• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Might Actually Be Good. DC Needs The Win
1 1

82 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2021 at 12:00 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Looked more to me like a thirtysomething Robin. Not a young Batman.  Kidding me if he was a teenage orphan. 

he was 19 when he made that movie so not sure about 30 something Robin.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:05 PM, kav said:

he was 19 when he made that movie so not sure about 30 something Robin.

I exaggerated while watching it. But, looked far too old.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:07 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I exaggerated while watching it. But, looked far too old.

he was 19.

There have been good DC films that I find rewatchable, such as Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman : Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition, Justice League : The Snyder Cut, and Watchmen Director’s Cut.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:15 PM, Ken Aldred said:

There have been good DC films that I find rewatchable, such as Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman : Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition, Justice League : The Snyder Cut, and Watchmen Director’s Cut.

That is a fact. I liked Man Of Steel a lot even though even here on the boards it was bashed to pieces. Those battle sequences were really well done. I can't speak to the latter movies. I haven't watched only Bat v Supes. Which didn't really grab me.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:15 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The only way I can watch batman v superman is skip all the lex luthor parts.  The giggling annoying joker wanna be luthor is really grating.  I dont like the snyder cut it removed all my favorite scenes.

On 10/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

I haven't watched only Bat v Supes. Which didn't really grab me

The Ultimate Edition Director’s Cut is far superior to the quite tedious cinema theatrical version.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, kav said:

The only way I can watch batman v superman is skip all the lex luthor parts.  The giggling annoying joker wanna be luthor is really grating.  I dont like the snyder cut it removed all my favorite scenes.

Ah yeah. WTF was up with casting that dude as Luthor? He was a ginger? I was expecting someone at least like the Kingpin. Or The Rock.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:42 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The Ultimate Edition Director’s Cut is far superior to the quite tedious cinema theatrical version.

Well, now I have to watch it. I give everything a chance before it ultimately disappoints me. LOL! Not that it will. "Watchmen" was very good although REALLY depressing. I didn't go on a bummer when I read the series.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:43 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Ah yeah. WTF was up with casting that dude as Luthor? He was a ginger? I was expecting someone at least like the Kingpin. Or The Rock.

what happened was the brain geniuses said golly people sure like the joker!  lets make luthor like the joker!
That movie single handedly made me HATE Jesse Eisenberg.

Then they said 'hey lets put him in arkham asylum-joker always goes there and stuff!'.
Lex Luthor is a sane, criminal genius.  Not some giggling wacko.  Stupid.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:41 PM, kav said:

Here's my review of that suckfest:

