asked if it was worth attempting to crack it, press, and resubmit.  I originally didn't think so; but the more I thought about it - I'm unsure.

(I want to state that I acknowledge this is being picky, and this book in a natural 9.2 is nothing to snuff, but this will also help benefit my grading and pressing knowledge)

I don't believe a 9.6 is possible (correct me if wrong) given the black cover and it's issues, and when I compare it to other black cover 9.0s I see some risk of even possibly downgrading and "loosing out" even after a press in all ways (grade, time, money, etc)

The biggest issue is a small color breaking crease on the back top right corner. Would a black book with that color break defect have a possibility of making a 9.4 even after smoothing it out? (This is what I think makes a 9.6 a no-go)

Here are some photos of the key defects, nearly all of which I think can be fixed with a press (even the staple imprints?).

Thanks for the assist and your time, as it is much appreciated!

PXL_20211013_011530792.jpg

PXL_20211013_011332267.jpg

PicsArt_10-12-09.25.22.jpg

PXL_20211013_011627746.jpg

PXL_20211013_011609923.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 8:03 PM, comicdonna said:

It's my opinion that the book is currently a 9.0  and I don't think it will ever get a CGC 9.4 grade.  

This exactly. And I could also see it as an 8.5.

9.2 looks to be a generous grade. A press may help it retain it's current label but I doubt it would improve it. 

Thanks for sharing.

I'd say a press will improve the book but that grade seems high to begin with.  Don't press, take a few dollars that you'll save and buy some lottery tickets.  Maybe you'll get lucky again. You could press it, resubmit it and end up with a 9.0.  Too much risk for little reward. 

Enjoy your book.

Edited by shadroch

On 10/12/2021 at 10:03 PM, comicdonna said:

It's my opinion that the book is currently a 9.0  and I don't think it will ever get a CGC 9.4 grade.  

Thank you. I felt similarly once comparing it to other black cover 9.0s and 9.2s I was able to reference. The more I thought about it I saw a press helping preserve a lucky 9.2 grade, but the color break being enough to possibly bring it down to 9.0 on its own irrespective of the other flaws. It's not worth the risk IMHO

For clarity: the book is not mine and I'm only it's "caretaker" until a decision is made. A family member wanted to gift it to me and but I wouldn't accept. They weren't fully aware of it's current FMV (they're not a serious collector)

They felt they got a bad grade (I lol'd when they told me that) and as I said they asked about cracking and pressing since this was before it was a standard thing. I told them the potential risk is greater than the reward and shot their 9.6 pipe dream out of their head when I showed them my black cover 9.6 slab for comparison. I told them a 9.4 was an extreme maybe, and that a 9.0 had a serious chance of happening, which would be a bigger loss than the hefty grading fee.

Also, as generous as 9.2 is, an 8.5 is harsh

Edited by vacantpassenger

On 10/12/2021 at 11:07 PM, Zegeroth said:

Really too hard to access this inside a case via pictures.  From what I see on color breaking creases and lower right, i would not dare crack this.

Agree. I think it's a true 9.0 in a 9.2 slab.

Also - TMNT # 1 is one of those fragile books where pressing's just as likely to result in additional cracks/creases than not.

100% not worth the risk.

On 10/13/2021 at 6:56 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Also - TMNT # 1 is one of those fragile books where pressing's just as likely to result in additional cracks/creases than not.

I haven't heard of this before. Is that a known thing with newsprint comics I'm unaware of? 

On 10/13/2021 at 4:56 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Agree. I think it's a true 9.0 in a 9.2 slab.

100% not worth the risk.

This.
A well-executed press would probably make it a solid 9.2.
But the process would be a risk with more negative connotations than positive.