• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Few Unusual Slabs- Amazing Adult Fantasy 10 and Metal Men 37- Now 20% off!!

23 posts in this topic

The usual rules for this thread apply:

-No HoS or Probation list buyers

-No buyers that I have on ignore (you probably know who you are but if you're not sure, I'll let you know)

-No shipping to Canada unless I've sold to you before (pretty much just one and he knows who he is  (thumbsu)

-Payment via Paypal

-Shipping via USPS Priority for $12 for the continental United States.  Shipping for Canada will be quoted.

-First :takeit: in the thread wins and prevails over pm offers

-Returns accepted for 14 days after delivery

Feel free to pm with offer or questions.  I'm always open to reasonable package offers. 

My Kudos thread is here for those that don't know me:

Thanks for looking!

Edited May 5 by Randall Dowling 
Title Update

Edited by Randall Dowling

Batman 221, CGC 8.0 White Pages.  Another book that looked better than the assigned grade.  Excellent colors on a classic Neal Adams cover.  

Not a lot to go on for this book other than raw VFs seem to sell for around $100.  This book is $120.  Sold.

Spoiler

bat1.19792-2.thumb.jpg.33abd38ae20356497125a21351d00ec0.jpg

Sold

Metal Men 37, CGC 9.2 White Pages.  Another unusual slab with a tough black cover.  For me, it's a classic.  Only 4 in 9.4 and 2 in 9.6 above this copy.

Very difficult book to price.  High grade copies are challenging.  This copy is $250.

6B9DF540-2E87-4E68-97F0-F457CA65CFE6.thumb.jpeg.3a882db9f8e6a044b19c8d2208a9f414.jpeg

Photo added

On 10/25/2021 at 6:37 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Batman 221, CGC 8.0 White Pages.  Another book that looked better than the assigned grade.  Excellent colors on a classic Neal Adams cover.  

Not a lot to go on for this book other than raw VFs seem to sell for around $100.  This book is $120.

image.png.928439f80bb227f160c9fb669af7e0ba.png

On 10/25/2021 at 7:37 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Not a lot to go on for this book other than raw VFs seem to sell for around $100.  This book is $120.  Sold.

Hide contents

Best Bat cover of the Adams run. 

On 10/25/2021 at 8:32 PM, Professor K said:

Best Bat cover of the Adams run. 

It's got it all, doesn't it? Gargoyle, Batman on a gargoyle, mob, mob carrying torches on a well lit, city street, wack-o leader of the mob calling bats "my pets", same weird, withered, poorly drawn "Bat-leg" like on Detective Comics 405, 410 & 411.

My PERSONAL favorite will always be #244. #227 is a NICE cover. Black. Nice homage. Shows up every ding, miswrap and flaw.

I bought a nice, raw copy of #221 a few months ago. It wasn't enough collectors wanted all the Adam's c/a issues. Then, everyone started paying attention to the covers only issues.

Hate to say it but I bet Randall could have easily gotten $200+ for this graded copy. Thing is hot right now. Greg Reece and Sons are selling a dandy of a 9.6 with lower grade paper right now. Me wantee.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:52 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Jungle Comics 159, CGC 8.5 C/OW Pages.  The later books in all the Fiction House runs have some of the best covers.  This is my personal favorite of Jungle Comics.  This copy is nice and vibrant in the slab (probably even better out!).  The reds, blues and greens are true to the scan.  There are only 3 copies graded higher than this copy- 2 in 9.4 and 1 in 9.2.  Very difficult book in high grade that I won't be sad if it doesn't sell.  $580 firm.

jun1_1784.thumb.jpg.7078daa3570998d6852011545d3cf9d5.jpg

:takeit: Jungle 159

On 11/6/2021 at 7:39 PM, Randall Ries said:

It's got it all, doesn't it? Gargoyle, Batman on a gargoyle, mob, mob carrying torches on a well lit, city street, wack-o leader of the mob calling bats "my pets", same weird, withered, poorly drawn "Bat-leg" like on Detective Comics 405, 410 & 411.

My PERSONAL favorite will always be #244. #227 is a NICE cover. Black. Nice homage. Shows up every ding, miswrap and flaw.

I bought a nice, raw copy of #221 a few months ago. It wasn't enough collectors wanted all the Adam's c/a issues. Then, everyone started paying attention to the covers only issues.

Hate to say it but I bet Randall could have easily gotten $200+ for this graded copy. Thing is hot right now. Greg Reece and Sons are selling a dandy of a 9.6 with lower grade paper right now. Me wantee.

I am bummed I missed this, I love that cover and currently only have a mid-grade raw.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:39 PM, Randall Ries said:

Yep. And it has the Huge BATMAN logo. I have a 9.0 White. I tried to upgrade to a I think it was a 9.6 or maybe 9.4.  The Alfred Pennyworth auction. I like how Ol' Neal had a way of making some covers look almost illuminated. Nick Cardy as well.  Like HOM 178 and Witching Hour 4. 

The withered legs on those covers? Legs are tough to draw I guess. Spider-Man has some bad ones also in that era.  244, Nice colors. I just can't get past the Austin Powers chest hair on Batman, then again it was the 70's. 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:12 PM, Randall Ries said:

Now, I have a theory on that. Not Austin Powers. Burt Reynolds. His Playgirl spread was a few months before the cover to Bat 244.

Yes, that very may well have been Adams inspiration or influence. Or, or Sonny Corleone. Godfather was just out earlier that year and James Caan is a hairy SOB. But probably Burt.