• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four #28
4 4

15 posts in this topic

I see about a 6.0 and not much to press out. But pressing is the expectation nowadays and CGC will likely ding you if you put it in front of them with defects that could've been pressed out.

Thanks for posting.

I too see about a 5.5 to 6.0 with the chip out of the corner on back

Plus the edges are rough

It presents nice at that grade though :whee:

Still perhaps a little soiling or dirt too it, at 5.5 to 6.0

Chip is not bad enough to drop this much below the solid 8.0 it appears to be. If this is submitted as is, I'll wager 7.5 is the result. But, most 6.5 to 8.5 #28s look anemic compared to this one. This is a special #28. The colors pop like few 28'scolors do and Idon't see any transparency. That is, the printing, the inks of the inside front coverthat are usually visible when looking at the front cover, whetherthe cover is closed or open. This one is beautiful, and the cover stock is still "thick". It hasn't aged to look more like onion skin than paper due to off-gassing from the pulpy pages. It not only survived beautifully with only minor wear flaws, but also avoided storage crimps and rolls, as well as the environmental type of impact that basement or attic storage can cause like transparency, yellowing, edge stripes, etc.. 

My guess is that the pages are either off white/white or white, and the book has no perceptible acidic odor. This is a beautifully exceptional 28 with Pedigree quality paper and it will sell for more than the technical grade due to the super pop of its eye appeal.

Do you have more from this collection that yielded that 28? Post them if so, we'd love to see them. 

On 10/28/2021 at 9:38 AM, Frankielo said:

Thanks for taking a look thinking of getting it slabbed,will a clean and press help?thanks

3DD05807-323D-4459-AF0A-FBBF46CA719A.jpeg

60087506-AEF0-493D-99E6-79FA246CE66A.jpeg

312AECC5-31EB-478A-93D7-15163C985AB2.jpeg

0D9A608B-6AC9-4107-9FA3-3A283010D6E8.jpeg

C552D4B0-CFE8-4C04-8608-6AC4B64EC4A7.jpeg

The colors haven't aged a second since printed. This is the perfect example to use to gauge the degree of color fade of other 28s against, No printing smears either. What are the chances? What a great piece. Special. Exceptional

I purchased most of my collection in the early to mid-70s,my MO was every Saturday morning 2mile bicycle ride to a stationary store with a LCS right next to it,picked up the new releases then go next-door and pick up back issues for 25-50 cents (sounds great but you can only imagine the big books they had on the wall behind the counter and what I could’ve bought some of those for… Ugh)so my grades are all over the place. anyhow what do you think ? clean and press or not,problem is the clean and press takes such a long time is it worth it and am I really going to get much better of a grade?

On 11/1/2021 at 2:00 AM, Frankielo said:

anyhow what do you think ? clean and press or not,problem is the clean and press takes such a long time is it worth it and am I really going to get much better of a grade?

No-one here is going to tell you don't get a C&P. If you have had this book for the best part of 50 years, what's another few months' wait to get that done?

I am with @James J Johnson on the merits of this book and think it would get a 7.5 with a nice C&P