• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coverless Superman #1

17 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2021 at 5:21 PM, CoyoteNY said:

How much would a complete but coverless Superman #1 go for?

Closest copy I could find was this Ebay sale recently. It wasn't a no-reserve auction, which I tend to believe is the true indication of what something is worth. Just my feeling, but still, roughly $18K for a copy missing the first 2 wraps and centerfold. My best guess is a nice presenting, coverless complete copy would go for as high as the $25K-$30K range. But in the world we live in with insane sales routinely, who knows, maybe more.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.16.53 AM.png

Edited by LDarkseid1

Last complete coverless sale according to GPA was for $46K over a year ago.

I see no reason that one should sell for less than that now. Arguably the centerfold is the most expensive wrap in the book, and of course the first wrap is the new, expanded origin of Superman, so those alone might be worth the rest of the book combined.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, Crowzilla said:

Last complete coverless sale according to GPA was for $46K over a year ago.

I see no reason that one should sell for less than that now. Arguably the centerfold is the most expensive wrap in the book, and of course the first wrap is the new, expanded origin of Superman, so those alone might be worth the rest of the book combined.

I would also like to know the details. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it wasn't a no reserve auction. But that doesn't take away from the fact if it did indeed sell for that then someone was willing to pay for it. I genuinely feel it wouldn't go for that much at no reserve auction, but more often then not let's be honest, no reserve auction is far from the best way to maximize a sale. Makes me feel like I shouldn't have let my Tec 27 incomplete .5 sell at auction lol.

On 11/17/2021 at 1:40 AM, Hoarder said:

Really?  A complete coverless Superman #1 sold for 46k?   Do you know the details?  Thanks!

Not sure how much added value this gave the book, but if you click on the details for the $46k sale on GPA, it shows: "Label Text: Logo & Superman images from original cover taped to color copy cover. COVERLESS Tape on centerfold."

GPA should really have that one sale separate from the other coverless sales, since it was actually "coverless plus front cover logo & Superman image".

On 11/17/2021 at 7:06 AM, Action252Kid said:

Not sure how much added value this gave the book, but if you click on the details for the $46k sale on GPA, it shows: "Label Text: Logo & Superman images from original cover taped to color copy cover. COVERLESS Tape on centerfold."

GPA should really have that one sale separate from the other coverless sales, since it was actually "coverless plus front cover logo & Superman image".

Ohhhh, it was that copy!

Yeah that copy is kind of a weird one, considering it has two large elements of the front cover and I believe the circle in the middle on the back. It previously sold for $27K at auction on Clink I believe, and then owner managed to flip it for $46K on ebay buy it now. So I stick by my estimate of $25K-$30K for a normal complete coverless. But once again, you never know.

On 11/17/2021 at 7:06 AM, Action252Kid said:

Think it is this one ComicConnect - SUPERMAN (1939-86; 2006-11) #1 - CGC PR: 0.5sup1.14489.jpg

On 11/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Closest copy I could find was this Ebay sale recently. It wasn't a no-reserve auction, which I tend to believe is the true indication of what something is worth. Just my feeling, but still, roughly $18K for a copy missing the first 2 wraps and centerfold. My best guess is a nice presenting, coverless complete copy would go for as high as the $25K-$30K range. But in the world we live in with insane sales routinely, who knows, maybe more.

This was my extra copy. I had priced it higher and worked my way down over a few weeks. I think it went for a fair price for what is there and the page quality being nice. Also, factoring in sales tax on these books for a buyer now it was closer to $19,000. I believe a coverless complete just sold for $19,000 + tax recently with married pages, but don't recall where I saw it? I feel a complete unmarried coverless would be around $25,000 with nice pages. I figure in addition to the origin wrap and centerfold the two next best pages are the Action #1 and Action #7 homage pages. I figure the Action #1 page should be $5k alone if nice, if the real Action #1 car page is a $15k page now at auction. Just my 2 cents.

On 11/17/2021 at 11:38 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

This copy selling again will be a good barometer now. https://www.comicconnect.com/item/936043

Yep, that's a weird bird ... I almost prefer it totally coverless and the origin page showing as odd as that sounds. Just the mix of reprint and real is annoying to me even though it's more complete. It will probably sell well though.

