• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did u change from Collector to Flipper?
5 5

175 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2022 at 2:25 PM, Mosh It Up said:

Sure did. You even quoted it. You should look into that reading thing you mentioned.

That post wasn't your first response to my original post. It was your second post. Here is the post order for you, boomer. 

On 4/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, darkstar said:

Hasn't selling within the hobby to support your hobby always been the point of the exercise? 

On 4/10/2022 at 12:32 PM, Mosh It Up said:

Not if you're financially stable. I have 13,000 comics and haven't sold one in over 25 years :acclaim:

^ Nowhere does it state you are only looking to acquire 20 more books. 

On 4/10/2022 at 12:50 PM, darkstar said:

You could have 26,000 comics by now if in your travels to buy books you wanted for your collection you also picked up undervalued books that you had no interest in keeping. Has nothing to do with being financially stable. If you can make money doing something you enjoy, like flipping through a longbox, it is probably worth your time to do so. 

On 4/10/2022 at 1:28 PM, Mosh It Up said:

"Undervalued books" lol why would I want such a headache? I'm not a dirty speculator (shrug) I don't need to flip books because I'm financially stable. I have about 20 books on my Want List, why would I want 13,000 more copies of drek?

Like I said, injecting your personal anecdotes into something that doesn't apply to you...so who could possibly care?

On 4/10/2022 at 2:34 PM, Mosh It Up said:

What's the title of the thread snowflake?

Your post was a response quoting me, ergo you were addressing what I wrote specifically, and not posting in regards to the original post and/or topic title. Details are important.  

On 4/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, Mosh It Up said:

Read better.

If you had done your due diligence over the past two and half decades you would have already acquired your 20 missing books instead of having found yourself coming up short in your later years. Good luck with your collecting goals and continued missed opportunities in 2022! 

On 11/1/2021 at 8:48 PM, 2Sunny said:

So, I started 2 weeks ago wanting to add to my collection, but now I’m finding excitement in the idea of buying cheap and selling dear.  Has anyone else fallen prey to the siren song of profit in lieu of simply collecting?  Can you be both?

You can 100% be both. Unless you are very rich you can’t buy it all. Thankfully there’s a lot I don’t want that others do so if I can get a deal on something to sell for profit towards more books, I do it. So I’m definitely both. I don’t generally go for hot books of the moment though. But if I can get a good deal on a $300-500 book and make a $100+, lll do it.

On 4/10/2022 at 6:52 AM, ThothAmon said:

BCW. 

Ebay completed sales. 

Open and inspect while taking photographs unless they’re all original owner who didn’t like scissors or your confident the books are complete  

If you want to move the less expensive items quickly list them at auction starting at $39, what doesn’t sell relist at auction for $19 and so on until they’ve all sold. It’s a lot of work but hopefully a labor of love and profit. Good luck. 

Thanks for the advice.  I've been an eBay seller for 25 years, and have sold comics here and there, but never an entire collection like this.  It's going to be fun, and I figure a major shift in the focus of my eBay store.  A labor of love for sure.  In no hurry to sell them all.

On 4/10/2022 at 12:46 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

You get to a point sometimes where it's just not worth the hassle. I would no more look to flip books to finance my hobby than I would change my own motor oil to save $15. The stuff I could be doing in my main gig in the same amount of time makes a lot more money than the money I would make as a part time flipper. When I was 25 it was different. Now my time is worth more than a few bucks.

Mr. Zipper for the win!

Here is my thing.never flipped,always tried to make runs on books.Now that I'm older,consolidation makes sense.I sold my Timely's,JIM'S,and DD"s,but kept my Spidey's,Surfers, and FF's...when the FF movie hits,I'm selling #51-126,and hopefully the rest will keep me happy till I have to dump the good stuff....it's all about timing,but I really want to keep the remaining books to my mid 60's,at least....I look at it as a bump for my SSI,and I'm grateful I bought most of these books at 1/5 of what I paid for.Not quite as good as real estate during that time period,but I can't complain....:peace:P.S.I'm 57 and retired...

Edited by squidmo2000

On 4/10/2022 at 6:43 PM, Rob said:

Thanks for the advice.  I've been an eBay seller for 25 years, and have sold comics here and there, but never an entire collection like this.  It's going to be fun, and I figure a major shift in the focus of my eBay store.  A labor of love for sure.  In no hurry to sell them all.

What did you pay for the collection and how many books are in it? Don't base the price of the books on "value" that you can find, price the books on a multiple of your COGS. If they're all for sale, who cares? Don't think of them as comics, think of them as widgets. Out they go.

On 4/11/2022 at 9:05 AM, FlyingDonut said:

What did you pay for the collection and how many books are in it? Don't base the price of the books on "value" that you can find, price the books on a multiple of your COGS. If they're all for sale, who cares? Don't think of them as comics, think of them as widgets. Out they go.

Spent $1200 on roughly 700 comics, so about $1.71 ea.  Would love to 10X my investment, but some are worth $100 and some worth $2.  So not sure if makes sense to price them all at $17 each.  But to your point, I'm more interested in eventually selling them all for $10k+ than worrying about profit margin per comic.  I'll bundle the lower priced ones for sure.

I'm late to the party here, but I have definitely flipped books before.  I don't really seek out books to flip, but if an obvious opportunity presents itself, who am I to say no?  (Half-Price Books was very good to me in the past, but I think that ship has sailed. Gone are the days of $1 New Mutants #98s and NYX #3s...) I just look for things I want to add to my collection and sell only if I have multiples of something or just need to free up space.

On 4/11/2022 at 2:07 PM, Rob said:

Spent $1200 on roughly 700 comics, so about $1.71 ea.  Would love to 10X my investment, but some are worth $100 and some worth $2.  So not sure if makes sense to price them all at $17 each.  But to your point, I'm more interested in eventually selling them all for $10k+ than worrying about profit margin per comic.  I'll bundle the lower priced ones for sure.

Sounds like a plan!

Short answer to the question.. yes for the most part.  Still holding some big books, but a lot I've auctioned off or sold privately. Waiting patiently for a major correction :wishluck:. It happened with Pokemon cards, sports cards, seems like video games too now so why not comics?