• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone have knowledge of Venom Funeral Pyre #1 ?
2 2

40 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, topcat54 said:

So would it be a variant because of the price and the newsstand upc ?

Or does  ComicsPriceGuide.com not know what they are talking about?

1. That has nothing to do with this topic.

2. Technically, the Newsstand and Australian editions are variants for this issue, with the Direct version being the standard.

3. CPG is a pretty good resource, but it's not perfect.

4. Venom: Lethal Protector 1 has a Gold variant in addition to the regular red version. This issue has at least one copy with a manufacturing error involving the coloring of the holo-foil.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:14 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Maybe accept that it's just printed in a slightly different manner and give up on it being a super special one of a kind variant?

Sorry, it is totally different and please look at the photos. I am probably chasing a ghost meaning nothing but they are 100% different. 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:33 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

Sorry, it is totally different and please look at the photos. I am probably chasing a ghost meaning nothing but they are 100% different. 

I viewed your photo and can clearly see that they are different.

Maybe accept that it's just printed in a slightly different manner and give up on it being a super special one of a kind variant?

On 11/2/2021 at 7:42 PM, Fisionbomb said:

I viewed your photo and can clearly see that they are different.

I thought in comics potentially if different then what was intended that make them stand out. Like a double cover or cover on a wrong comic. I am not new to comic collecting I sent in my first 16 and most came back 9.4 =( and higher and I have 3500. I was asking the pros if they knew about this one. Thanks.   

The two images posted aren't variants.  I agree it's the standard cover with a manufacturing "defect" (if that's what you wanna call it).  It's like saying that the hologram covers for the X-Men 30th anniversary issues (Fatal Attractions) are variants because the hologram is blue.  Marvel didn't specifically manufacture covers to look that way, they happened to turn out that way because of the natural manufacturing process.

Similarly, I don't consider international editions to be variants.  I guess in a loose sense of the word, sure, it's a variant because it's a "different cover".  But I prefer to see it as a separate edition.  The Aussie edition was not made available alongside the direct edition and newsstand editions in the US.  Now, if you're telling me that in Australia, there were three editions available on stands at a given time (direct, newsstand, and Aussie edition), then yeah, I'll agree at that point that it's a variant.  But if it was exclusively sold in one market only, then no.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:49 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

I thought in comics potentially if different then what was intended that make them stand out. Like a double cover or cover on a wrong comic. I am not new to comic collecting I sent in my first 16 and most came back 9.4 =( and higher and I have 3500. I was asking the pros if they knew about this one. Thanks.   

Well I'm no pro, sorry, but you're asking so I'm answering. If what you're after is a special label for your book to signify that it's a super special error then send it back to CGC for regrading with a sticky note asking that it be designated as a super special error and see if they comply.     OR:

On 11/2/2021 at 7:57 PM, ExNihilo said:

The two images posted aren't variants.  I agree it's the standard cover with a manufacturing "defect" (if that's what you wanna call it).  It's like saying that the hologram covers for the X-Men 30th anniversary issues (Fatal Attractions) are variants because the hologram is blue.  Marvel didn't specifically manufacture covers to look that way, they happened to turn out that way because of the natural manufacturing process.

Similarly, I don't consider international editions to be variants.  I guess in a loose sense of the word, sure, it's a variant because it's a "different cover".  But I prefer to see it as a separate edition.  The Aussie edition was not made available alongside the direct edition and newsstand editions in the US.  Now, if you're telling me that in Australia, there were three editions available on stands at a given time (direct, newsstand, and Aussie edition), then yeah, I'll agree at that point that it's a variant.  But if it was exclusively sold in one market only, then no.

Thank you for the feedback. Not sure what I will do with it. Maybe like my Aliens #1 9.8 for $100 hang it on the wall to say one of 65 CGC. 

On 11/2/2021 at 8:02 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Well I'm no pro, sorry, but you're asking so I'm answering. If what you're after is a special label for your book to signify that it's a super special error then send it back to CGC for regrading with a sticky note asking that it be designated as a super special error and see if they comply.     OR:

Dude what really is you issue? May i have something rare and you do not? I have great feedback from others. Thanks

On 11/2/2021 at 5:02 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

Thank you for the feedback. Not sure what I will do with it. Maybe like my Aliens #1 9.8 for $100 hang it on the wall to say one of 65 CGC. 

Don't get me wrong, while it's not a noted variant, there are niche collectors out there who love these sort of publication issues that pop up from time to time.  The aforementioned blue hologram covers demand a higher price from some collectors and I'm sure those same people might be interested in a gold holofoil cover.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:06 PM, ExNihilo said:

Don't get me wrong, while it's not a noted variant, there are niche collectors out there who love these sort of publication issues that pop up from time to time.  The aforementioned blue hologram covers demand a higher price from some collectors and I'm sure those same people might be interested in a gold holofoil cover.

Apricate the feed back. Not trying to get holy grail. 

On 11/2/2021 at 8:13 PM, Fisionbomb said:

False.

Sorry my post? I have this comic I am asking people what they think. I can take negative feedback (like you) lol all day long. But I want to ask the others what they think. If I wanted a holy grail Xmen 1 at maybe a 9.0 =P

Edited by Sgtmjwilson
Update

On 11/2/2021 at 8:15 PM, Sgtmjwilson said:

Sorry my post? I have this comic I am asking people what they think. I can take negative feedback (like you) lol all day long. But I want to ask the others what they think. If I wanted a holy grail Xmen 1 at maybe a 9.0 =P

Then maybe accept that it's just printed in a slightly different manner and give up on it being a super special one of a kind variant?

On 11/2/2021 at 8:42 PM, Callipygian said:

Put "venom funeral 1 gold" into Google and there's a bunch for sale. Now I think the red cover is the rarer one lol

Its a later or earlier date then I have.

Edited by Sgtmjwilson

No worries. Many comic books have variations in color when printed, and many have manufacturing errors. X-Factor #1 has both a red and an orange cover, for example. (I have many showing both.) Many books with blue and purple predominantly in the cover will switch hues due to where they are in the print run on the machines. 

Silver Surfer 50 officially has known foil manufacturing errors. So does Deathmate Prologue.

SS50-printing-error-2.jpgSS50-printing-error-l.jpgdeathmate_printerror1.jpgdeathmate_printerror2.jpgdeathmate-printerror3.jpg

Edited by sckao