On 11/18/2021 at 7:56 PM, Monsters-n-heroes said:

Yep, that's a weird bird ... I almost prefer it totally coverless and the origin page showing as odd as that sounds. Just the mix of reprint and real is annoying to me even though it's more complete. It will probably sell well though.

I agree with you.

On 11/15/2021 at 10:20 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

On 11/18/2021 at 7:53 PM, Monsters-n-heroes said:

This was my extra copy. I had priced it higher and worked my way down over a few weeks. I think it went for a fair price for what is there and the page quality being nice. Also, factoring in sales tax on these books for a buyer now it was closer to $19,000. I believe a coverless complete just sold for $19,000 + tax recently with married pages, but don't recall where I saw it? I feel a complete unmarried coverless would be around $25,000 with nice pages. I figure in addition to the origin wrap and centerfold the two next best pages are the Action #1 and Action #7 homage pages. I figure the Action #1 page should be $5k alone if nice, if the real Action #1 car page is a $15k page now at auction. Just my 2 cents.

I was the one who purchased this copy, and yes I paid sales tax on it. There was a similar CGC copy for sale at the same time for about 1k more. I think it had the centerfold so it was more complete. But it had poor paper quality as you could see major discoloration around the edges and small pieces were falling off due to the start of brittleness. Yuck!

I was seriously thinking about sending it in for a proper restoration as it is missing the most common parts and I doubt I will find a cover and the needed pages anytime soon, or for a good price with how single pages are not cheap these days! Anyone have any thoughts on if this is worth restoring, or even if it should be. I would like to hear opinions on this.

I also have a Sub-mariner Comics #1 in the same condition. CGC NG coverless, missing first two wraps and centerfold. Thinking of restoring this one too. I also recently picked up a Showcase #8 CGC'd with missing cover and last page. The spash page is full of yellow tape and ugly. I did get lucky and found a first wrap for $65 and snagged it. So I just need to replace the cover somehow on this one. I don't usually buy incomplete copies like these, but sometimes you just have to get what you can afford haha

And in regards to the original question about a coverless Superman #1, I would think it should be worth up to about $50,000. There is a comic book store nearby me which has a .5 CGC complete copy for sale at $95,000 and I wish I had it instead of my copy...

Edited by Stoutman

On 3/20/2022 at 10:26 PM, Stoutman said:

I was the one who purchased this copy, and yes I paid sales tax on it. There was a similar CGC copy for sale at the same time for about 1k more. I think it had the centerfold so it was more complete. But it had poor paper quality as you could see major discoloration around the edges and small pieces were falling off due to the start of brittleness. Yuck!

I was seriously thinking about sending it in for a proper restoration as it is missing the most common parts and I doubt I will find a cover and the needed pages anytime soon, or for a good price with how single pages are not cheap these days! Anyone have any thoughts on if this is worth restoring, or even if it should be. I would like to hear opinions on this.

I also have a Sub-mariner Comics #1 in the same condition. CGC NG coverless, missing first two wraps and centerfold. Thinking of restoring this one too. I also recently picked up a Showcase #8 CGC'd with missing cover and last page. The spash page is full of yellow tape and ugly. I did get lucky and found a first wrap for $65 and snagged it. So I just need to replace the cover somehow on this one. I don't usually buy incomplete copies like these, but sometimes you just have to get what you can afford haha

And in regards to the original question about a coverless Superman #1, I would think it should be worth up to about $50,000. There is a comic book store nearby me which has a .5 CGC complete copy for sale at $95,000 and I wish I had it instead of my copy...

Sorry I'm confused, what do you mean you were thinking of sending your Superman 1 and Sub-Mariner 1 in for restoration? I mean I guess you could get the spine reinforced, which would be conservation and not resto anyway. But what exactly would you have done to it regarding restoration? People tend to not restore coverless comics, unless you can add the parts missing of course, which you acknowledged you don't have or couldn't get.

And as far as your estimation on cost, I think a nice presenting coverless complete Superman 1 could certainly surprise people and reach around $40K-$50K in the current market, maybe more. But who knows, maybe even a not as nice complete one. You were responding to a thread from late last year, which even though it's only been a matter of months, well we live in different times it seems from day to day lol. So I stand by the estimation I made November of last year at that point, but yeah probably worth more now. A CGC 1.0 just sold for $141K in a Comicconnect no reserve auction. So $95K doesn't seem all that bad for a .5.