• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How 'bout a history lesson for the new guys.
6 6

252 posts in this topic

What they were all wrong many many years ago everyone was crying about pressing... not only that they created a group to force people to confess if a book was pressed... well the worm has turned now everyone presses cleans etc... personally I'm for it.   Other then that there was lots of great posts  and long long threads 

captain america.jpg

That's a good question,but if I remember the match was nondesclosure  I was on the boards at the time much more then now. I don't think CGC was pressing at the time.  Anyone who did it was shunned and given a scarlet P on their back.:cry:

On 11/7/2021 at 12:31 PM, WEBHEAD said:

That's a good question,but if I remember the match was nondesclosure  I was on the boards at the time much more then now. I don't think CGC was pressing at the time.  Anyone who did it was shunned and given a scarlet P on their back.:cry:

CGC has been pressing books since its inception.:gossip:

Don't forget the fun times where the forum banded together to take down someone who was drastically misusing CGC: there was the guy who was doing minor spine manipulations to up his grades (can remember his name offhand), and for a truly classic read, google Jason Ewert. That was a fun, formative event for the forums and the organisation themselves. I've been lurking since the Ewert thing got my attention via Rich Johnston, and wherever he was reporting from at the time, bringing it to the attention of the masses (I'd say he had a larger follower back then than today). 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:46 AM, oakman29 said:

I still think that it's a conflict of interest to press books and grade them, but who am i.

Personally, I see it the other way around. Given the choice, who better to manipulate a bookm a press, or clean, or both, with a complete understanding of what they themselves will judge to get a blue label? (shrug) 

Makes sense, one stop shop. People gravitate towards the path of least resistance thus ease. CGC makes that possible by combining both solutions. Mitigation and grading. What could be easier? 

Edited by James J Johnson