• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Grading Question
2 2

7 posts in this topic

I have a grading question for those who better know these things then me. I have a Fantastic Four #5. Far from perfect, but it displays nicely (see cover). Staples fine, pages a little browning but not brittle, no spine split, cover and centerfold fully attached. A solid copy, I would grade it as a nice 4.0 or so. BUT, inside on about half of the pages little pieces are torn out (see pic for examples). Does not affect the story, all the pages are there, but obviously a defect!

My questions:

• How much would that affect the grade? I mean I have seen CGC 3.0 with pieces bigger than that out of the cover, and these are inside and does not affect the story. But there are a dozen or so of them…
  • How would CGC label that? I mean if the book is slabbed, they would have to say something, otherwise no one would know.
  • For my own insurance how much should I downgrade the comic? From a 4.0 (let’s say if it didn’t have this issue) to what? 1.8, 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.5? For a comic like this one grade difference is a grand or two!

Thanks all - John

Fantastic Four 5 50per ques.jpg

Fantastic Four 5 Inside 50 per ques.jpg

Edited by AsterixTheGaul

On 11/11/2021 at 1:28 PM, AsterixTheGaul said:

How would CGC label that? I mean if the book is slabbed, they would have to say something, otherwise no one would know.

These examples should answer your second question (click on an image to enlarge it):

79612711_Action03-10.thumb.jpg.c3f92d745945acf5e43b1cad90e5840f.jpg1426029786_Chall01-70.thumb.jpg.bc8c5b7a0e64c00c1871a61b76a11406.jpg576076870_Master22-50.thumb.jpg.2888b87d48512711723fe2c10eddcd32.jpg

If there are a dozen chunks out of the interior pages on that book that would otherwise grade about a 4.0, I, personally, would not grade it higher than a 1.5 to 2.0.  You might get a 3.0 if one or two interior pieces like that were missing, but not a dozen.  

Regarding a 3.0 having bigger pieces than that out of the cover, I suppose it's possible on an otherwise high grade copy with the only significant defect being a similarly sized chunk missing, but in general a 3.0 can only have a 1/4" to 1/2" triangle or a 1/8" to 1/4" square missing from the cover.  These pieces are quite a bit larger than that and I would not expect to see a book graded 3.0 if it had a piece that size missing from the cover along with other wear that one might expect on a mid- or lower-grade book.  

Edited by FFB

The label would likely say margin pieces missing multiple pages, could easily see this landing as a 3.0 from CGC.  If part of one of the story balloons was missing, the book would be considered incomplete and get hammered.   You can have chunks missing from the cover and still be complete, but every word of the story has to be completely intact to stay complete.