• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book would you buy for the CGC label?
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I was just having a chat with @Wall-Crawler in messenger and, long story short, I said I would buy a 1st print of Batman Damned #1 if CGC had “1st Batawang” or “1st appearance of Bat wang” or similar on the label.

Made me wonder what books people would buy if a certain detail was listed on the label? 

On 10/24/2021 at 8:11 PM, Arkham said:

I was just having a chat with @Wall-Crawler in messenger and, long story short, I said I would buy a 1st print of Batman Damned #1 if CGC had “1st Batawang” or “1st appearance of Bat wang” or similar on the label.

Made me wonder what books people would buy if a certain detail was listed on the label? 

Dont think they would write that,maybe writting first edition uncensored or with nudity but i don think theyd put bat wang lol

On 10/24/2021 at 9:11 PM, Randall Dowling said:

There are zero books that I would purchase for the CGC label.  The comics and mags are all I care about.  Not a competition with others for highest graded.  Not a third party graphic.  Not a signature verification.  Not a number.  Not any kind of notation.  

Not even one that plays the Hong Kong Phooey theme song, Douglas?

Seriously, because I generally agree with you, it became a thought experiment. I had to think outside the box. “Ok, what other-than-the-book itself silliness could I conceive of that would actually make me shell out a few bucks based on it, not the book?” I gotta give @Namtak credit for coming up with greeting card style push button theme music so quickly! 
Again, it would have to be for a cheap book so that it’s for the sake of the silly gimmick itself. I wouldn’t shell out extra for an AF15 slab that sings the Spider-Man theme song from the old cartoons. Beverly Hillbillies, I might do it….

Edited by Readcomix
Inscrutable typo

I bought the Spider-man Free Comic Book Day 2020 in a CGC 9.8 for $30 awhile ago just for the label. I had gotten back into collecting during COVID, and I just wanted the label that says "1st full appearance of Virus (distributed after Venom 26 due to COVID-19 pandemic shipping delay)." Stupid reason? Maybe, but I assure you I've spent more money on even stupider things.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 10/24/2021 at 8:48 PM, Readcomix said:

Not even one that plays the Hong Kong Phooey theme song, Douglas?

Seriously, because I generally agree with you, it became a thought experiment. I had to think outside the box. “Ok, what other-than-the-book itself silliness could I conceive of that would actually make me shell out a few bucks based on it, not the book?” I gotta give @Namtak credit for coming up with greeting card style push button theme music so quickly! 
Again, it would have to be for a cheap book so that it’s for the sake of the silly gimmick itself. I wouldn’t shell out extra for an AF15 slab that sings the Spider-Man theme song from the old cartoons. Beverly Hillbillies, I might do it….

There was a day when I was more attracted to novelty and sensation but this is just where I've landed.  To me, the new labels are purely a way to increase volume of work for CGC.  And it's been very successful doing so.  Some really enjoy it and that's fine for them.

It's just not for me.

On 10/24/2021 at 10:48 PM, Randall Dowling said:

There was a day when I was more attracted to novelty and sensation but this is just where I've landed.  To me, the new labels are purely a way to increase volume of work for CGC.  And it's been very successful doing so.  Some really enjoy it and that's fine for them.

It's just not for me.

Same here; just trying to have fun with the topic. It would take more than a character image on a label to get me to pay more. 

On 10/25/2021 at 4:08 AM, Readcomix said:

That's a great juxtaposition...do octopus really do that????

Yup.  They can walk or scuttle like that.

Amazing animals.

Edited by Ken Aldred