• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Came back damaged - Part of new grading procedure??

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I've made 2 submissions to CGC. One in March that's still scheduled for grading and one through my LCS a month ago that just got back. Seems a lot of folks got back their Sept-Oct submissions quickly due to the new grading system they are trying. Well initially I was all for it as I got my books back quick, but one came back pretty beat up and it wasn't like that before.

I submitted 5 books through my LCS, 4 came back as I expected and 1 was a Killing Joke that came back 9.2 when I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Once I got it back, I took a look an noticed it had a nasty ding on the bottom left corner. I know it wasn't damaged with my LCS as he's a solid dude I've known for a while who would let me know if he messed up and if it was the mail carrier, wouldn't the rest be damaged too? 

Anyways, not really looking for a refund as I know CGC takes no liability plus there is still a slim chance it was my LCS or the mail who damaged it. What I'm curious about is has anyone else gotten damaged books back from this new grading procedure? Because I'd take a longer wait time over damaged books any day. But if I'm just an unlucky sucker, so be it. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

hm

I'm just not trying to look like I'm bashing on CGC. I don't know who's fault it is and all I'm asking in this post is "Is this a pattern in the new grading procedure they're trying or just an unlucky mistake by one of the three parties involved"

On 10/13/2021 at 11:51 AM, Devin Colman said:

I'm just not trying to look like I'm bashing on CGC. I don't know who's fault it is and all I'm asking in this post is "Is this a pattern in the new grading procedure they're trying or just an unlucky mistake by one of the three parties involved"

It's a valid question, I just found the contradiction interesting. :)

On 10/13/2021 at 11:44 AM, Devin Colman said:

Hi everyone, 

I've made 2 submissions to CGC. One in March that's still scheduled for grading and one through my LCS a month ago that just got back. Seems a lot of folks got back their Sept-Oct submissions quickly due to the new grading system they are trying. Well initially I was all for it as I got my books back quick, but one came back pretty beat up and it wasn't like that before.

I submitted 5 books through my LCS, 4 came back as I expected and 1 was a Killing Joke that came back 9.2 when I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Once I got it back, I took a look an noticed it had a nasty ding on the bottom left corner. I know it wasn't damaged with my LCS as he's a solid dude I've known for a while who would let me know if he messed up and if it was the mail carrier, wouldn't the rest be damaged too? 

Anyways, not really looking for a refund as I know CGC takes no liability plus there is still a slim chance it was my LCS or the mail who damaged it. What I'm curious about is has anyone else gotten damaged books back from this new grading procedure? Because I'd take a longer wait time over damaged books any day. But if I'm just an unlucky sucker, so be it. 

There have been people getting books back with dinged corners, yes. Not sure if its connected to whatever the new grading procedure is.

I submitted books last year through my local comic shop and one of them came back with obvious damage.  Old tape was torn off ripping a chunk out of the cover. 

It was kind of heart breaking. It was a LB Cole Blue Bolt that was 70+ years old and I hate to think it was damaged under my supervision. 

Anyway, CGC claimed they got it that way. The shop claimed they didn't do it. No one took responsibility and I couldn't really prove anything since the books left my hands. I could have cared less about the money or credit, I was just so disappointed in the damage. 

So, moral of the story, I don't recommend submitting through comic shops. When things go wrong, you have no way of knowing who is responsible. 

(Before and after pics. Notice the chip missing on the spine by the green monster. There was old tape there that got snagged somewhere along the way)

20200725_103401.jpg

IMG_20210108_062021302.jpg

Edited by KCOComics

My rule of thumb...

Never let anyone do anything with my comics if I can do it myself. This includes packing and shipping them.

It's not that I don't trust people. I just don't trust them that much.

Edited by Gaard