• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did u change from Collector to Flipper?
5 5

175 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

There's certain individuals that I won't sell to. They want deep discounts so they can profit off me. Nope! Not going to happen. Full price bub :) 

I completely agree!  

The idea of beating up someone on price knowing you're going to sell it for more money is repugnant.  l'd never do that to a member of the community.  That would be very rude and make for a bad reputation in my book.  (tsk)

Edited by Randall Dowling
missing "n"

On 11/2/2021 at 11:02 AM, Robot Man said:

I recently picked a large collection of these. About 150 books. First thing I did was pull out 25-30 I wanted for my personal collection. Then I started selling off the rest. Many I got because I knew I could sell quickly. So far, have sold about half and tripled my money. So I got 25-30 nice books for free and made a nice chunk of change to maybe buy a nice book or two that I won’t have to dig into my joint bank account to pay for. And still have more to sell down the line. Rinse and repeat...

E8A6F1D3-3AF4-4273-B503-64F59F1C8DBD.jpeg

D70FDEF8-53D8-4108-A165-5AA167E5156E.jpeg

wow, those are awesome (especially that Feature Comics), congrats!

I've always been a collector and love to sell to self-fund my hobby.  Getting back in the hobby after a long hiatus.  The first thing I noticed since returning is that my pricing knowledge can be thrown out the window, after what's happened to the market recently.  My question is when buying collections, if you haven't memorized the price of each book in each grade of the collection, how do you determine a fair price?  Do you look up some of the books on your phone?  Bring a guide for reference?  Take a best guess?

I feel like I answered this thread but can't recall so I will keep it brief haha

I always sold some stuff to fund the hobby. But to get books in my collection, I was mostly buying for me. Now that I am older and have money (and lots of books) I buy stuff I don't want to sell to fund the hobby more often because I can do so without worrying so much, compared to when I was 15-25 going to school and trying to make sure money went more important places (while spending a little here and there for the odd comic for me)

On 1/26/2022 at 10:53 AM, Rob said:

I've always been a collector and love to sell to self-fund my hobby.  Getting back in the hobby after a long hiatus.  The first thing I noticed since returning is that my pricing knowledge can be thrown out the window, after what's happened to the market recently.  My question is when buying collections, if you haven't memorized the price of each book in each grade of the collection, how do you determine a fair price?  Do you look up some of the books on your phone?  Bring a guide for reference?  Take a best guess?

I just ask them what they want. If it sounds fair or cheap I just buy them. That is if it’s something I want for myself or books I can move quickly and easily. So take a best guess I suppose…

On 1/26/2022 at 1:53 PM, Rob said:

If you don't know the price of books, you shouldn't be buying collections.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:16 PM, FlyingDonut said:

If you don't know the price of books, you shouldn't be buying collections.

I knew that was coming.  But there is no way buyers know the price of every issue, of every title, in every grade.  Also, I'm curious if you calculate the price of each book in a collection of 1000, or make an educated estimate?

Edited by Rob

On 1/26/2022 at 11:41 PM, Rob said:

I knew that was coming.  But there is no way buyers know the price of every issue, of every title, in every grade.  Also, I'm curious if you calculate the price of each book in a collection of 1000, or make an educated estimate?

If you're buying a collection you should be able to make a reasonable estimate as to the value of that collection right then and there. If you're calculating the price of each book in a collection of 1000 books, you're wasting everyone's time. If you can't do that, the only thing you can do is practice.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:52 PM, FlyingDonut said:

If you can't do that, the only thing you can do is practice.

+10000 practice and learn. If you are just getting back into the hobby and planning to buy a collection to flip, I'd advise against it. You've got to be armed with enough knowledge that you can make a profit on what you know is in the collection. You'll know stuff when you see it. You don't have to know the value of everything*, but you should know enough to know you're going to make money.

* I still get surprised by a some books when sorting through a purchase that are worth quite a bit more than the filler dreck i thought they were.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:03 AM, awakeintheashes said:

* I still get surprised by a some books when sorting through a purchase that are worth quite a bit more than the filler dreck i thought they were.

This.

I've been doing this for a long time, and I'm surprised almost every time.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:03 PM, awakeintheashes said:

+10000 practice and learn. If you are just getting back into the hobby and planning to buy a collection to flip, I'd advise against it. You've got to be armed with enough knowledge that you can make a profit on what you know is in the collection. You'll know stuff when you see it. You don't have to know the value of everything*, but you should know enough to know you're going to make money.

Well it's not that I'm a newb to comics.  I just need to familiarize myself with today's prices.  I know what the keys are and how to grade.  Just wouldn't have guessed a Hulk 181 in 4.0 selling for $3000 would be considered a steal.

On 1/27/2022 at 12:56 AM, Rob said:

I know what the keys are and how to grade.

If you’re thinking of buying collections or lots, you’ll miss out on a lot of $ if you’re only looking for keys. 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:41 PM, Rob said:

You'd be surprised.  As the others have said, there are always the occasional shockers, but when buying books, it really is best if you have a reasonable grasp on the current market.  In 1990, I got hired by the LCS because I could quote the current guide price in pretty much any grade for most books.  A lot more books have been published since then, but I still try to keep track of the pulse of the market.  It's just practice and wanting to get good at.  2c

On 11/23/2021 at 12:34 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I completely agree!  

The idea of beating up someone on price knowing you're going to sell it for more money is repugnant.  l'd never do that to a member of the community.  That would be very rude and make for a bad reputation in my book.  (tsk)

You are a good man.👍

On 1/26/2022 at 11:02 PM, awakeintheashes said:

If you’re thinking of buying collections or lots, you’ll miss out on a lot of $ if you’re only looking for keys. 

Obviously. That would be ridiculous. I understand that just coming back to the hobby after several years, I have some re-educating to do. Not looking to drop $50,000 this weekend. Was looking for advice on how others calculate value by browsing a lot or collection.  Is each book added up in your head, or are you figuring an avg per book for the whole lot.