• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet Price Guide no.9 1979 - Signed Wally Wood Original/Reproduction Art?

2 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm an absolute noob at comics - but I was pointed in this direction from the Newbie Comic Collecting Forum and was told this was the best place to seek more information about original art.

I purchased this hand drawn comic from an estate sale recently.

I've studied the piece under a magnifying glass and I'm almost 100% certain it's inks over pencil.

I can see some of the pencil marks which occasionally didn't get covered by the black ink.

It does not appear to be a print or laser generated.

Was wondering if anyone had any information on it?

It appears to be signed by Wallace Wood.

I did a bit of research online and found the original art for this comic already sold - so is it possible this is a reproduction by Wood himself?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_8798_IJFR.jpg

IMG_8799_IJFR.jpg

IMG_8802_IJFR.jpg

IMG_8805_IJFR.jpg

IMG_8806_IJFR.jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

Wonderful piece, probably a fan recreation but it's not the original cover art which sold at Heritage in 2007.  The original painting would be valued $120k+ today.  Authentic Wally Wood signature attached for reference, hard to verify w/o provenance.  Thanks for sharing...hope this helps.

HA 2007 - Wood OPG #9 Cover Art $22,705

1958574117_WoodOverstreet9coverart.jpeg.fca453c2a3013676b437346f2e546d63.jpeg

wizard-king-wally-wood-wallace-wood_1_037e40614aff2fd8ff345fc6a6b98045.thumb.jpeg.2538d90620afda9be669ddb62b76bf4a.jpeg