• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alleged Jason Ewert Submission Data Analysis

32 posts in this topic

I have finished compiling the alleged Jason Ewert's submissions. Like all data, it only is useful if the data is validated and scrubbed of mis-information. This has not occurred yet on this data set. If you believe there is an error in the listing, just contact me with the relevant information and once verified we will make the adjustments and re-post the data.

How was the data compiled?

The data was compiled with Bruce's list of Jason Ewert's auctions. Using those auctions and certification numbers, I compiled the invoice numbers and then gathered all books on those invoice numbers. In addition, many board members gave me certification numbers of books that they have purchased from Jason Ewert-I included all books from those invoices as well.

What concerns are there in this data set?

• The list of invoice numbers is not complete. JE's venues are varied and we've only uncovered the most obvious (eBay). There are missing invoice numbers that need to be added, and there are invoice numbers that should be removed.

• There are some invoices here that were not JE submitted. By Jason's own admission, he buys and sells books in various venues. As a result, JE could've sold a book that was already slabbed when purchased. In addition, because JE accepted consignments, some of these invoices could include books submitted by third party members. In addition, books were submitted through VIA that were not JE owned. You can almost see which invoices are probably not his, by observing some of the pedigree and low grade submissions.

How should you use this data?

Use this data for a general awareness of books that may have been submitted by Jason so you can make an informed decision when making purchases. This data is provided as a tool, not an end-all for finding JE books. The data will become more accurate as time moves on.

What are next steps?

We must remain vigilant and continue to report all books that are alleged JE submissions. In addition, we must continue to validate and scrub the data to ensure that it is accurate. Is the data complete? No way. Is this a good first step? Absolutely.

I will continue to research invoices. Please submit additional information to either of these forum members, who will keep me updated on what to add and/or remove.

Give me the data already!

• If you have OpenOffice (sxc), click here to get the spreadsheet version. Once you have saved the file change the extension from .zip to .sxc.

• If you have Excel 2002 (xls), click here to get the spreadsheet version.

• If you want a comma delimited (csv) file to import into other programs, right-click here and select Save Target As to save the file.

Graphs based on the alleged JE submission data

Submissions by Era

era.JPG

Top 10 Titles Submitted

submit.JPG

Submissions by Publisher (Top)

publisher.JPG

Books caught by CGC as Restored

restored.JPG

I hope this information is useful and that we work cooperatively in polishing and improving this information over time.

Sterling

Looking at this in conjuction with the registry, I found it odd that there

were no Tales of Suspense submitted by Ewert.... confused-smiley-013.gif

As I indicated, this data is neither complete nor verified. I need the boards to help clean it up....coordinate any additional information with myself and I will provide periodic updates. If anyone has the certifiation number of the Strange Tales, I will provide those books as well.

Understood Sterling thumbsup2.gif

It was just an observation, not implying any oversight...

Excellent job, btw! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

no problem. Just trying to articulate that this is just the first wave---we still need additional information from those who have books or have kept enough records to provide clarification.

This a board community project. Please keep the data flowing so we can get more (and accurate) data.

Actually, studying the spreadsheet closer, I see there are 20 Tales of Suspense in the group... foreheadslap.gif

Some other things....I love HOM books and there were some in the last Heritage auction that were a hit...

Also, you can see that the restoration really heats up in the last six months--much of the CGC caught restoration has been recent---about 26 books or so. This corroborates with CGC's claim that the missed restoration is recent.

That's correct--these are the books CGC CAUGHT--not what they missed. I didn't include other forms of restoration in the graph. It may be prudent to query all of the "Apparent" grades to get a more complete number--but the vast majority of PLODs were based on trimming.

Again, I'll repeat: this data is preliminary and needs to be verified. The data will become more accurate over time once verification and additional information from various resources can be obtained.

Outstanding work Sterling!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

If you'd entertain the idea of helping with the cause, I'd like to have you as an admin for the trimmed/restored registry thumbsup2.gif

I know it takes time to massage the data, but I do believe your expertise would come in handy as we may begin to track resubbed/pressed books as well (depends on the results of the poll)...

Outstanding work Sterling!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

If you'd entertain the idea of helping with the cause, I'd like to have you as an admin for the trimmed/restored registry thumbsup2.gif

I know it takes time to massage the data, but I do believe your expertise would come in handy as we may begin to track resubbed/pressed books as well (depends on the results of the poll)...

Well Done Sterling… I know that took a lot of time.

thumbsup2.gif