• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Selling Rare J. Scott Campbell Variants

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, I just got the grades back from CGC on my rare J.Scott Campbell Variants.  Both came in as 9.8's and are yellow label with Campbell signature series.  The Uncanny X-Men 510 variant has sold for $13,000 in the past and there are only four 9.8 yellow labels in existence.  The Black Panther 1 (2009) with Suri on the cover (predates Black Panther 5 (2009) her first appearance has gone for $8,000.  I am wondering if I should run an auction on Ebay or go to a more formal auction house.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Below are pictures of the books before I got them cleaned and pressed, signed and graded. Side Note: I am thinking if I time the Black Panther with the first trailer coming out that might boost the sale) I want to sell these books to finance a nice X-Men 1 for my collection.

BP.jpg

X-Men.jpg

Not ebay

I agree with @revat that eBay is too risky with that high of value items (I have no idea if those are the right values or not). Using the big auction houses may not also realize the value you think they should. Anecdotally I’ve noticed that more expensive moderns pull lower numbers than eBay when compared to Heritage. I would consider Clink or mycomicshop for those.

Auctions are tempting because there is a chance of a bidding war and a sweet new GPA high. However there is just as much of a chance of a giant crash because the one guy who was really making the market in the short run got his copy.

I would find a stable marketplace and BIN it.