• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grader Notes
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I just received back a PERFECT book that was graded 9.2.  No grader notes.

I see this as just very lazy on CGC's behalf.  It must be clear to YOU folks why this wasn't a 9.8 or better.  Can't you give me three words in text to let me know why?  Is that too much to ask?  Grading submissions are expensive and you have this information on hand apparently.  Why can't you share it?

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. Grader Notes are made at the graders' discretion; they are not a guaranteed part of the service but are provided as a courtesy to paid members and dealers when available. Often, they may not be entirely comprehensive or give a 100% accurate description of the defects and the notes vary from grader to grader. 

Multiple professionals examine every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency.  I am sorry that no grader notes were take on your item.  The grader notes are not required nor a guaranteed part of the grading service.  Since no notes were taken by the grading team, there is no further information I can provide to you regarding the grade of your item.  I apologize for any inconvenience.  

A link to the CGC Guarantee is below for your reference:

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-guarantee/

Thank you,

On 10/22/2021 at 4:37 PM, Zeno Lancaster said:

What is my incentive to stay with your company with such an unhelpful answer?  Honestly...

Unfortunately, if no notes were taken for your book there's no way for anyone else to determine why it received a 9.2 instead of a higher grade. The only way to know for sure would be to crack it out and inspect it yourself or resubmit the book and have them look at it again...   

On 10/24/2021 at 8:47 AM, The Lions Den said:

Unfortunately, if no notes were taken for your book there's no way for anyone else to determine why it received a 9.2 instead of a higher grade. The only way to know for sure would be to crack it out and inspect it yourself or resubmit the book and have them look at it again...   

Play "Spin The Wheel?" I doubt I would pay for the service all over again. Grader notes should be a must.

On 10/18/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. Grader Notes are made at the graders' discretion; they are not a guaranteed part of the service but are provided as a courtesy to paid members and dealers when available. Often, they may not be entirely comprehensive or give a 100% accurate description of the defects and the notes vary from grader to grader. 

Multiple professionals examine every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency.  I am sorry that no grader notes were take on your item.  The grader notes are not required nor a guaranteed part of the grading service.  Since no notes were taken by the grading team, there is no further information I can provide to you regarding the grade of your item.  I apologize for any inconvenience.  

A link to the CGC Guarantee is below for your reference:

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-guarantee/

Thank you,

This needs to change. Grader notes should be a MUST and included as a PDF in an email or paper copy when return shipping.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:11 PM, BlackNGold said:

Grading notes are a courtesy. You are not entitled to grading notes and if you submit you are not paying extra for grading notes.. Suck it up buttercups. Where were you when they gave out grading notes for free for 15 years??

Buttercup?

On the 16th year, I wondered where TF they went. The larger point is grading notes NEED to be part of the service. Or are you saying that what was once PART of the service was DROPPED because it became "Inconvenient" or time consuming and wasn't "cost effective" and so the customer got LESS value for their business? So, what was once PART of the service is now referred to as a "courtesy"? CGC was a fledgling company and bent over backward to garner business and a good rep and now that they are a blue chip company, clients can stuff it? I don't agree with that at all.

If a grade seems WAY off base, I for one would like to know WHY and HOW the conclusion was arrived at. If I was reasonably certain my book was a 9.0 and comes back a 9.6? I want to know why. Because now I have a 9.6 graded book that looks like a 9.0 and I can't SELL it for 9.6 prices because everyone who looks at it says "Yeh RIIIIGHT. Pass." And even I don't believe it. Same if I have a sterling book. Flawless in every way and it comes back a 9.0. Now I have to eat the submission costs and the waiting time because I'm going to bust it out of its WRONGLY graded bastille.

Papa gonna have questions. Papa gonna want answers.

