• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - JIM 83 (signed by Stan)
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I have a raw JIM 83, signed by Stan, but with resto on the front cover in the purple box/top of building area along the spine (chunk out/replaced).

I've had this book for 30+ years, and had it signed by Stan about 30 years ago in red sharpie.

Amateur(?) resto with a piece of tape on the inner cover. I have no idea if it's archival tape. But that area has held together/aged well compared to typical scotch tape.
I do not know how long ago the resto was performed, as I purchased the book with this resto already in place.

This is a pretty good-looking copy except for that resto AND a bug chew along the top right corner (looking at the cover).
The chews/nibbles, counting from back to front go from the back cover all the way into page 7 of the book. The first 6 pages are unaffected.

I neglected to take photos of the staples, but they are quite snug & have no oxidation/rust. Centerfold secure.

Page quality is not white. Likely C to OW, but perhaps OW. The book feels supply and 'bouncy' in-hand.

There is a small moisture drop evident on the interior of the cover, LLC area.

Top of spine has a small piece out/tear away. Top edge of back cover a little rough wear. Nothing to catastrophic.

So - looking for a little guidance on where this one settles out.

Seems better than a 2.0. Maybe up to a 3.0? But the bug chews probably keep it from touching a 3.5.

Any help & grades you think of are greatly appreciated!

JIM-fullFC.jpg

JIM-front-ULC.jpg

JIM-front-URC.jpg

JIM-front-LLC.jpg

JIM-front-LRC.jpg

JIM-front-TopStaple.jpg

JIM-front-BottomStaple.jpg

JIM-front-StanSig.jpg

JIM-front-resto.jpg

JIM-interiorFC-resto.jpg

JIM-interiorFC-LLC.jpg

JIM-fullBC.jpg

JIM-back-ULC.jpg

JIM-back-URC.jpg

JIM-back-LLC.jpg

JIM-back-LRC.jpg

JIM-back-tophalf.jpg

JIM-BugChew-2.jpg

JIM-Interior-Pg6 top.jpg

JIM-Interior-Pg6 bottom.jpg

JIM-Interior-Pg7 top.jpg

JIM-Interior-Pg7 bottom.jpg

JIM-interiorBC-TopSpine.jpg

JIM-interiorBC-LowerSpine.jpg

JIM-TopSpine.jpg

JIM-interiorBC-URC-bugChew.jpg

Very nice description of the book's flaws.

I'll add the right edge of the front cover appears trimmed.

Purple Label 2.5 but 3.0 wouldn't surprise me.

Thanks for posting.

On 10/30/2021 at 8:05 AM, Chief1332 said:

For all of the detractors, it still looks pretty nice.  Given the Key status of the book, would some professional attention be appropriate?

That's a very good question!
I have given it a little thought over the years, but I always ended up in the 'leave-it-alone' camp.
But if the bug-chew area were to be re-worked and the top of the spine and a bit on the top back cover - I do wonder what the restored grade could achieve.
No idea on re-working the large chunk out of the cover that has already been replaced.

It's an interesting idea for sure!

Edited by HighVoltage
can't spell!