• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Longterm history of comic prices?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2021 at 9:09 AM, Poekaymon said:

Despite the people who have been calling for a crash for the last year (5 years? 10 years? 20 years? time immemorial??), *key* comics have reliably appreciated over time, not unlike the S&P.  I bought an H181 9.4 for 9k last year, which was an all time high, and people thought it was crazy.  It's at least double that now.  Anything can happen in the short term, but on a long enough timeline comics have been remarkably solid. 

The Doomsday Clock will inevitably strike midnight eventually.

I like reading comics, but I'm not that experienced when it comes to such information as to their history or prices. But it's pretty interesting, I think. I could never imagine that difference would be so big. And it's really interesting to read and learn more about comic books, their history and so on. It's summer already, but I still visit the summer book club once a week, and the next meeting will be dedicated to comics. And I think it will be a good idea to write a small article on their history. I've already found a few paper examples on this source https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/history/, it's not directly about comic book history, but at least I know the structure and what I can write. And maybe someone knows any other good sources, and maybe blogs dedicated to comics? I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Edited by lisafinn

On 11/8/2021 at 8:22 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Doomsday Clock will inevitably strike midnight eventually.

I’m a huge comic book booster and always get a laugh from all the doomsayers who predict the bottom is going to fall out.

Having said that — and just between us chickens — the one question that might keep me awake at night is this: What happens when DC/Image/Marvel/etc finally stop printing new monthly books? What happens when some bean counter finally passes down the edict that all titles must go digital, with maybe a trade paperback every six months?

I think the success of the MCU has done a lot to stave this off, but it still feels a little inevitable. Kids seem to prefer their content online, and even here, in a group that likes comics so much that we spend our time typing about them in Internet forums — how many of you guys are actually buying new comics to keep the format alive?

What happened to collectible record prices when compact disc delivered its smackdown? (That’s not a rhetorical question; I really don’t know. Keep meaning to do the research, but the days are just packed.)

On 6/28/2022 at 12:49 PM, Off Panel said:

I’m a huge comic book booster and always get a laugh from all the doomsayers who predict the bottom is going to fall out.

Having said that — and just between us chickens — the one question that might keep me awake at night is this: What happens when DC/Image/Marvel/etc finally stop printing new monthly books? What happens when some bean counter finally passes down the edict that all titles must go digital, with maybe a trade paperback every six months?

I think the success of the MCU has done a lot to stave this off, but it still feels a little inevitable. Kids seem to prefer their content online, and even here, in a group that likes comics so much that we spend our time typing about them in Internet forums — how many of you guys are actually buying new comics to keep the format alive?

A laugh outta the inevitable, eh? hm

Floppies will always be the favorite format for the medium, but collected editions are king.

The rest elicits a lot of conjecture. I'm more wondering - when it happens - how many times the comic book divisions of DC/Marvel/etc will be sold until it's accepted that the medium is dead.