• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman Begins on DVD!

77 posts in this topic

Quick release of the DVD is the new normal. First it was a year, then nine months, then six, now we're down to three.

One company is now considering releasing the DVD the same day as the theatrical release. That way they only have to market the film once. Personally, I think they should sell the DVD in the theatre lobby where the film is playing. There are many films that I enjoy enough that I'd buy the DVD before I left the theatre.

Quick release of the DVD is the new normal. First it was a year, then nine months, then six, now we're down to three.

One company is now considering releasing the DVD the same day as the theatrical release. That way they only have to market the film once. Personally, I think they should sell the DVD in the theatre lobby where the film is playing. There are many films that I enjoy enough that I'd buy the DVD before I left the theatre.

I was reading about Steven Soderberg wanting to try this method of distribution. Everything at once. Most industry people derided the idea by attacking the source claiming that Soderberg isn't a 'business maven'.

Cool idea. But, they'd probably end up charging sick bucks (39.95-49.95) to buy the movie at release time to make up for the loss of ticket sales.

I was reading about Steven Soderberg wanting to try this method of distribution. Everything at once. Most industry people derided the idea by attacking the source claiming that Soderberg isn't a 'business maven'.

Soderbergh signed a six-picture deal with 2929 Entertainment, whose owners, Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban, are the real force behind the simultaneous release concept.

Robert Iger, CEO of Disney, is also interested in the idea.

Soderbergh signed a six-picture deal with 2929 Entertainment, whose owners, Todd Wagner and Mark Cuban, are the real force behind the simultaneous release concept.

Robert Iger, CEO of Disney, is also interested in the idea.

Sounds like we read the same article, Jeff. It appears you've read it more recently than I have, or else your recall is WICKED good (and I only read it within the last 10 days or so, I'd guess)!

I've gone through most of the Special Features disc, and I must say it is difficult to navigate through the menus. The menus are basically set up like easter eggs. Each screen is like a comic page and you have to arrow around to highlight a link. Can't wait to watch the movie.

I bought the Batman(1989) Special Edition also. It had a great featurette detailing the History of Batman. Lots of interviews with writers and creators like Denny O'Neil, Frank Miller, Alex Ross and even Bob Kane. Mark Hamill narrates the story also.

So how many people out there say this a classic

or atleast a decent movie...

I had surgery during the theatrical release and was so busy recovering

I didn't have a chance to make it to the show.

Is this a DVD keeper or just a rental?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BY FAR the best Batman movie to date thumbsup2.gif

Keeper all the way!

JG

Honestly, I think that's a shame. Less gap between theatrical and DVD releases spells doom for all the neighborhood second string theaters. There is one in the town next to mine that I love. I actually saw Batman Begins there a few weeks ago. Can't beat the $2.00 price tag. cloud9.gif

I put it on my Christmas list.

I'm not sure on the box set of the first four films on DVD. I hear that they're the older, cheap transfers (from VHS to DVD) and that a cleaned-up version is due out soon after. (Like how the did a great job on the Superman DVD. ) Anyword on this or am I wrong?

Great movie.

Unfortunately, I went to see Fantastic Four only one week later.

throw up!.jpg

I feel just the opposite tongue.gif

Same here. I loved FF but thought Batman Begins was fourth best of all the Batman movies. I preferred the two Burton movies, and yes, the Adam West flick over this one. Better than the two previous though by a longshot.

I'm not sure on the box set of the first four films on DVD. I hear that they're the older, cheap transfers (from VHS to DVD) and that a cleaned-up version is due out soon after. (Like how the did a great job on the Superman DVD. ) Anyword on this or am I wrong?

I think you are mistaken.

Moriarity over at Ain't It Cool News indicates in his review that these are all new transfers of the four Bat-films done specifically for this re-release. They've been working on this set for quite some time and apparantly the extras are quite good. Still doesn't cover up the fact that three of the four films are terrible, while the other one was ruined by Danny DeVito's over the top performance of the Penguin.

Honestly, I just can't understand how anyone could think that these films are better than Batman Begins. The 1989 Batman film is an unwatchable mess and the two Schumacher films are some kind of day-glo and rubber fetish nightmare. Maybe Batman Returns, but it looks like it was shot on a set. Batman Begins adds a real-world look to the franchise that had been sorely lacking since, well, the 1966 Batman movie.

And the 1966 Batman is awesome, and still kicks the living daylights out of all of these modern Bat-films.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you are mistaken.

Moriarity over at Ain't It Cool News indicates in his review that these are all new transfers of the four Bat-films done specifically for this re-release. They've been working on this set for quite some time and apparantly the extras are quite good. Still doesn't cover up the fact that three of the four films are terrible, while the other one was ruined by Danny DeVito's over the top performance of the Penguin.

Honestly, I just can't understand how anyone could think that these films are better than Batman Begins. The 1989 Batman film is an unwatchable mess and the two Schumacher films are some kind of day-glo and rubber fetish nightmare. Maybe Batman Returns, but it looks like it was shot on a set. Batman Begins adds a real-world look to the franchise that had been sorely lacking since, well, the 1966 Batman movie.

All the BATMAN movies came out on DVD today. All new transfers. Today I bought everyone of them. Including the ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN 1st season, 36 episodes. I think thats actually more than one season of Supes. So far I just checked out some of the extra stuff on a few. Each DVD has plenty of extras. Even the old 1949 Batman serial has been re-transfered. Looks great. Nice and clear and sound is excellent. Unbelievable for such an old movie.

The BATMAN BEGINS has a lot of extras. The free Batman comic only comes with the delux set. Comic is 72 pages. While looking through it , it seemed like looking through a small version of a paperback. Its a nice addition to the set. I wonder how many of these will be slabbed?

I've gone through most of the Special Features disc, and I must say it is difficult to navigate through the menus. The menus are basically set up like easter eggs. Each screen is like a comic page and you have to arrow around to highlight a link. Can't wait to watch the movie.

Maybe this is the reason why the holographic deluxe 2-disc boxed set with the 72-page comic book is selling for a lower or equal price in comparison to the standalone single disc at every store I've gone into today. 893whatthe.gifscrewy.gif27_laughing.gif