• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why you shouldn't slab your Church copy!

21 posts in this topic

I just threw up a little.

What a shame. Looks like the bindery tear got caught in the slab edge. It may or may not have reduced it to a 9.6, but it's still likely the best copy in the world.

The micro-chamber paper slipping is a real eye sore. If I owned that book, I'd personally fly it to Sarasota for a reholder. I wouldn't ship it.

Now I know why the "Dentist" doesn't CGC his Action 1. Can you imagine? You think that you're safely preserving and even adding value to your book and something like that happens! Hell, that book has stayed in a remarkable state of preservation for all those years and then.......poof!

Im not seeing how the slab caused this corner damage.... Ive seen lots of SCS dings and agree that CGCing your books for the heck of it is stupid, preservation-wie, but a flecked corner like that happened to lots of killer books, Churchs too.

Im not seeing how the slab caused this corner damage.... Ive seen lots of SCS dings and agree that CGCing your books for the heck of it is stupid, preservation-wie, but a flecked corner like that happened to lots of killer books, Churchs too.

Did the piece magically fall off while in the slab and then walk itself up an inch in the slab?

There are 2 possibilities.

1. The piece fell off during slabbing or

2. The piece fell off due to SCS.

No way that piece wasn't loose anyway before it got slabbed? Could've happened just as easily in snug mylar; even more so from the horror stories I've heard about mylar and static cling snags...

yeah. I took a second look andnow see the errant piece. But a loose hanger like that comes off in my mylars too from time to time. Slab DAMAGE causes pieces to come off that WERENT loose to begin with. This is not that. Still sucks, but...

Come on, the book was damaged either during the process or after, no ifs ands or buts. Whether the chip could have happened in a mylar is irrelevent, the damages occured in the slab and thus lowers the grade. Still a beautifull book and still worth the price, but if i was the owner I would be miffed if it happened during slabbing that's for sure.

That is such a shame 893whatthe.gif...what a wonderful book...it still is a real beauty but when you think how it survived all those years in the basement, and then ironically to be damaged in what is essentially an act of preservation!

Life does stink sometimes. confused-smiley-013.gif

Adventure 72 before flake tore off

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=5824

You have to remember that you are looking at a highly magnified picture. That chip is actually only about 1x1 millimeters.

(or 1/25.4x1/25.4 inches to you non-metric guys grin.gif )

When I look at the current scan I now also see some damage on the top left corner, check it out. Compare both scans. But I do agree that the damage is fairly small.

Adventure 72 before flake tore off

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=5824

You have to remember that you are looking at a highly magnified picture. That chip is actually only about 1x1 millimeters.

(or 1/25.4x1/25.4 inches to you non-metric guys grin.gif )

Perhaps I am missing something here, but as I read this thread it dawned on me that the Before and After pics are 9.6 and 9.8 - If someone has already mentioned this, please excuse this post - However, am I right in thinking that this comic was "upgraded" from 9.6 to 9.8?

The 9.8

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=818&Lot_No=2042 for the low low price of $64,400

The 9.6

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=5824 for the bargain price of $34,500 (get it while you can - "upgrade it" with the help of some pressure and put $30,000 in your bank account

Is nothing sacred in this hobby?

From the Heritage description of the 9.6 back in March 2003:

Adventure Comics #72 Mile High pedigree (DC, 1942) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages. ........... This is by far the highest copy graded , and being the Mile High/Edgar Church copy, it's a pretty safe bet that there will never be a nicer copy. Every once in awhile you land a copy of a book that tells you that your incessant search for an upgrade is over... this is that book! Overstreet 2002 NM 9.4 value = $14,000.

Seems you would have lost your bet (unless you consider that the 9.6 and 9.8 are the same book and you just pocketed $30,000)