• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #5 guidance on resubmitting

9 posts in this topic

Welcome, Steve! great book.

It certainly looks like it has a shot at 2.5 to 3.0, barring any surprises on the back cover. There's a good case to do it for the eye appeal alone. The caveat is that the presser would need to be *very* careful that it doesn't detach at one or both staples, or make the spine splitting any worse.

I wouldn't put this survivor through the wringer just to try and squeeze that extra half grade out of it. The writing on the cover plus the other defects restrict the grade and to risk pressing is to court disappointment or disaster if damage occurs. But on the other hand you may improve appearance without actually improving the grade. I am always the boring voice of caution where pressing is concerned. 

On 11/28/2021 at 12:13 PM, Point Five said:

Welcome, Steve! great book.

It certainly looks like it has a shot at 2.5 to 3.0, barring any surprises on the back cover. There's a good case to do it for the eye appeal alone. The caveat is that the presser would need to be *very* careful that it doesn't detach at one or both staples, or make the spine splitting any worse.

Here's a photo of the back cover of my FF #5.    Still undecided as to resubmitting.....

Thanks for the welcome and advice.   Best Regards,  Steve

1142572512_FantasticFour5backcover.thumb.JPG.7edd5cc09cc64438a05d82ce6f6bc79f.JPG

On 11/28/2021 at 12:21 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I wouldn't put this survivor through the wringer just to try and squeeze that extra half grade out of it. The writing on the cover plus the other defects restrict the grade and to risk pressing is to court disappointment or disaster if damage occurs. But on the other hand you may improve appearance without actually improving the grade. I am always the boring voice of caution where pressing is concerned. 

Thanks for your comments!  Advice well received.  Best Regards,  Steve

Does spine roll hurt? Sure. But for me what keeps this book a 2.0 is the writing in the cover and the rusty looking staples.

If the staples were not rusty like that I think you would have gotten a 2.5-3.0. I wouldn’t waste the money on it unless you want a press to fix the roll and have it present a bit better 

On 11/28/2021 at 10:20 PM, thehumantorch said:

Hi Stevo.  Looks like a 2.0 to me.  Eliminating the spine roll might help this book's grade and improve it's appearance but I'd be worried about damage that that might cause.

Excellent point. With the rust/moisture damage around the staple area, you would def run the risk of those staples popping. Even a pro might have difficulties (and a true pro would probably pass on doing it knowing it will not help the grade). An amateur or newer presser probably would tell you do it, try and pop the staple, leaving you unhappy I would assume.