• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detached Cover-possible restoration?

7 posts in this topic

I have an ASM 40 restored CGC 6.5, I'm eyeing up a detached cover ASM 39 that I feel would pair very nicely with my 40. I'm curious if I could get the cover re attached through restoration at CCS. Could I get a third party to do this restoration instead of CCS to save a couple bucks and spend less time waiting?

Thanks folks.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:31 AM, Devin Colman said:

I have an ASM 40 restored CGC 6.5, I'm eyeing up a detached cover ASM 39 that I feel would pair very nicely with my 40. I'm curious if I could get the cover re attached through restoration at CCS. Could I get a third party to do this restoration instead of CCS to save a couple bucks and spend less time waiting?

Thanks folks.

You could get the cover attached, either through CCS or a third party.

If your plan is to have the book slabbed, I wouldn't bother.   It will look good in the slab without the cover being attached. Also you will hurt the value of the book significantly once you go the restoration route. A blue label with a detached cover will be worth more than a purple label with an attached cover. 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, Devin Colman said:

Didn't realize this, thank you. What kind of grade is a detached cover blue label looking at?

I believe a detached cover can receive up to a 2.5 CGC grade blue label for Silver Age books. There have been examples of Golden age books that graded 3.0-3.5 with a detached cover. These books would have been 7.0+ if not for the detached covers in most cases. 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:41 AM, Devin Colman said:

Didn't realize this, thank you. What kind of grade is a detached cover blue label looking at?

On 11/16/2021 at 9:05 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I believe a detached cover can receive up to a 2.5 CGC grade blue label for Silver Age books. There have been examples of Golden age books that graded 3.0-3.5 with a detached cover. These books would have been 7.0+ if not for the detached covers in most cases. 

+1 

Hard to say without seeing the overall book, but I can't recall ever seeing a book grade higher than a 3.0 with a detached cover. 

There may some examples out there, but that's probably your starting point.