• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 10 - is this mold???
4 4

22 posts in this topic

My initial impression is that it's about a 2.0 because a piece missing that is as big as this one inherently limits the book to the GD 2.0 range even if the rest of the book is not too terrible.  (The missing piece is actually larger than what the text states in the Overstreet Grading Guide, which "usually" allows up to a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, but the rest of the book is nicer than your typical GD 2.0 copy, so some leeway is allowed.) 

There is one book in the Overstreet Grading Guide that has a similar size piece missing from the front cover - Whiz Comics #9 on page 250, and that book has some of the other defects apparent on your book, but the back cover of the Whiz Comics #9 isn't shown in the OSGG so a direct comparison can't really be made.  The Whiz Comics #9 was graded a GD+ 2.5.  But then you have a Captain Marvel Adventures #5 that has a somewhat smaller total surface area missing, plus some cover and interior animal chew on an otherwise higher grade copy that is graded at a GD 2.0 (page 259).  

If I had to grade this book for sale, I'd call it a GD 2.0 but probably would not argue too much if you called it a GD+ 2.5.  It's kind of a wobbler.    

Edited by FFB
clarity

Nice full date stamp, but it is one year too early as this book was on the stands in January, 1965. Undoubtedly, this copy was stamped with the incorrect year when X-men 4 was on the stands. 

Edited by Primetime

On 11/14/2021 at 1:09 PM, Skunkboy said:

Yikes! Im not sure - I'll inspect again in a bit.  How do I know if it's mold?

It looks a little green to me, but dark.  I think you'll know...it could be soil or an ink transfer too.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:51 PM, FFB said:

My initial impression is that it's about a 2.0 because a piece missing that is as big as this one inherently limits the book to the GD 2.0 range even if the rest of the book is not too terrible.  (The missing piece is actually larger than what the text states in the Overstreet Grading Guide, which "usually" allows up to a 1/2" triangle or a 1/4" square, but the rest of the book is nicer than your typical GD 2.0 copy, so some leeway is allowed.) 

There is one book in the Overstreet Grading Guide that has a similar size piece missing from the front cover - Whiz Comics #9 on page 250, and that book has some of the other defects apparent on your book, but the back cover of the Whiz Comics #9 isn't shown in the OSGG so a direct comparison can't really be made.  The Whiz Comics #9 was graded a GD+ 2.5.  But then you have a Captain Marvel Adventures #5 that has a somewhat smaller total surface area missing, plus some cover and interior animal chew on an otherwise higher grade copy that is graded at a GD 2.0 (page 259).  

If I had to grade this book for sale, I'd call it a GD 2.0 but probably would not argue too much if you called it a GD+ 2.5.  It's kind of a wobbler.    

Some great insight here - thanks!

On 11/15/2021 at 12:30 PM, Skunkboy said:

Here are some closer pics - it's definitely green-ish, but looks like an ink smudge or spray:

IMG_7625.jpg

IMG_7626.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7629.jpg

Let's hope so, and let's hope it cleans off.  Does it smell moldy?

On 11/15/2021 at 3:51 PM, Lpgk said:

that's mold. you should just sell that book off. you don't want that stuff growing in your collection. 

Argh! :pullhair:.  If it's really mold, it's going into the garbage.  I'm not going to pass it off to someone else.  Really frustrating - I got a really nice price on this copy.

Any other opinions?  Would love to be pretty certain before tossing this book - there's no smell that I could notice.