• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EsquireComics Willing To Provide The Same Guaranty Offered By CGC

78 posts in this topic

In the aftermath of the Ewert fiasco several prominent comic dealers, most notably Stephen Fishler of Metropolis, Josh Nathanson of ComicLink and Mark Wilson of PGCMint, as well as others whose presence I am not intending to diminish in the slightest by not specifically mentioning, have taken it upon themselves to offer a guarantee on subsequently detected restored CGC graded books where CGC has intentionally declined and utterly failed to do so. The scope of the guarantee varies depending upon the dealer but the essence is the same; a perceived demonstration of support for CGC’s product.

As I have said in the prior posts on this topic, I applaud and commend these particular dealers for stepping up to the plate and providing such a guarantee. It is not only a positive effort by those specific dealers to restore some faith to a shaken community but it is a very smart business decision as well.

But I believe these pledges of trust sends the wrong message. I see no reason why any dealer or seller should have to guarantee a product or service that the very company which provides it fails to do so. Why should I promote faith in a company that does not hold the same faith in its work? I view these pledges as nothing more than temporary plugs for an increasingly growing cracking dam. CGC should be the entity that steps up to the plate and makes such a pledge with respect to its restoration detection service. It should do so aggressively and proactively, rather than defensively and selectively when a scandal arises.

Therefore, EsquireComics will offer no such blanket guarantee on the sale of any subsequently determined restored CGC book simply to bail out CGC for its own inherent failures.

I hope those of you who have bought comics from me, or even those who have simply talked with me (or perhaps even just read my postings), recognize that I strive to be trustworthy and engage in the business of selling because of my love for our hobby rather than any significant desire to profit along the way (not that this is a bad thing). So, what will EsquireComics “guaranty”?

* As I have from the very beginning of EsquireComics, going back one year now, I will accept returns of CGC books for whatever reason so long as the book is returned in the same condition as received and within a reasonably specified time period. If a buyer does not agree with CGC’s grade, send it back. The fact that most sellers, even today, decline to offer such a return fuels the façade that buyers can place 100% trust in CGC graded books and shifts the burden of caveat emptor fully to the buyer in a circumstance that I feel is inappropriate. As a seller I provide a service, and I want my customers to be satisfied;

* If a CGC book I sold which is labeled unrestored turns out, in fact, to be restored, then I will work with the buyer to arrive at a mutually acceptable resolution which would, at a minimum, include negotiations with CGC and any previously identified owner to provide reimbursement. If necessary, I would utilize my legal services free of charge to the buyer against whomever the defendant(s) may be in order to attempt, if legally feasible, to obtain a recovery;

* I will always accept a return of a raw book sold unrestored that turns out to be restored, and will refund the purchaser’s full price. Of course, some reasonable time frame must be imposed. I would think one year is a sufficient time period to require a buyer to have a restoration check conducted. Although I would certainly entertain good faith discussions with a customer, particularly a repeat one, if that period was longer in order to arrive at a mutually agreeable resolution;

* I will always accept a return of a raw book that I have graded but where the buyer disagrees with my grade, and will refund the purchaser’s full price. The period of time for such a return is set forth on my website.

My overall policy on these delicate issues is not necessarily meant to be limited to those set forth above, and may be modified at my discretion without notice to the general public. Yes, this is the legal disclaimer (c’mon, what did you expect?). But these are some of my general thoughts on the matter.

As I have said numerous times before, I fully support the notion of a CGC like company. In fact, I like CGC and its employees. I only want CGC to succeed. Anyone who thinks otherwise does not realize the amount of money I have wrapped in the good faith of CGC’s products. But I don’t think good faith is enough under the circumstances, and I don’t see why I, or any seller, need to supply more than good faith in the form of an unequivocal guarantee when CGC itself will not do so.

I don’t know if this makes me the bad guy or not, but I hope it will serve to encourage CGC to take, at least what I believe is, the right step towards restoring true faith to our community by unequivocally standing by its restoration detection service as a true “Comics Guaranty, LLC” would and should.

Despite what the aforementioned dealers may say, I suspect their decision to fully guaranty cgc's restoration check is less to do with faith in cgc's ability, and more to do with providing assurances to their customers and protecting their livelihood.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but sometimes that is not a terrible thing.

a couple of points and observations…

Although the additional guaranty Metro, PGC, Paradise and Comiclink offered was positive for the marketplace (and of course themselves too), I have to believe that they all did so with the assumption that CGC would subsequently compensate them one way or another if this occured. Just speculation.