I - in fact  - believe I AM entitled to them as a paying customer. If I pay to subject my book to a third party opinion, if I have a question or disagree, I believe I have a right to know how that grade was arrived at. FURTHER and as a matter of fact, if I were able to walk in, sit in a waiting room with a magazine in my lap waiting for my book to be processed, they come out and "Here you go, Mister!" and I look at the grade and have a question, they will stand there and answer it before we bid each other sweet adieu.

How does THAT sound to YOU, Buttercup?

On 10/26/2021 at 4:20 PM, billsid said:

What he said! Waiting 5-6 months for grades only to have no idea why books are graded is just plain lazy. 

Well, I just think that it's important for the paying customer to know how a grade was arrived at if there is enough ambiguity to question the grade. I sort of doubt at this point there are 3 graders putting in their 2 cents on the same book.

As a customer? Here are the things that I don't care about:

I don't care if having to grade a book is stressful. Go dig ditches, then.
I don't care how busy they are. Back logged? Hire. Train. RInse. Repeat.
I don't care about their problems with hiring.
I don't care about their difficulties with storage.
I don't care if they have trouble with scheduling.
I don't care about their problems with encapsulating.

Why, I must be some sort of sociopath! Here's why I don't care:

I own and operate a business. MY responsibility is to say "How high, sir or ma'am?" MY responsibility is to make sure each and every client is satisfied and if errors or botches happen, what can I do to make YOU whole again? NEVER offer excuses. Suck it up. AND! I am a benevolent boss! Accidents happen. And my usual speech is usually something like: "I get it. HOWEVER. This must never EVER happen again. Am I clear?"

And - as it turns out - I am as clear as the finest crystal.

A good company will ensure that customer complaints are dealt with swiftly and not repeated. And MOST importantly, not occur in the first place. A company who have these problems and rationalize them off or use the old saw "That's the cost of doing business" shouldn't BE in business. Because it isn't their cost (at first). It's their clients cost. If it continues, it WILL be their cost as they garner a lousy reputation as frauds and swindles and slowly lose respect and reputation.

A good company MAKES it work. Or eventually, there will BE no company.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:16 PM, Randall Ries said:

Buttercup?

On the 16th year, I wondered where TF they went. The larger point is grading notes NEED to be part of the service. Or are you saying that what was once PART of the service was DROPPED because it became "Inconvenient" or time consuming and wasn't "cost effective" and so the customer got LESS value for their business? So, what was once PART of the service is now referred to as a "courtesy"? CGC was a fledgling company and bent over backward to garner business and a good rep and now that they are a blue chip company, clients can stuff it? I don't agree with that at all.

If a grade seems WAY off base, I for one would like to know WHY and HOW the conclusion was arrived at. If I was reasonably certain my book was a 9.0 and comes back a 9.6? I want to know why. Because now I have a 9.6 graded book that looks like a 9.0 and I can't SELL it for 9.6 prices because everyone who looks at it says "Yeh RIIIIGHT. Pass." And even I don't believe it. Same if I have a sterling book. Flawless in every way and it comes back a 9.0. Now I have to eat the submission costs and the waiting time because I'm going to bust it out of its WRONGLY graded bastille.

Papa gonna have questions. Papa gonna want answers.

I - in fact  - believe I AM entitled to them as a paying customer. If I pay to subject my book to a third party opinion, if I have a question or disagree, I believe I have a right to know how that grade was arrived at. FURTHER and as a matter of fact, if I were able to walk in, sit in a waiting room with a magazine in my lap waiting for my book to be processed, they come out and "Here you go, Mister!" and I look at the grade and have a question, they will stand there and answer it before we bid each other sweet adieu.

How does THAT sound to YOU, Buttercup?

So you're saying you only trust professionals that grade thousands and thousands of books every year and are accepted as an industry standard...  IF they agree with your amateur (and totally unbiased - lol) personal opinion/assesment of the book you're hoping to sell?  But if they don't they owe you a drawn out explanation that you'd disagree with anyway?

