• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing 9.6 CGC Graded Comics ?

18 posts in this topic

I have 2 Hulk #340 that came back as 9.6 CGC graded. When I look close at the cover I can see very minor finger bends (minor) and very very very slight on the spine. What is people's opinion about getting the books pressed and hoping for a 9.8. Honestly the books look clean as heck. I kn0w I can get $500-$600 for 9.6 but 9.8 goes for $1400-?. Thanks for reading. 

Edited by Sgtmjwilson
Update

On 10/31/2021 at 8:36 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

I have 2 Hulk #340 that came back as 9.6 CGC graded. When I look close at the cover I can see very minor crease (minor) and very very very slight on the spine. What is people's opinion about getting the books pressed and hoping for a 9.8. Honestly the books look clean as heck. I kn0w I can get $500-$600 for 9.6 but 9.8 goes for $1400-?. Thanks for reading. 

Hey Sgt Wilson,

I can refer you to @joeypost  He is a professional presser and will drop off all books at CGC.  

On 10/31/2021 at 8:56 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

Thanks. I did send Joey a message asking how it all works, costs, opinion, etc. 

https://cfpcomics.com/services/

I am shocked to see his turnaround times.  That is why I own the pressing machine since 2009.

Edited by JollyComics

Option A sell them as is and letting someone else make the $1600 or so in profit. Option B press them and you make the money. Finger bends are nothing. The kid with his chinese tshirt printer or grandpa and his encyclopedias can handle this. Joey will do these in his sleep. Spine tics aren't as simple but not a problem. Just make sure non of those tics breaks color or better term paper fiber. 

On 10/31/2021 at 10:58 PM, Thisisrequired said:

Option A sell them as is and letting someone else make the $1600 or so in profit. Option B press them and you make the money. Finger bends are nothing. The kid with his chinese tshirt printer or grandpa and his encyclopedias can handle this. Joey will do these in his sleep. Spine tics aren't as simple but not a problem. Just make sure non of those tics breaks color or better term paper fiber. 

Thank you for the feed back. Lmao of your comment as well. I think I will take some really good photos in the next day or two as well. I do not know Joey as of yet but I did send him a message.  Thanks for the response.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:26 PM, JollyComics said:

I am shocked to see his turnaround times.  That is why I own the pressing machine since 2009.

I really appreciate your feed back. You own a pressing machine as well? Honestly I am in a position that I want to do the right thing. If it takes a few months or whatever then so be it. I am not trying to get rich but if I sell my comics and I think they "might" be able to get a little better then great. Of course just the ones that hold a nice value. As usual thanks.

Currently processing books received/paid 04/01/2021—04/07/2021

Looks like 6 months behind.

Edited by Sgtmjwilson

On 10/31/2021 at 10:27 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

I really appreciate your feed back. You own a pressing machine as well? Honestly I am in a position that I want to do the right thing. If it takes a few months or whatever then so be it. I am not trying to get rich but if I sell my comics and I think they "might" be able to get a little better then great. Of course just the ones that hold a nice value. As usual thanks.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/ccs-pressing/

200 business days for Modern and Economy????   They received my two books. Both are restored so I need them to remove CT then pressing before submitting to CGC but 200 business days (pressing/grading combo)?  That is more than half of the year - 200 out of 365 days a year.  I chose Economy because their prices were too high for Standard. Both books are keys but I gambled on Economy.

I can do it in one or two days before submitting my books.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:22 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

Thank you for the feed back. Lmao of your comment as well. I think I will take some really good photos in the next day or two as well. I do not know Joey as of yet but I did send him a message.  Thanks for the response.

I don't like doing non paid endorsements. But I never heard anything bad about him and you are pretty much hiring an electrician to change a lightbulb. My guess he would make most people's list of good pressers. Worst case is you missed something and he recommends not going for a 9.8. You are out shipping costs and whatever he charges to look at your books. And cheap and or patient people wait 6 months. Which is fine. But I bet you guys could come to a understanding to speed things up.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:01 AM, Thisisrequired said:

I don't like doing non paid endorsements. But I never heard anything bad about him and you are pretty much hiring an electrician to change a lightbulb. My guess he would make most people's list of good pressers. Worst case is you missed something and he recommends not going for a 9.8. You are out shipping costs and whatever he charges to look at your books. And cheap and or patient people wait 6 months. Which is fine. But I bet you guys could come to a understanding to speed things up.

Thank you. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:01 AM, Thisisrequired said:

I may have to start a different chat just wondering if someone knows the Venom comic. I do appreciate your feed back. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:03 AM, Sgtmjwilson said:

I may have to start a different chat just wondering if someone knows the Venom comic. I do appreciate your feed back. 

I replied but don't see it. But Grading or common defects grading forum would be my suggestion. Modern or copper if it's about story or art.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:16 AM, Thisisrequired said:

I replied but don't see it. But Grading or common defects grading forum would be my suggestion. Modern or copper if it's about story or art.

I understand and thank you. I am started a new post to see if someone might know the Venom #1 Funeral Pyre comic. 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:26 PM, JollyComics said:

To me, this decision comes down to this: Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right? @joeyposthas always done excellent work on my books, and I am more than willing to wait for my books to be done right. To be honest, the books that I sent him recently were just sitting on a bookshelf. If I don't get them back until May (this takes into account CGC's backlog), so be it.

On 11/1/2021 at 4:37 AM, Math Teacher said:

To me, this decision comes down to this: Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right? @joeyposthas always done excellent work on my books, and I am more than willing to wait for my books to be done right. To be honest, the books that I sent him recently were just sitting on a bookshelf. If I don't get them back until May (this takes into account CGC's backlog), so be it.

I have done them for 12 years. I personally have pressed 900+ books and there were only 3 books that went below the expected grades. Their prices are rising and more expensive but their turnaround times are extremely slow.  My two books are now in CCS hands but I won't see them more than half of the year.  I would love to sell them soon but I need them to remove the color touch before pressing. So far, I sent only four books to CCS since 2009. Time and money is my top priority. They failed to increase the grade once.