One thing I've noticed about DC movies as opposed to Marvel movies is the crowds.  In a Marvel movie the
crowd is reacting to what's happening.  In a DC movie the crowd just stands there while a green flying guy
you know, shoots magical beams that stop a crashing heli and saves a girl from a falling structure with
a FORCE FIELD.  Even after the FLYING GREEN GUY shoots skyward, no one says a word.  Also, they're evenly
spaced.  It's like the director said ok you guys stand here here and here etc then forgot about them.
Dumb, man.  No one says "WHO IS THAT DUDE? HOW CAN HE FLY?" or even "OMG!"
     Also, the debut of GL was dumb.  A heli starts to crash-heads for the crowd, all this times passes
before FINALLY GL does something about it.  He watched it all go down, like everyone, but just, I don't
know, reached for another drink.
     Also we have Sinestro- the GL leader(the guardians don't say or do much of anything-they kinda remind 
me of Michael Jackson on propofol. Dumb).  So Sinestro tells Hal how inferior and unworthy he is
cause he's human.  If I was Hal I would have quipped 'Hey Goebbels-what's with the racist attitude,
man?  Haven't you ever heard of diversity?  Seig Heil, dude.'  
The film plods along with the usual stupidities.  No one recognizes Hal because he's wearing an 
eye mask.  To test this I bought a same size domino mask and put it on.  I walked around to various
friends and acquantances and guess what-every single one said 'Hey Kav-what's with the mask?'  Dumb.
     I also don't like the lantern.  It's obviously a lightweight cheap plastic prop and looks somewhat
like a 60's hippie lamp.  Dumb.
     Then we have the scene kyped from the original Superman movie where he flies up to Lois Lane I 
mean Carol Ferris's penthouse.  He even steals Superman's line 
'are you ok?' And why does everyone in the movies live in penthouses???  I
guess Hollywood thinks since they and all their friends live in penthouses, so must the rest of
America.  Out of touch, boys?  It bugs me that the average 17 year old can spot these gaffes yet no
one on a multimillion dollar movie set can.  Hollywood: I'M AVAILABLE FOR CONSULTATION!  I'LL
WORK FOR FREE!  Christ.
     OK finally Carol recognizes it's Hal.  Why it took her 3 minutes of staring to come up with this
when my friends didn't even take 1/2 a second is a mystery.  PS can't the actor at least shave if he's
gonna be in a multimillion dollar film? These and other questions I have. The beard stubble is distracting.  
Hal's OA GL mentor explained the mask appears when he's among his own kind so he can go unrecognized.
The fact that beings as dumb as this have such powerful weapons scares me.
     And the romance scenes really DRAG, man.  They could have just as effectively put up a sign
that said 'ROMANCE SCENE HERE" instead of having the 'actors' go thru the painful motions of
speaking such lame dialogue.
     Then there's the scene where Hal's old schoolmate now turned toad-style kung fu lookin dude
battles GL. He keeps launching oxygen tanks at GL and GL keeps trying to block them with his ring.
Of course several slip past and knock him senseless.  Hey, dummy-just make a friggin force field.
Christ.  Then we have to hear the cheesy villain 'moogie-ha-ha' laugh.  Corny, guys. Weak 
characterization.  No one is 100% evil-Hitler liked dogs.  But that's too deep for these writers,
no-they went with the formula villain.  In fact this whole movie could have been written by a 
computer.  I'm not kidding.  There are actual programs that do this.  So then the villain starts 
MONOLOGUING.  Guys-go see 'The Incredibles'.  That movie MOCKED the weak character device pretty
effectively.
     Then we learn that Hal is AFRAID.  He has the most advanced weapon ever devised and he's 
AFRAID.  Give me the freakin ring and I'll handle it dude.  I'll defeat the menace because I'll 
ATTACK it instead of staring at it with gaping mouth.  Double Christ.  Hollywood-it's not a good
sign when a viewer keeps waiting for the movie to be OVER.  But that's how I felt.  And everyone
else I talked to.  Even teenagers HATED this movie.  PS the actor that plays Sinestro is great-
it's too bad he got pulled into this suckfest.
     We also have the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom rip-off where the evil guardian
sucks the souls out of his victim's eyeballs.  Lame.  Then Hal gets half his soul sucked out but 
he's still ok.  I guess a half-wit can operate with a half-soul.  This movie is a real tragedy
it could have been so good-GL has the most interesting super power.  But Hollywood formula 
writing prevails and we have suckfest instead.
     Hal lures the creature into the asteroid belt, which is strangely close to Earth, and is chock
full of asteroids.  Science note-the actual belt is so sparse if you passed thru it you would't
see a single asteroid.  The entire mass of asteroids circling the Sun at a circumference of billions
of miles would constitute a small moon.  There's not much there, folks.  Sorry.  If the actual
belt was this crowded Earth would be struck so often that no life, not even bacteria, would have 
time to evolve.

So therefore I am re-naming this movie 'Green Latrine'
That's a wrap.

regarding the part where you wear a mask and walk up to your friends and they say "Hey Kav, what's with the mask?"

Change it to you fly by in a green costume and use a force field to stop a crashing plane. Your friends won't know it is you because Kav isn't a super human being with extraordinary powers. That is why the small mask and green costume work.

All that said, I didn't like the movie.

Edited by Artboy99

On 10/17/2021 at 1:10 PM, Artboy99 said:

regarding the part where you wear a mask and walk up to your friends and they say "Hey Kav, what's with the mask?"

Change it to you fly by in a green costume and use a force field to stop a crashing plane. Your friends won't know it is you because Kav isn't a super human being with extraordinary powers as they usually expect. That is why the small mask and green costume work.

All that said, I didn't like the movie.

I really doubt it.  I mean my face is my face.  my voice is my voice.  I dont think if i hovered in the air they just wouldnt be able to figger it out.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:12 PM, kav said:

I dont think if i hovered in the air they just wouldnt be able to figger it out.

They'd think you were in league with Satan and start yelling stuff like "The power of Christ COMPELS you!" and throwing water at you.

That whole thing about Clark Kent stooping a little and glasses made zero sense. Someone postulated he vibrated slightly to alter his appearance. Yeah, but no. He was surrounded by investigative reporters and one in particular who was hot for Superman. Women memorize every detail. No way he'd get away with it.

The Superman I miss most is the pre-Crisis Superman with Curt Swan. All this modern Superman stuff is not for me.

On 10/17/2021 at 3:28 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

They'd think you were in league with Satan and start yelling stuff like "The power of Christ COMPELS you!" and throwing water at you.

That whole thing about Clark Kent stooping a little and glasses made zero sense. Someone postulated he vibrated slightly to alter his appearance. Yeah, but no. He was surrounded by investigative reporters and one in particular who was hot for Superman. Women memorize every detail. No way he'd get away with it.

The Superman I miss most is the pre-Crisis Superman with Curt Swan. All this modern Superman stuff is not for me.

there's a magic trick where you levitate 1 inch from the ground.  its pretty convincing if done right.  I did it for one of my students once and he got scared and thought I was satan until I showed him how it is done.