It's all outlined, know what you're getting into before you submit and quit whining when grades don't match your amateur assessments. Don't like it? Don't submit. 

Edited by Fisionbomb
Yup

On 10/26/2021 at 7:36 PM, Fisionbomb said:

So you're saying you only trust professionals that grade thousands and thousands of books every and are accepted as an industry standard...  IF they agree with your amateur (and totally unbiased - lol) personal opinion/assesment of the book you're hoping to sell?  But if they don't they owe you a drawn out explanation that you'd disagree with anyway?

It's all outlined, know what you're getting into before you submit and quit whining when grades don't match your amateur assessments. Don't like it? Don't submit. 

I'M saying if I get a book back and it is OBVIOUSLY wrong, I would like to know how they came to that conclusion. Is that simple enough for you? Wouldn't you want an answer?

Or do you blithely accept everything everyone tells you? "AW. My IPod was supposed to come with free HeadCandy. Oh well."

Come on. I get the difference between "Oh well. I thought it was a 9.4 but I got a 9.2. BALLS! Oh well. No biggie". But the point here is if there is a large enough gap to require an answer, some at least topical notes should be part of the service. And that would require standardized grader notes. Type some notes into your computer about each submission and get over it. How long does it take to type out:

"Small creases FC"
"Long crease BC"
"Ink rub upper left corner FC"
"Missing page 27"

Took me less than 40 seconds. Laziness.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:45 PM, Randall Ries said:

I'M saying if I get a book back and it is OBVIOUSLY wrong, I would like to know how they came to that conclusion. Is that simple enough for you? Wouldn't you want an answer?

Or do you blithely accept everything everyone tells you? "AW. My IPod was supposed to come with free HeadCandy. Oh well."

Come on. I get the difference between "Oh well. I thought it was a 9.4 but I got a 9.2. BALLS! Oh well. No biggie". But the point here is if there is a large enough gap to require an answer, some at least topical notes should be part of the service. And that would require standardized grader notes. Type some notes into your computer about each submission and get over it. How long does it take to type out:

"Small creases FC"
"Long crease BC"
"Ink rub upper left corner FC"
"Missing page 27"

Took me less than 40 seconds. Laziness.

Define "OBVIOUSLY wrong" as it pertains to you knowing graders notes aren't a part of the service then expecting them anyway.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:13 PM, BlackNGold said:

That's ridiculous. Let's round it up to a 1 minute average. 5 million x 1 minute = 5 million minutes which is 9 1/2 years. Yeah, not laziness at all :makepoint:

Stop it. That's fools logic. I timed myself. It took 32 seconds. Gave you the 8 seconds as a handicap. What you are trying to do is make it seem like it takes 9 years to fill out some lousy grader notes. Takes more time to butter and pour maple syrup on your flapjacks, Zeke.

The point is about quality. Stop the excuses for slipshod service. You are paying top dollar. Make it count. I have questions about a grade. I paid and I want an answer. Just like any other estimate.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:49 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Define "OBVIOUSLY wrong" as it pertains to you knowing graders notes aren't a part of the service then expecting them anyway.

MY "OBVIOUSLY wrong" would be the exact same as YOUR "OBVIOUSLY wrong". You have looked at grded books and said to yourself quietly. Under the blankets. Or in the bathroom "Ain't no WAY that's a 9.6." "OBVIOUSLY wrong" as in "In WHAT Universe is THAT a 9.6? If I got that back, I'd want answers."

Don't lie to me. You would and you know it. So, stop.

"Self delusion has no PLACE in this dojo DOES IT???"

"NO SENSEI!"

On 10/26/2021 at 8:07 PM, BlackNGold said:

They were never part of the service so this pouting is moot. It was always a courtesy.

Well you aren't oh Entitled One. Never have been.

You don't.

Non-dealers are not allowed on the CGC campus so the example is again moot.

Pathetic actually.

All ridiculous and false. You lose. Boot to the head!