• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THREAD CLOSED Comic Books Will Rot Your Brain! Great anti-comics items from the 1940's and 50's, including the 1955 US Senate report!
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I hope you and yours are able to stay safe and healthy during these trying times.

Welcome to my thread.  A few items related to the anti-comics hysteria of the late 1940's and early 1950's.  

Payment via PayPal goods & services.  Local pickup in the Springfield, MA area can be arranged.  

Payment is expected within 7 days of invoicing.  After 7 days, I may relist an item if I haven't heard from you.

Returns for any reason welcome within 14 days.  If the return is due to my error, I pay return shipping; otherwise, you pay return shipping. 

These items come from a smoke-free and, to the best of our knowledge, COVID-free house.

No probationites or shameful ones.  And nobody who gets into arguments that Hulk 180 is *really* the first appearance of Wolverine.

Secure Priority Mail shipping anywhere in the US is included in the prices.  Prices listed are for US shipping.  If you're outside the US, just contact me and I'll find out how much shipping will be.  It will be expensive, because I'll only use a shipping service that allows me to insure an item for its full value.

PM's are welcome, but "take it" in thread beats everything else. Please understand that this applies to everybody equally.  If you send me a PM, I'll get to it eventually but know that a post in thread can trump you.

My top priority is my family and my second priority is my full-time job.  After that, it's comics.  So please understand if I don't reply to your inquiries immediately.  I try to make sure that I check in at least once per day while I have a sales thread going.

Edited by SOTIcollector

Love & Death, paperback, Breaking Point, 1949.  $60 shipped in the US.

Long before there was Seduction of the Innocent, there was Love & Death by Gershon Legman. 

One of several essays in the book is "Not For Children", in which Legman asserts that comic books are dangerous for kids.

IMG_5895.thumb.jpg.9275a5ec8390d7f0b5f4089f3ca6eeaa.jpg

IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

IMG_5899.jpg

Edited by SOTIcollector

Neurotica #3, $250 shipped in the US.

... And before there was Love & Death, there was Neurotica.    Gershon Legman participated in the symposium "The Psychopathology of Comic Books" with Dr. Fredric Wertham in 1948.  Legman's anti-comics essay, "The Psychopathology of the Comics", was presented here, in the third issue of Neurotica.  This was the basis for what later became the chapter on comics in Love & Death.

IMG_5887.thumb.jpg.bf46e5119e414947e84710f8f335b3bd.jpg

IMG_5888.thumb.jpg.8107b8571cfd1262ff540c24b4c86f01.jpg

IMG_5889.thumb.jpg.1208a3fdecde8bf07efef6c03017a218.jpg

Gangsters Can't Win #2, FR, $200 shipped in the US.

Taking a slight detour before posting the biggie.  This one was not used in SOTI or L&D.  Wertham missed it entirely.  Nonetheless, it's a classic of pre-code crime.  Great skull cover and splash.  1/2 of BC missing, and cover is detached.  Supple pages.  

In July, a 5.0 sold for $1560 at Heritage.  

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5902.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5904.jpg

Thanks, that’s fascinating!
No, no, it’s nothing uniqueas your incredible items. It’s a postwar german magazine which could be of interest to you as it contains an article about comics and pop culture (mentioning Wertham) from an anti-american perspective.
P.S. I have just landed a sort of "equivalent" to your senate committee document as far as italy goes. It’s from 1939, and I have yet to receive it — very excited!

Price drops! 

Gangsters Can't Win #2 was $200, now $150 shipped in the US.

Neurotica #3 was $250, now $200 shipped in the US.

Neurotica #6 was $100, now $80 shipped in the US.

Comic Books and Delinquency, US Senate report (Committee print), was $1200, now $1150 shipped in the US.