Also… regardless of the stated "non-guaranty" by CGC haven't they behaved thus far as if the guaranty was real? Not sure, but I believe CGC "bought back" the Bats 11 and a few others (and one restored book in a universal slab accidentally… recently)? In addition, haven't they worked with Brulato to ensure that any potentially discoverd Brulato-Ewert book found with resto will be made good on. I'm betting Tom's not expected to eat whatever that amount is himself no more than the dealers who offered an additional guranty will pay out of pocket.

I also thought that CGC said they were going to reimburse the owners of "Ewert only" books if they are determined to be trimmed after a re-certification? It seems to me from action and statements that CGC has, and intends to stand behind their product directly or indirectly at worst. I'm guessing the "non-guaranty" is a more a way out (safeguard) against a potential enormous disaster if one should ever occur.

I believe alot of it has to do with what circles you run with. Most of my books come fresh to the collectors' market from original owner collections. That is, they haven't been passed from dealer to dealer ad infinitum. If you know exactly where a book has been it's whole existence, it's easy to feel comfortable with it. I'm sure some of the big dealers' guarantees are to build a buyer's comfort zone, even though they may be harboring UDP's or worse. And you're not going to know if it's a PLOD in Blue until you crack it, if even then.

Also… regardless of the stated "non-guaranty" by CGC haven't they behaved thus far as if the guaranty was real? Not sure, but I believe CGC "bought back" the Bats 11 and a few others (and one restored book in a universal slab accidentally… recently)? In addition, haven't they worked with Brulato to ensure that any potentially discoverd Brulato-Ewert book found with resto will be made good on. I'm betting Tom's not expected to eat whatever that amount is himself no more than the dealers who offered an additional guranty will pay out of pocket.

That is why I said this:

CGC should be the entity that steps up to the plate and makes such a pledge with respect to its restoration detection service. It should do so aggressively and proactively, rather than defensively and selectively when a scandal arises.

Quick Points:

1) I don't think CGC has to guaranty they will buy a book back if they missed restoration. Why? Because they never owned the book in the first place. They should give back the grading fee, but I don't think they are obligated to buy the book that they never owned. If they want to, great, but they shouldn't have to.

2) Regarding your policy, fine, whatever. But to be honest you come on these boards like you are a real dealer. The fact is that you haven't added any new books to your site in over two months and have less than 100 books unsold in inventory. Lots of board members have sold lmore books thru various sources (i.e. eBay, ComicLink, Pedigree Comics, etc) then you have over the past few months. You might sell a big book every now and then, but you continue to IMPLY that you are a big time factor in this market and I just don't see it at this time. Maybe one day, but not yet.

3) Good luck with your site, but I do check it once a week and see nothing happening.

I think you are 'spot on' Mark in clarifing the flaws in CGC rules and policies. You are clearly an asset to the hobby. If I were you Id ignore guys like sfilosa who are clearly missing the point of your post. There are/ and always will be 'apologists' for questionable behaviour. And lastly,...not once have I construed any of your posts as implying you are a 'big time factor'.....thats merely a cheap shot,..imho.

KK

That said,..you gotta start buying OA : )

think you are 'spot on' Mark in clarifing the flaws in CGC rules and policies. You are clearly an asset to the hobby. If I were you Id ignore guys like sfilosa who are clearly missing the point of your post. There are/ and always will be 'apologists' for questionable behaviour. And lastly,...not once have I construed any of your posts as implying you are a 'big time factor'.....thats merely a cheap shot,..imho.

KK

Not the way I see it. Mark has stated many times "why should dealers guaranty CGC books", yet I've never heard anyone else think this is a bad policy. As oppose to thinking like a collector who wants as much guaranties from as many sources as possible, he seems to be thinking like a dealer.

And I've been trying to buy OA. But the stuff I want seems expensive and I just don't have a feel for market value of pieces. That said, I think I'm going to have to take a big plunge in the near future and pay a lot for a few pieces that I won't feel the need to ever sell.

I think you are 'spot on' Mark in clarifing the flaws in CGC rules and policies. You are clearly an asset to the hobby. If I were you Id ignore guys like sfilosa who are clearly missing the point of your post. There are/ and always will be 'apologists' for questionable behaviour. And lastly,...not once have I construed any of your posts as implying you are a 'big time factor'.....thats merely a cheap shot,..imho.

