• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty Staple Removal??
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I'm considering having my CGC SS comic book submitted for a new re-holder but first I'd like to have the rusty staples replaced. Currently, the comic book has been graded at a 9.8. Will replacing the rusty staples bring the comic book grade down once its submitted for re-holder? 

On 11/19/2021 at 9:47 PM, RandyV said:

I'm considering having my CGC SS comic book submitted for a new re-holder but first I'd like to have the rusty staples replaced. Currently, the comic book has been graded at a 9.8. Will replacing the rusty staples bring the comic book grade down once its submitted for re-holder? 

... 9.8 with rusty staples? 

And you can't crack out then submit for a reholder.

Edited by Fisionbomb
Yup

If you crack the book out, it will no longer qualify to be a signature series book. If you replace the staples, and the replacement is detected by CGC, then you would end up with a book that is restored (purple label), and has writing on the cover.  

If the rusty staple bothers you so much that you are willing to change your book into a restored, non-signature series book, then your plan might be the right option for you. Otherwise, it is not a good idea.

A reholder is just cgc removing the book from the slab and as long as they don't notice any damage to the book they just give it the same grade etc. 

If you or someone who is not affiliated with cgc opens the slab it becomes submitting a new book. You may or may not get a 9.8 again. You won't get the yellow signature series label. And depending on the book, if you leave any trace of your staple replacement it will likely be detected. 

Rusted staples shouldn't be a 9.8 If it's an expensive book you should consider yourself lucky if cgc missed it. Or it was stored in a poor environment for comics. 

Will replacing the rusty staples bring the comic book grade down once its submitted for re-holder? 

It could. As has been mentioned (unless CCS offers the desired service) it would also move from Gold label to Qualified, Conserved, or Restored.

On 11/20/2021 at 12:28 AM, Thisisrequired said:

A reholder is just cgc removing the book from the slab and as long as they don't notice any damage to the book they just give it the same grade etc. 

If you or someone who is not affiliated with cgc opens the slab it becomes submitting a new book. You may or may not get a 9.8 again. You won't get the yellow signature series label. And depending on the book, if you leave any trace of your staple replacement it will likely be detected. 

Rusted staples shouldn't be a 9.8 If it's an expensive book you should consider yourself lucky if cgc missed it. Or it was stored in a poor environment for comics. 

If it's a 9.8 don't touch it.....

On 11/19/2021 at 9:04 PM, Fisionbomb said:

... 9.8 with rusty staples? 

Assuming the staples really are rusty, and it's not just an optical illusion or some such, I'd assume it didn't have rusty staples when it was graded. Improper storage can make books end up that way. The easiest ways to rust the staples on your 9.8 slabs are to store them in fire-proofed safes, or expose them to the outgassing from pyrite-contaminated drywall.

Obviously, if you've got a book damaged in that manner, there's no way to turn back the clock. You can't un-rust a staple, or replace staples, without earning a non-Universal label. And a straight regrade won't come back 9.8. That aside, I'd say that if you have a book like that, you have an obligation to disclose the situation if you try to sell it. Sorry for the bad news.

All that said, some pics might help, just to be sure that what you're seeing really is staple rust...

On 11/22/2021 at 2:07 PM, Qalyar said:

Assuming the staples really are rusty, and it's not just an optical illusion or some such, I'd assume it didn't have rusty staples when it was graded. Improper storage can make books end up that way. The easiest ways to rust the staples on your 9.8 slabs are to store them in fire-proofed safes, or expose them to the outgassing from pyrite-contaminated drywall.

Obviously, if you've got a book damaged in that manner, there's no way to turn back the clock. You can't un-rust a staple, or replace staples, without earning a non-Universal label. And a straight regrade won't come back 9.8. That aside, I'd say that if you have a book like that, you have an obligation to disclose the situation if you try to sell it. Sorry for the bad news.

All that said, some pics might help, just to be sure that what you're seeing really is staple rust...

Very neatly said. And yes. Some pics would definitely help!

Puts me in mind of the Edgar Church books that started out as white pages when found but, sadly, over time and less ideal storage some have gone to off-white or even worse.