KK

Mark, with friends and allies like KK, who needs enemies? poke2.gif

Quick Points:

1) I don't think CGC has to guaranty they will buy a book back if they missed restoration. Why? Because they never owned the book in the first place. They should give back the grading fee, but I don't think they are obligated to buy the book that they never owned. If they want to, great, but they shouldn't have to........

When you buy a blue label book,you should get a blue label book. If not,then CGC is partially responsable.It should be like getting The Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

...... You might sell a big book every now and then, but you continue to IMPLY that you are a big time factor in this market and I just don't see it at this time........

Assuming Mark didn't find all his books in some basement,I would wager that the money he has spent over the last few years qualifies him as "big time".A few big time buyers can influence a dealers way of thinking as easily as his so-called peers.

Mark, I think you're touching some raw nerves here which tells me that you are right on and the CGC apologist are getting tweaked. I know that's not your purpose in all this, but keep it up and disregard the envy, you're obviously having some effect.

Assuming Mark didn't find all his books in some basement,I would wager that the money he has spent over the last few years qualifies him as "big time".A few big time buyers can influence a dealers way of thinking as easily as his so-called peers.

Mark is absolutely a big time collector, no question.

I'm just saying that most of his statements seem to be taken from a "dealers point of view" and I don't put him in that category quite yet.

Once again, who else (besides Mark), thinks it's a BAD THING that dealers such as ComicLink, Metro, PCMint, etc will guaranty any CGC book bought from them.

I think that is a great thing. Of course they are doing it to protect their business, so what? The buyer has additional assurances, which is a GOOD THING!!!

Quick Points:

1) I don't think CGC has to guaranty they will buy a book back if they missed restoration. Why? Because they never owned the book in the first place. They should give back the grading fee, but I don't think they are obligated to buy the book that they never owned. If they want to, great, but they shouldn't have to........

When you buy a blue label book,you should get a blue label book. If not,then CGC is partially responsable.It should be like getting The Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

...... You might sell a big book every now and then, but you continue to IMPLY that you are a big time factor in this market and I just don't see it at this time........

So you're saying that a big time collector is a big time dealer? There are lots of people who have spent Big time $$....but i think what Steve is trying to say is that unless you are spending Million$, you are not Big time..ala Heritage, Metropolis, etc.

I've sold TONS of stuff in the past few months ebay, private, various dealers...does that make me a big time dealer?

I dont think CGC would ever want to hold a guarantee that could create such HUGE liability EXPOSURE. If CGC offered a guarantee in which they were liable for their failure to detect resto and forseeable consequences of their failure to detect resto - imagine the underwriting policy on such a guarantee ? A guy like Ewert could set back CGC hundreds of thousands of dollars. Ultimately, I just find comics to be a scary proposition with much more risk than I would ever take. The ways to get screwed are so varied and bountiful (ie: slab damage, pressing, undetected resto). A deal would have to be truly amazing for me to throw $$$ at books....OA just seems safer and more dynamic. BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION.

I'm just saying that most of his statements seem to be taken from a "dealers point of view" and I don't put him in that category quite yet.

Well, that would depend on how you're determining "dealer" status, wouldn't it? It seems that you're looking at it from the perspective of sheer volume, and if that's the chosen barometer, then Mark wouldn't be a "real" dealer. But if I'm not mistaken, one of those books in Mark's inventory took in $130k or so, right? I can steer you towards many "real" dealers who sold longbox after longbox of drek and didn't come close to netting that much cash in a year.

Anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

I dont think CGC would ever want to hold a guarantee that could create such HUGE liability EXPOSURE. If CGC offered a guarantee in which they were liable for their failure to detect resto and forseeable consequences of their failure to detect resto - imagine the underwriting policy on such a guarantee ? A guy like Ewert could set back CGC hundreds of thousands of dollars. Ultimately, I just find comics to be a scary proposition with much more risk than I would ever take. The ways to get screwed are so varied and bountiful (ie: slab damage, pressing, undetected resto). A deal would have to be truly amazing for me to throw $$$ at books....OA just seems safer and more dynamic. BUT THATS JUST MY OPINION.

Thanks for clearing that up foreheadslap.gif